The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-24-2018, 10:11 PM

Default Best pickup for 59' J45 CS with adjustable bridge?

I have a 59' J45 custom shop with adjustable bridge that I'm looking to amplify (it has the sound of *all* the angels!) I think the options I have are K&K Pure Mini, Baggs M1A, and possibly the Baggs Lyric. I mainly play and sing acoustically by myself, but do go to a few different open mics every couple months. I strum, pick, and do some finger style, just not any of the percusive tapping stuff.

I had a K&K Pure Mini in a 000-15 and it took a lot to make it sound right - a red eye preamp and a 6 band eq through an AER 60/3 (since sold, I might get an L1C or S1 Pro...) The K&K needed a bunch of shaping in the lows and mids. My J45 has twice as much bass as the 000-15 which makes me think that the pure mini might be even more problematic. I don't know if the K&K pure amp might have been a better fit than the red eye and eq I had before (I suspect not.)

I very much like the way the M1A sounds from what I can find on Youtube - moreso than the M80. I don't know if I will like how it probably alters the acoustic tone and adds weight to the guitar, less I remove it when not needed. I'm guessing it'd be hard to put in and take out without removing the strings? I do like that I could maybe get away with not having to ream the end pin for a jack, but that is not a huge concern.

The Lyric is my least favorite sound - but I'm wondering if it would sound decent like the M1A out of the box. In general at the open mics they really prefer to just hand you a cable. Maybe it would be compromise between the other options (doesn't affect acoustic tone, doesn't require outboard eq for decent sound, don't have to removed.)

Maybe there is some other contender? (those old school Bill Lawrence sound hole pickups have caught my eye.) The guitar sounds wonderful mic'd through my KSM137 and through a SM57, but the guys running the open mics aren't going to spend any time tweaking it for me and there is always the decent chance of that dreaded feedback growl or squeal.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
I have a 59' J45 custom shop with adjustable bridge that I'm looking to amplify (it has the sound of *all* the angels!) I think the options I have are K&K Pure Mini, Baggs M1A, and possibly the Baggs Lyric. I mainly play and sing acoustically by myself, but do go to a few different open mics every couple months. I strum, pick, and do some finger style, just not any of the percusive tapping stuff.

I had a K&K Pure Mini in a 000-15 and it took a lot to make it sound right - a red eye preamp and a 6 band eq through an AER 60/3 (since sold, I might get an L1C or S1 Pro...) The K&K needed a bunch of shaping in the lows and mids. My J45 has twice as much bass as the 000-15 which makes me think that the pure mini might be even more problematic. I don't know if the K&K pure amp might have been a better fit than the red eye and eq I had before (I suspect not.)

I very much like the way the M1A sounds from what I can find on Youtube - moreso than the M80. I don't know if I will like how it probably alters the acoustic tone and adds weight to the guitar, less I remove it when not needed. I'm guessing it'd be hard to put in and take out without removing the strings? I do like that I could maybe get away with not having to ream the end pin for a jack, but that is not a huge concern.

The Lyric is my least favorite sound - but I'm wondering if it would sound decent like the M1A out of the box. In general at the open mics they really prefer to just hand you a cable. Maybe it would be compromise between the other options (doesn't affect acoustic tone, doesn't require outboard eq for decent sound, don't have to removed.)

Maybe there is some other contender? (those old school Bill Lawrence sound hole pickups have caught my eye.) The guitar sounds wonderful mic'd through my KSM137 and through a SM57, but the guys running the open mics aren't going to spend any time tweaking it for me and there is always the decent chance of that dreaded feedback growl or squeal.

I would suggest a K&K or any non obtrusive pickup, a Tonedexter, and your Red Eye.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:14 PM

I'm split now between doing a permanent K&K or doing the Rare Earth Humbucker on a temporary basis (instead of the M1A - looks a lot easier to take in and out.) I listened to more Lyric reviews and the string noise that it picks up is a deal breaker.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:55 PM

The M1A or M80 would be ideal for plug and play at your open mics as both have onboard pre amps so no fiddly outboard kit to worry about.

I've only played at a couple of open mics and I was using an M1A at the time. It sounded perfectly acceptable in the monitors and I got compliments on how good it sounded out front from other players.

I now use a DiMarzio Black Angel which is a much better sounding pickup imho. However, it's a passive pickup so would probably require you use a preamp/DI for it to sound its best. Not sure if the Fishman RE is active or not??? but worth checking if that's the way you decide to go.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63telemaster View Post
The M1A or M80 would be ideal for plug and play at your open mics as both have onboard pre amps so no fiddly outboard kit to worry about.

I've only played at a couple of open mics and I was using an M1A at the time. It sounded perfectly acceptable in the monitors and I got compliments on how good it sounded out front from other players.

I now use a DiMarzio Black Angel which is a much better sounding pickup imho. However, it's a passive pickup so would probably require you use a preamp/DI for it to sound its best. Not sure if the Fishman RE is active or not??? but worth checking if that's the way you decide to go.
It looks like the RE is active - has two little batteries (or a single lithium one) and has a volume wheel and some kind of eq switch. I have also had the DiMarzio on my radar but the Fishman looks like a tighter package and has a fixed cord if I use it just temporarily (instead of the fragile 1/8" jack.)

Came across this recent demo, sounds pretty good I think (especially in the dreadnought)

https://youtu.be/Bh2_9kkxmOk

I found another video of being able to install the RE without having to loosen strings and what not.

I'm wondering if the adjustable bridge screws/bolts would interfere with installing a K&K, or make it sound weird given their close proximity to the E strings.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:29 PM

I'm just gonna pull the trigger on the RE and see how it goes. To heck with analysis paralysis!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:25 AM

I am happy with the Rare Earth which I reviewed a few days ago:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...95&postcount=5
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-26-2018, 11:51 AM

+1 on K&K and a Tonedexter. Accept no substitutes...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-26-2018, 02:26 PM

I did a 180 on the rare earth and ordered a Bartlett Mic B instead - least intrusive as possible and gives me simple quarter inch jack and can leave it in my guitar case and just clip it on. Should really be enough for open mic I think and probably will work well with an S1 Pro that I'm going to pick up.

This particular 45 just sounds too perfect to mess with - it is the 'one'. I play it constantly and want to use it as much as I can, but decided I wouldn't change anything on it for the world.

On a side note - the more I listened to samples K&K (even with tonedexter) - the less I like it unless it is dual sourced. I think the Baggs and Fishman mags are the way to go.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I did a 180 on the rare earth and ordered a Bartlett Mic B instead - least intrusive as possible and gives me simple quarter inch jack and can leave it in my guitar case and just clip it on. Should really be enough for open mic I think and probably will work well with an S1 Pro that I'm going to pick up.

This particular 45 just sounds too perfect to mess with - it is the 'one'. I play it constantly and want to use it as much as I can, but decided I wouldn't change anything on it for the world.

On a side note - the more I listened to samples K&K (even with tonedexter) - the less I like it unless it is dual sourced. I think the Baggs and Fishman mags are the way to go.

I like the mag mic combos. The softer it is the more mic I use. At open mics, usually I can use some mic, but occasionally I have to turn it off. When I do my own sound I use plenty of mic. I would be scared to have to use a guitar live with just a mounted mic though.

Let us know how the Bartlett Mic B works out. I would guess that it would be wonderful for recording but feedback prone live at all but the softest levels. Here’s to hoping I am wrong!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:25 PM

It should be here this weekend hopefully along with an S1 pro - if it doesn't work out I'm going for the rare earth or rare earth blend. Will try to post a youtube review
Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 PM

I really like the Rare Earth Blend a lot. As compared to my Schertler AG-6/S-Mic, the Blend has a directional mic while the Schertler has an omni. That is why the Blend mic is on a little aimable arm while the S-mic is fixed. You only need to aim a directional mic.

Because of this the blend mic is a little more resistant to feedback. The omni on the Schertler sounds very natural but you can only dial a little in before it feeds back. The REB lets you separate the mic from the pickup with a TRS cable. The AG-6 is designed for both live sound and recording. For live use Schertler recommends the mic be dialed in 10% or less. For recording without a monitor they recommend you turn the mic all the way up. At that point, you don’t hear the pickup but it is there reenforcing the low frequencies without sounding boxy.

I do prefer the Schertler but it was a tough call and I can easily see why someone else might prefer the REB.

If money isn’t an object you might want to check out the Vanden Mimesis Kudos blend. The REB design is licensed to Fishman by Mike Vanden and the Mimesis is designed to also work with an external FPA mic clamped onto the body:

https://vanden.co.uk/pickups/kudos/
Old 12-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really like the Rare Earth Blend a lot. As compared to my Schertler AG-6/S-Mic, the Blend has a directional mic while the Schertler has an omni. That is why the Blend mic is on a little aimable arm while the S-mic is fixed. You only need to aim a directional mic.

https://vanden.co.uk/pickups/kudos/
Does the mic on the REB stay put? The goose neck on my Fishman Blender was good the first year or two, then would just kinda flop around. I wasn't a big fan of that!

The Mimesis looks cool but I like when the Mic is attached to the pickup as with the REB/Schertler/Duncan
Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:

The Mimesis looks cool but I like when the Mic is attached to the pickup as with the REB/Schertler/Duncan

It also has a built-in mic. They are just showing off that an external mic is an option.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:13 AM

Also consider the RE single coil if you end up going back to the soundhole idea. I have one in my gig bag for backup use and really like it. I’ll probably do a permanent install with it in a guitar a some stage. Slides in and out easily without loosening strings just like the other RE’s they are very unobtrusive.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification