The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Nylon crossover advice

My first guitar was a classical and that is what I learned on. I miss the warmer sound of one not to mention I don’t use a pick so fingers have always been my preference even on electric.

What I don’t miss is the 3” neck width and 9 frets. Curious about these crossovers all the teenagers are talking about on MySpace and such. Ok maybe I’m late to the party but wondering what you guys recommend maybe around 500ish? Just basically a nylon string for the modern man.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM

I don't know what teens are playing, but maybe one of these would suit you. 1 7/8 neck.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...c/academy-12-n
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I don't know what teens are playing, but maybe one of these would suit you. 1 7/8 neck.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...c/academy-12-n

Well duh I forgot all about this one. And I play a Taylor steel string and love their quality and feel and sound already. Thanks again
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM

I think that the cross over guitars that you heard talked about were like this one:

http://rodriguezguitarsus.com/product/mr-model-c10cut/

I got one for 150 bucks on a MF Stupid Deal. However, I wasn't looking for a cross over guitar. The description on MF was incorrect and described it as a Classical guitar which is what I wanted. I was going to send it back but a buddy of mine asked to see it and bought it from me for what I spent. This guitar has a regular acoustic guitar neck profile which is what he wanted but not what I wanted. It came with a pickup and 14 frets to the neck. He loves it.

Meanwhile I found a good but not stupid deal on this guitar:

http://rodriguezguitarsus.com/product/mr-model-c11c/

It's basically a Classical guitar with a cutaway and a pickup. It has a wide neck 52mm (that's 2 inches not 3 at the nut) and 12 frets to the body. I have fat fingers and have always wanted to try a Classical guitar. I love it. Over Christmas time I had my teacher teach me some Christmas songs finger style on it. I'm currently trying to learn "Freight Train" finger style. I'm enjoying the break from my steel string acoustics though I'm not giving them up anytime soon.

Last edited by JimmerO; 01-17-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2019, 02:09 PM

I own a Córdoba C9 crossover classical with sold cedar and mahogany. Nut width is 1 7/8" with a radiused fretboard. Coming from steel string guitars I immediately found it easy to play. The sound is warm and full. Their C5 line is In your price range. They have one with solid cedar top and laminated mahogany back and sides. MSRP is $500, so store price is probably around $400. Definitely worth checking out, I think.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Godin Multiac costs a bit more, but is a Pro level instrument.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ral-semi-gloss
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Anything in the Córdoba Fusion line is considered a crossover guitar and there are plenty to choose from; 12 fret, 14 fret, cutaway, non-cutaway, and lots of wood combinations.

Nut width on the Fusion series is 48mm, and the fretboards are radiused. From my experience, they are immediately comfortable to the long-time steel string player.

I have the Córdoba Fusion Orchestra Pro. The Pro designation means all solid woods, where the non-Pro models are solid top with laminated back/sides.

Hope that helps in your search,
GC
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Furch has the best one I've ever seen and played and it's so incredibly well built and beautiful. 1 3/4 nut, great neck profile, much more familiar to a steel string player in the overall feel, cutaway for upper fret access, but the great sound and easy play of nylon strings.

https://www.furch.cz/us-en/grand-nyl...orie/gnc-4-sr/

I know of a dealer who has one he'd sell at a tremendous deal. I know cuz I have been tempted and almost pulled the trigger more than once.

*missed your budget note....this is way out of your budget...oops! If you get an unexpected inheritance or something, look into one of these ;-)

Last edited by gr81dorn; 01-17-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM

I dont have the neck width memorized and its put away in storage -
But i love my Lucida 777 which is an off branded Prudencio Saez -
used they go for about 5-6 hundred with a case used -thou not a cross over ,
a very good guitar for the money -i am very happy with mine .
At least something to think about !

theirs a decent one on Reverb -- tad under 500

Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM

I have a Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience - for playing live, it's hard to do better unless you spring for a Kirk Sand at many X the $$.

I also play a Taylor 812ce-N - for my smaller hands, it's perfect.

Used to have a Rick Turner RN-6 nylon. Also a good guitar.

At the higher end, I like Taylor and Furch.

Mid-range, Yamaha and Takamine have nice crossover guitars, Same for Cordoba - but they also have a lot of 2" flat radius necks.

At the lower end, the Breedlove nylon and Yamaha APX are good choices.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM

In your price range either the Cordoba Fusion, I own a C10 crossover and it is excellent. Taylor Academy nylon and the La Patrie Etude or Concert models which is part of the Godin family of guitars. I have played all three and they are very nice without breaking the bank.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM

Here is my "Crossover Guitar" page:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...Crossover.html
Old 01-17-2019, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. These guitars are definitely not all over the place but hope to be able to check one out soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:41 PM

If I could find an Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon, cedar top... Used... Decent condition. I'd buy it immediately.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
If I could find an Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon, cedar top... Used... Decent condition. I'd buy it immediately.

There is one for sale around here but seems to small. I am leaning towards Cordoba or the Taylor. Found a local Córdoba so will hopefully try it out tomorrow and see if it’s for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion