The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Used Neve Portico 5012s are somewhat reasonably priced, there's one in like new condition for $1000 on ebay (no affiliation with seller). They are really nice sounding pres, and with the silk button can do the saturation thing too I also like the high pass filters on them which I use for acoustic guitars alot! They sound good with KM184s. XLR outs though, no 1/4"

Here's the one on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rupert-Neve...xRX-:rk:1:pf:0

manual...

http://rupertneve.com/static/media/2.../5012guide.pdf
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
So you've got some amazing KM184s or some vintage Schoeps or some other ridiculously expensive stereo pair of mics - small or large diaphragm. What dual mic pre do you run them through? Anybody have a favorite dual preamp?

Price Range 1 - less than $500
Price Range 2 - more than $500

My audio interface can accomplish the same thing, but likely with less warmth and/or clean tone. Looking for a cool piece of outboard gear, wondering what AGF thinks.

Might I add that 1/4" output is preferred.
If it were me I would consider getting something different to add to as an option the UR 44 pres . Since they are Solid State and should be relatively clean and uncolored . I would seriously consider getting a 2 channel tube mic pre to expand your options The are available starting as inexpensive as $100 for a Behringer but If I had anything close to the mics you mentioned I would probably spend at least $500 to $1000 pe channel which will get you into some pretty nice tube pres'

Or the other option depending on your intended use, might be a tube compressor instead for tracking and or , on your mix bus

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'm not sure that counts as a preamp. Yes, it boosts the mic signal but I'm pretty sure you have to run it into a preamp that provides phantom power for it to work.
i thought he had an audio interface with preamps already. guess i'm confused.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i thought he had an audio interface with preamps already. guess i'm confused.
He said he was looking for a two channel mic pre that would give him a a cleaner tone or a warmer tone. Cloudlifters are transparent so they're not going to give him anything he doesn't already have except to make his mic send a louder signal into his preamp. That's what they're designed to do.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-17-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
So you've got some amazing KM184s or some vintage Schoeps or some other ridiculously expensive stereo pair of mics - small or large diaphragm. What dual mic pre do you run them through? Anybody have a favorite dual preamp?

Price Range 1 - less than $500
Price Range 2 - more than $500

Might I add that 1/4" output is preferred.
Under $500 - FMR Audio RNP
More than $500 - Great River mp-2nv
Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 AM

I picked up one of the new Warm Audio WA273's. Really pleased with it.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
On Reverb, there's a Sebatron Axis for $1400 and a Demeter VTMP 2b for $1100 (Demeter review here). Both are excellent mic pres.
Thank you Jim1960 for posting this video Sebatron Axis and article review on the Demeter. I actually had a Demeter Preamp for my electric and Bass guitar rig back in the late eighties and nineties. I choose Demeter for his Cleaner-purer tone. At that time he had designed his preamp after the Hywatt pre section. Hywatts were noted to have to turn up very load in order to distort. Thus when doing so they gave a smoother distorting. Hywatts were used by the Moody blues, Pink Floyd and of course, The Who.
Obviously I do not want distortion for my acoustic preamps...I want cleanliness with the lovely subtle harmonics and compression a valve amp can give.
So when I read the review on the Demeter and he compared it to the Pendulum preamp..and rated it close...I was very impressed. I have been told by many for a valve amp that Pendulum is possibly the best.
How would you rate the differences between Sebatron Axis and the Demeter? I am very happy that you have introduced me to both of these preamps because the Pendulum is out of my price range right now. And Pendulum is no longer making amps either. While Sebatron and Demeter are still going.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Well I´m one of those people who thinks that a preamp is just another tool. Yes every preamp has its own sound, but thats just a small percentage of the hole recording thing. Todays preamps in the your mixer or audiointerface are pretty good. You can make professional recordings with this stuff.
I dont think a preamp will make the most significant amount of improvement in your recordings.

For me its:
1. good source (instrument, voice ....)
2. the player or singer itself (performance)
3. good mic and placement (the one for the right job) sometimes a voice needs a SM58
4. a good room
5. mixing (whatever is needed to get your sound)
6. some sort of preamp

Here is a small sample :-)

left channel is an audiotechnica mb4000c small condenser into a yamaha md4 mixer.
right channel is the direct sound K&K pure mini and Fishman rare earth blend mixed together going through a Bose T1.

Both inputs go into a motu 1224 Audiointerface.
Recorded in a Bedroom (no treatment).
Just added a little bit of reverb.

So nothing fancy.

www.polyphon-recording.de\hurt1.zip

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-08-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: masked profanity
Old 02-08-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Z View Post
Well I´m one of those people who thinks that a preamp is just another tool. Yes every preamp has its own sound, but thats just a small percentage of the hole recording thing. Todays preamps in the your mixer or audiointerface are pretty good. You can make professional recordings with this stuff.
I dont think a preamp will make the most significant amount of improvement in your recordings.

For me its:
1. good source (instrument, voice ....)
2. the player or singer itself (performance)
3. good mic and placement (the one for the right job) sometimes a voice needs a SM58
4. a good room
5. mixing (whatever is needed to get your sound)
6. some sort of preamp

Here is a small sample :-)

left channel is an audiotechnica mb4000c small condenser into a yamaha md4 mixer.
right channel is the direct sound K&K pure mini and Fishman rare earth blend mixed together going through a Bose T1.

Both inputs go into a motu 1224 Audiointerface.
Recorded in a Bedroom (no treatment).
Just added a little bit of reverb.

So nothing fancy.

www.polyphon-recording.de\hurt1.zip
I think everything you say here is accurate so I'd bet your short clip has nothing to do with the quality of your preamps but it sounds quite muddy to me. I'm listening through AT M50 and Grado headphones.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-08-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: edit quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I recommend http://www.npngproducts.com/Home_Page.html
I have the two channel preamp.

Also I have a Great River MP-2MH which is another excellent preamp. This model discontinued but any of Great River's newer preamps a good bet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I think everything you say here is accurate so I'd bet your short clip has nothing to do with the quality of your preamps but it sounds quite muddy to me. I'm listening through AT M50 and Grado headphones.
Yes yes muddy indeed :-)

Here you go...

www.polyphon-recording.de/hurt2.zip

Same setup no postprocessing.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk_Z View Post
Yes yes muddy indeed :-)

Here you go...

www.polyphon-recording.de/hurt2.zip

Same setup no postprocessing.
Sounds fine to me.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM

I have posted this in a couple of other forums but thought this thread may be able to help me as well in regards to the "next steps" down the rabbit hole:

First, my room is treated. I learned to do that first from reading posts here. I have 4" thick Bass Traps in the corners and where the ceiling and wall meet. I have 2" thick absorption panels on the walls and reflection points.

I am using an Apollo Twin USB as my interface coupled with a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre for additional inputs. I use some UAD plugins. I use Studio One 3 Pro as my DAW.

I have the following microphones: Shure SM7B, Shure KSM313 ribbon, Shure SM 57, sE ELectronics Voodoo 1 ribbon, Se Electronics sE5 matched pair small condensers, Warm Audio WA87, Warm Audio WA251, and Rode NT1-A.

I am not currently trying to record other bands. I am only working on my own stuff and with the guys I play some classic rock and country covers with. My music is best described as jam band/blues and/or southern country rock. Think Allman Brothers, Eagles, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers/Let it Bleed"era.

I am getting better at mixing and tracking with each new recording and am thinking that a couple of channels of outboard preamps would be next logical step in the gear acquisition rabbit hole. I don't feel like I necessarily need out board eq or compression yet. I would rather spend the money on good preamps. I am willing to spend up to $2400 at this time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is an example of what I am doing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tc...aTI4u7qqnSM1ri
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.

Last edited by gwlee7; 02-11-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
How would you rate the differences between Sebatron Axis and the Demeter?
It's hard to talk about differences in terms of sound. Both of these units impart some color, the Sebatron gives you the ability to dial in just how much you want. I'd say the Demeter imparts slightly more warmth and that pre is my go-to vocal pre for myself.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Demeter because I don't do instrumentals so vocals are an important consideration. To my ears, the Demeter edges out the Sebatron slightly in that department. If I was doing strictly instrumentals, I'd probably give the Sebatron the slight edge.

But if I'm being totally honest, the differences are slight and I could be absolutely happy with either on its own. So if you're interested in my recommendation, buy whichever one you can get the best deal on. They're both absolute stunners and I've no doubt you'll be incredibly pleased by either.

True story - My friend Vinny is a singer ...mostly opera but he dives into jazz standards and show tunes as well. I bought an Audio-Scape Opto compressor about a year ago and Vinny, as well as another friend who has a studio, came over so we could test the compressor out. At some point I had Vinny singing through my Demeter instead of the generic preamps on my UA Apollo. His eyes lit up. He has a small home studio and a couple of decent mic pres but the Demeter really is special on some vocals. Within a couple of weeks he bought a used VTMP-2b on Reverb and hasn't stopped raving about it.

But like I said, I could be very happy if either was my only pre. They're both really excellent and both can be had for a nice price on the used market.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
I have posted this in a couple of other forums but thought this thread may be able to help me as well in regards to the "next steps" down the rabbit hole:

First, my room is treated. I learned to do that first from reading posts here. I have 4" thick Bass Traps in the corners and where the ceiling and wall meet. I have 2" thick absorption panels on the walls and reflection points.

I am using an Apollo Twin USB as my interface coupled with a Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre for additional inputs. I use some UAD plugins. I use Studio One 3 Pro as my DAW.

I have the following microphones: Shure SM7B, Shure KSM313 ribbon, Shure SM 57, sE ELectronics Voodoo 1 ribbon, Se Electronics sE5 matched pair small condensers, Warm Audio WA87, Warm Audio WA251, and Rode NT1-A.

I am not currently trying to record other bands. I am only working on my own stuff and with the guys I play some classic rock and country covers with. My music is best described as jam band/blues and/or southern country rock. Think Allman Brothers, Eagles, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers/Let it Bleed"era.

I am getting better at mixing and tracking with each new recording and am thinking that a couple of channels of outboard preamps would be next logical step in the gear acquisition rabbit hole. I don't feel like I necessarily need out board eq or compression yet. I would rather spend the money on good preamps. I am willing to spend up to $2400 at this time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is an example of what I am doing:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tc...aTI4u7qqnSM1ri
I mentioned it previously, and I will mention it again. Check out the Warm Audio WA273 or WA273-EQ. It's only been out a year, so not a lot of exposure to it, but there are now quite a few reviews on it. I have the WA273-EQ and it absolutely took me to that next step. Got me the tone I was looking for, and hadn't been able to get. And the price point isn't bad at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD