The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Default new ceo7

got a new ceo7 coming friday. wondering what pickup you ceo7 guys are using. will be playing solo and with a group. don't want k&k. was wondering about the lr baggs hi fi. have the full anthem in a hd 28. looking for input and leaning toward trying the hi fi. thanks
Old 12-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want the K&K, I would look at the Ultratonic. I have two CEO-7s and have the KK lus the Ultratonic upgrade. It has made ALL the difference in my live setup. Of all the guitars I have owned with KKs, and that number is way to high to admit here, the CEO7 keeps its place at the top of "hard to control". I think those guitars being so resonant in the low end contributes. My Collings CJ35 and eEVERY OTHER GUITAR I HAVE OWNED were all easier to control with a notch and EQ. I love the way my two CEO7s sound live now. The extra sensor on the highs makes a big difference. I have not been impressed with the Hi-Fi sound samples but that may be a good option. There are some other SBTs that are supposed to be really nice. Maybe someone with one of those will chime in.
Old 12-23-2023, 02:20 PM

I had a LR Baggs Lyric in my CEO-7 and it was nice at low volume. At gigging volume with drums it was just midrangy, not nice.

I replaced it with a LR Baggs HIFI that I prefer by far.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 12-23-2023, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
got a new ceo7 coming friday. wondering what pickup you ceo7 guys are using. will be playing solo and with a group. don't want k&k. was wondering about the lr baggs hi fi. have the full anthem in a hd 28. looking for input and leaning toward trying the hi fi. thanks
Although I once had a Martin CEO-7 (wonderful guitar!), I no longer have it. The new LR Baggs HiFi is easy to install and easily removed for remedying botched sensor locations (quite unlikely with the included excellent jig). The HiFi sounds good and likely will please your aural pallet. Before you install any SBT, make sure there is enough room on the bridge plate.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-25-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

When I had my CEO-7 I installed a JJB Prestige 330 and it sounded awesome plugged straight into my mixer or one of my Loudbox amps. I highly recommend. It is the same technology as a K&K but it's not quite as hot and doesn't sound as brittle to my ears, it just sounds more natural. I switched from K&K to JJB several years ago and it's still my go to pickup.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification