The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2018, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Looking for Isaac Guillory tabs

Hi everyone,

I've heard a lot about Isaac Guillory on this forum (as the guitar "unsung hero"), and recently spent time discovering his work. Truly, I was blown away and I'd like to learn some of his songs.

I spent some time looking on the Internet for some serious tablature work that I could buy, unsuccessfully. I am particularly interested in A Whiter Shade of Pale for now.

Could anyone point me to the right direction please?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-30-2018, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tom,
Isaac was a great guy, a remarkable talent, and a very good teacher, but, whilst I might be wrong in this, I don't think he was ever the type of musician /teacher who thought in terms of learning note for note as tablature implies.

I played on the same bill as Isaac a couple of times and saw him whenever he came to my area.

Once as a Folk festival he gave a workshop early on a Sunday morning when, I confess, I was not at my best, (you can imagine)

These two videos, courtesy of Bristol Ron, show his teaching style.

and

I'd suggest that his concept was a) understanding how music"worked" and then learning the chords of the piece you want to perform, and then simply working out your own arrangement.

There usee to be a website where he gave this info more slowly and in an organised way but seemingly it no longer exists.

There is an insight into his style on this website:

http://www.anetstation.com/guillory/ - and go to "school"

Of course the other thing to do is to get hold of as many of his albums as you can and "absorb" and adapt his approach.

This may still be a source of his albums : http://intuitive.productions/web-store/

All the best, Ol' Andy
Old 12-30-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks so much for that informative answer.

Cheers,
T
Old 01-06-2019, 03:57 PM

Eric Roche transcribed Surrendel by Isaac Guillory in his Guitar Techniques article (can be found on Isaac Guillory Appreciation Society Facebook page).
I’ve transcribed Quasimodo by Isaac.
There’s not much out there, but check out the Isaac Guillory Appreciation Society page on Facebook as things sometimes get posted.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 AM

Andy- nice to hear your kind words about Isaac. I became aware of him back here in the States in the 60's and heard him live once. I never met him but corresponded with him via the interweb near the end of the last century (and regrettably the end of his life) and always found him charming and easily accessible. Huge loss to the guitar world.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM

I’ve just transcribed Isaac Guillorys arrangement of A Whiter Shade Of Pale.
A pdf will be on the Isaac Guillory Appreciation Society Facebook page soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write