The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
Pedal board????
Hey Billy, not sure if you're kidding or not but just in case, it's a board where you mount your guitar pedals. Makes it convenient to transport. Lots of options for boards including making your own from plywood (which I have, painted black).

I know that one of our AGF members has a Holeyboard brand:
Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Default pedal/amp connection

You really have most of the bases already covered. A couple of posters have suggested overdrive, but that effect wouldn't really bloom in a straight-to-the-board configuration. The magic of overdrive happens when you're pushing (overdriving) the preamp of a tube amp. That edge of breakup zone really opens up new areas of expression. I would +1 a good quality 4 knob compressor. With the attack and sustain dialed back, you can tune it deliver some added sparkle and life to your tone, at least it works great on my Wampler Ego.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 PM

One of our local guys runs "Analog Outfitters" and they make a bunch of very interesting "effects" and tube amps. You might want to pick up one of their scanner reverb / vibrato units.

https://youtu.be/ol9rbPiUXb0

When I toured their assembly shop they had a white board up with customers in the queue waiting on builds. Jack White and Adrian Belew were two I recognized.

I love the re-purposed Hammond organ parts!
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Every electric guitar player must have a wah, you're incomplete until you get one. I use a Fulltone Clyde Standard and it's excellent, and surprisingly much better than my old Crybaby was. I use it rarely these days, but when you want one, nothing substitutes.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Tremolo is awesome. One of my fave effects. The Boss TR-2 works great for me.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 01-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Apparently I also forgot to mention I have an overdrive pedal already too.

I like the idea of getting a 'better' version of a pedal I already have. The only one I really care to upgrade is my Boss Chorus pedal. I've messed and messed with it and just cannot get a tone I like from it. And I love chorus.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Apparently I also forgot to mention I have an overdrive pedal already too.

I like the idea of getting a 'better' version of a pedal I already have. The only one I really care to upgrade is my Boss Chorus pedal. I've messed and messed with it and just cannot get a tone I like from it. And I love chorus.
I have an MXR chorus pedal and I didn't like the way it interacted with my delay in the amp's effects loop. The chorus was either way too loud and overbearing or it had little impact. Must have to do with the impedance. I have it in front of the amp now. Not too bad but since I almost never use chorus it works.

Do you have a similar issue with the Boss?
Old 01-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I have an MXR chorus pedal and I didn't like the way it interacted with my delay in the amp's effects loop. The chorus was either way too loud and overbearing or it had little impact. Must have to do with the impedance. I have it in front of the amp now. Not too bad but since I almost never use chorus it works.

That's exactly the issue I have. I have a Mooer Baby Water echo/chorus pedal on my acoustic board that is pretty good, but. I have a handful of MXR pedal, so I better stay away from their chorus too.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Strymon Flint: reverb & tremolo all in one pedal - and several different types of each.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Oh and if you've got tube amps you really should give a treble booster a try sometime. I love my Naga Viper It has a bit more control than some traditional treble boosters.

If you didn't already know, the idea of a treble booster is to blast a hot signal into the preamp but filter out some of the low end which is just going to create a lot of mud. They can create some really snarly, biting overdriven tones.

Last edited by moon; 01-06-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:40 PM

You plug all those pedals directly into a PA?

If I have got that right then I would recommend you get some sort of amp modeler or a real amp. In fact I'd say real amp but since this is about pedals you might want to look into something like the Tech21 Fly rigs.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

my must haves

phaser
envelope filter
wah wah

now I also have an EH B9 which is a super cool pedal if you need/want those organ tones
Old 01-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Billy, not sure if you're kidding or not but just in case, it's a board where you mount your guitar pedals. Makes it convenient to transport. Lots of options for boards including making your own from plywood (which I have, painted black).
I know that one of our AGF members has a Holeyboard brand:
I have a Holeyboard . For X-mas my son gave me a $200 gift certificate at the local music store. So I may go shopping for a WAH. Since I have plenty of room

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Default a chorus you can live with

Quote:

When I was looking into chorus pedals, I found the TC Corona reviewed as "the chorus pedal for people who hate chorus". It can definitely do the classic sound but can be very subtle as well. I found a tone print for it called "clean chorus" which I really like, puts a nice gentle shimmer in the sound. The Corona also puts just a little oomph behind the single notes and mixes with overdrive wonderfully. You do have to keep the tone knob opened up. The only odd thing about it is the color: John Deere green. Oh well, mine is on a lot of the time in clean chorus mode.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 AM

I ended up deciding to get a new chorus pedal -- that also had a rotating speaker simulator and flanger. It's the Keely Dyno My Roto. Stay tuned for my thoughts in a future thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars