The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 AM

Default Soundseat

Woo woo! Got my shipping ticket for my new soundseat, will ship Monday!
Can’t wait for it! Hope I like it 1/2 as much as the the guys that already have one, will let you know.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Oh, you'll like it. And then you'll forget it. And that is the magic of the SoundSeat: it supports so well that your back and legs stop being a factor at all in playing fatigue.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:38 AM

I've had mine for a few years.... looks the same as the day I got it. I've never regretted the purchase.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
I've had mine for a few years.... looks the same as the day I got it. I've never regretted the purchase.

Same here. Very happy with it. Congratulations and enjoy.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 AM

I liked mine so much that I ended up buying two more. One is my primary office chair now. The music room has three SoundSeat MP's and one Pik-n-Glider, plus a sofa.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, you'll like it. And then you'll forget it. And that is the magic of the SoundSeat: it supports so well that your back and legs stop being a factor at all in playing fatigue.

Bob
EXACTLY! Once I got my SoundSeat all those distracting issues of seat comfort disappeared. Now it’s just all about relaxing and playing. Love mine.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM

I bought mine in 02 and it's as good as the day I bought it.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote1 View Post
Woo woo! Got my shipping ticket for my new soundseat, will ship Monday!
Can’t wait for it! Hope I like it 1/2 as much as the the guys that already have one, will let you know.
Congrats! I'm sitting in my custom soundseat as I write this. I got mine way back when, around 2004.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 AM

She called me yesterday mine is ready for pickup headed to Salisbury on Wednesday!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 AM

Thanks guys , I know I will like mine been trying to get enough money for awhile,and also justify getting one but looked at all the other ones and wife said just get one like that , and I said well okay if you say so, wow �� wasn’t that nice of her.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

A couple of questions for all of you Soundseat owners/users:

The first and biggest. I play the majority of time on a typical guitar stool. The seat is about 24" off the ground and there's a foot rail a little higher than halfway to the floor. I play with my right foot on the rail, left on the floor, and the guitar (acoustic or electric) on my right leg. I tend to start off playing quite straight up and there have been times I've had the stool right next to a wall and I might start playing leaning back just slightly against the wall, but regardless, I always seem to lean forward as I get into playing, usually as I get more involved and my left foot gets in on the rhythm keeping. I just seem to always want to lean forward, not for comfort reasons, but because I it just seems more in keeping with a bit of drive and movement. I seem to remember a quote by Bob Dylan however many years ago when he was talking about 'a kind of blues where you just have to lean forward and tap your foot to play it right' and I relate to that, even when playing something other than blues and despite rarely playing any of it right! I don't often have back soreness, but I do sometimes. There's definitely some fatigue involved, which occasionally translates into soreness. In other words, it's not broke, but it might be broke a little bit, and if the soundseat is as comfortable as everyone says, I'm definitely interested.

So for those of you with a soundseat, do you find yourself leaning forward or do you tend to stay supported by the backrest? If you stay leaning against the backrest, does your feel or approach to the music change at all? Other than the backrest, it seems to me I'd be playing in pretty much the same position I've been playing in, so I wouldn't see much benefit to the soundseat if I'd find myself leaning forward while playing anyway. So what's your experience in that regard?

And second, if you just get a standard soundseat, how difficult is it to break down for travel. I don't mean a lot of tearing down and setting up, but we relocate for a few months in the winter and I'd probably want to take it along for that, so I'm just talking about breaking it down and re-assembling it twice a year... And in it's broken down state how much room might it take up in a car?

Thanks for any input,

-Ray
Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When I'm playing I divide my time between playing straight up and leaning slightly forward over the guitar. Being 5'9" with shorter legs, I got JR to build mine with the shorter gas piston. I can crank it down and sit with both feet on the ground if I desire. I can also put either foot up, if that is more comfortable. I virtually never lean back except to stretch.

You know, SoundSeat makes a breakdown version of the chair to be portable. You can get a bag that carries it all. Otherwise, you can order removable arms and will end up with the seat, the back, and feet and piston. You really only need a hammer to pop the piston out if you need to. But since you know you are going to move, get the portable breakdown version and the bag. That's what it is for.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
A couple of questions for all of you Soundseat owners/users:

The first and biggest. I play the majority of time on a typical guitar stool. The seat is about 24" off the ground and there's a foot rail a little higher than halfway to the floor. I play with my right foot on the rail, left on the floor, and the guitar (acoustic or electric) on my right leg. I tend to start off playing quite straight up and there have been times I've had the stool right next to a wall and I might start playing leaning back just slightly against the wall, but regardless, I always seem to lean forward as I get into playing, usually as I get more involved and my left foot gets in on the rhythm keeping. I just seem to always want to lean forward, not for comfort reasons, but because I it just seems more in keeping with a bit of drive and movement. I seem to remember a quote by Bob Dylan however many years ago when he was talking about 'a kind of blues where you just have to lean forward and tap your foot to play it right' and I relate to that, even when playing something other than blues and despite rarely playing any of it right! I don't often have back soreness, but I do sometimes. There's definitely some fatigue involved, which occasionally translates into soreness. In other words, it's not broke, but it might be broke a little bit, and if the soundseat is as comfortable as everyone says, I'm definitely interested.

So for those of you with a soundseat, do you find yourself leaning forward or do you tend to stay supported by the backrest? If you stay leaning against the backrest, does your feel or approach to the music change at all? Other than the backrest, it seems to me I'd be playing in pretty much the same position I've been playing in, so I wouldn't see much benefit to the soundseat if I'd find myself leaning forward while playing anyway. So what's your experience in that regard?

And second, if you just get a standard soundseat, how difficult is it to break down for travel. I don't mean a lot of tearing down and setting up, but we relocate for a few months in the winter and I'd probably want to take it along for that, so I'm just talking about breaking it down and re-assembling it twice a year... And in it's broken down state how much room might it take up in a car?

Thanks for any input,

-Ray
Hi Ray,

I have a Soundseat that has the mid-back rest rather than the lower one. I find that I shift a bit as I play so I may lean forward a bit but have the back support adjusted to where it is pretty much in contact with my lower back even if I lean forward. I am not like many classical players that seem to be in a pretty fixed posture when they play. I find that having one leg up puts more stress on my back than leaning does so I play with a strap and keep my feet on the floor. My chair back has some give in it so it is perfect to keep moving with the music and still have support.

I have not broken down my chair since I got it so I will let someone else speak to how easy it is to travel with or not. But I find that the chair is one of the most comfortable that I have tried. Very well padded so it wears really well.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM

When playing I sit mostly upright in mine, but will lean on the seat back sometimes. Right now at my computer I am fully upright and don't touch the seat back at all. Although I got them with the foot ring, my SoundSeats are normally set so both feet can be flat on the floor. It only takes a second to adjust the height. I cannot recall actually using the foot rings..... nor have any of my visitors.

Ray, the breakdown model is one option. I've put together three of them, but never tried to take them back apart. Rather than disassembling and rebuilding multiple times, I would go for simply having a regular SoundSeat in each location, saving room in the car to bring guitars and then the less important stuff. My SoundSeats are all the MP model with tall pistons and mid backs because I am 6-6". It is amusing what "MP" stands for.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Interesting. So it sounds like nobody's really using it quite like I feel like I'd be likely to. I suppose I might play with both feet on the floor sometimes, and just lower the seat that much, but I think I'd mostly be using the foot ring as that just always seems to be my most comfortable position. I'm probably just gonna have to try one based on almost everyone who's tried one seemingly loving them and figure I and it will find ways to adapt to each other...

We rent our place in the winter so I can't be leaving stuff here - at least not stuff I ever hope to see again given that it's typically a weekly beach rental in the summer. Our daughter lives near here and could keep one for me, but I think I'd for sure start off with one, see how much I like it, and probably go for the break-down model and figure I'd take it back and forth for a few years anyway. And then maybe add a second down the road...

Do most folks get the small back rest or the larger "mid-back" option?

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion