The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-19-2022, 08:09 PM

Default Convert 6 string to an acoustic bass

I think this is a silly topic but I promised a friend I would ask this question. Is there any way to convert an acoustic 6 string to an acoustic bass. I suppose you would have to put a new bridge on, add a new nut and just use 4 of the tuners. I would think the neck width and string spacing would be way off. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was going to build an acoustic bass from scratch for my friend but I’m not sure he wants to spend the money. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:00 PM

The number one rule for acoustic bass is... Size matters. Everyone, myself included, would love to find a way to defy the laws of physics, but we haven't found a way around them yet.

1. The standard acoustic guitar simply doesn't have enough body volume to support the range.

2. The scale length is too short. The standard guitar geometry won't allow bumping the scale length out to a bare minimum of 30"

3. The bracing (as well as everything else) is just wrong.

4. The original tuners are too small and too lightly built to mount and tension bass guitar strings.

5. The existing fret board would need to be completely replaced because the fret positions would need to be re-calculated and moved.

6. Even if it was theoretically possible to convert a standard acoustic guitar to acoustic bass it would cost more to do this than purchasing a acoustic bass. (Note that "acoustic bass guitars" are generally underwhelming and don't produce enough volume to be used in normal playing situations.) Again, "size matters".

If you want to see the extremes that are necessary to create an acceptable "acoustic bass guitar" just Google Jack Cassidy playing his Diana bass.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-19-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:27 PM

By now we should have all seen a UBass, i.e a "Bass Ukulele" that come in solid body and acoustic versions tuned the same as an upright bass. The acoustic ones come with a body size and scale , 20", of a baritone uke with a wider fretboard. The acoustic versions are not very loud and usually require an amp if playing with other people.

I have seen 2 small (3/4 size?) Guitars converted by using the same fat rubbery strings made of polypropylene or something. You will need to change the nut and bridge and try to find a set of Ubass tuners which have a spool on the string post. I found some on aliexpress once.

Next question is will you go fretless or fretted? Ubasses come both ways.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:32 PM

https://youtu.be/mCLWsGF6z0Q

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic bass, bass, conversion