The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There are specialty preamps such as the Cloudlifter series that are designed to provide ultra-clean gain without introducing additional noise associated with the usual high gain preamp circuitry..
I did checked Cloudlifter but even if they are making model for both microphones/instruments, it is still required to feed it with phantom power and AER Alpha has only phantom powered input for mic witch I use for condenser vocal mic...
Old 12-11-2023, 02:58 PM

I know my setup is not ideal and I really want to thank You all for Your advices.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Axman View Post
Well the Gain is set to max because of the weak signal from the instrument (pasiv pickup). The master volume is about 10 or 11 max.
But since I am also singing I need to set master volume according the mic input as well.
And singing also complicate using effect loop.
That makes sense. In that case I think it would really benefit you to get an active preamp, something like the Baggs Venue, Sunn Audio Pristine, etc (lots of info on preamps here).

The preamp should be the first thing in your signal chain - meaning the guitar gets plugged directly into the preamp, and then the output of the preamp into your pedals, then into the amp.

That will amplify your signal before it goes through the pedals and increase your signal to noise ratio considerably. Your pedals won’t sound as noisy because there is louder audio signal going through them, and you won’t have to crank the gain on your amp all the way to hear it.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
That makes sense. In that case I think it would really benefit you to get an active preamp, something like the Baggs Venue, Sunn Audio Pristine, etc (lots of info on preamps here).

The preamp should be the first thing in your signal chain - meaning the guitar gets plugged directly into the preamp, and then the output of the preamp into your pedals, then into the amp.

That will amplify your signal before it goes through the pedals and increase your signal to noise ratio considerably. Your pedals won’t sound as noisy because there is louder audio signal going through them, and you won’t have to crank the gain on your amp all the way to hear it.

Yes, this is the conclusion I came to as well based od my situation and Your adivces.
I ordered L.R. Baggs Session Align (since I dont need D.I.) so in few days I will see...
SunnAudio looks very nice but it is in higher price range and I can't try it before buying.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Axman View Post
Yes, this is the conclusion I came to as well based od my situation and Your adivces.
I ordered L.R. Baggs Session Align (since I dont need D.I.) so in few days I will see...
SunnAudio looks very nice but it is in higher price range and I can't try it before buying.
Hi everybody,

L.R.Baggs Align Session solved my problem and the sun is shining again
Due to really weak output from my guitar I have to set gain and volume on the Session to the max, but it does the job very nicely.
I got even a tiny bit of saturation knob on, it fatten a sound a bit.
A dont use the EQ compression, because it is adding a white noise.

Overall - I am very happy with the Baggs align series... I did try their Reverb and the sound is fantastic - very musical and alive.
When I want to treat myself I will get it (currently using EBS Dynaverb SE) and their Delay as well.

Thank You all for Your advices and insights!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
aer, pedal, preamp