The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2018, 10:46 PM

Default going back to Squier

Tomorrow I’ll be returning and exchanging my new Fender Player Telecaster for the Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster due to the more clear bite at low home volume of the Squier aided by the tight grain quartersawn neck. The bent steel saddles of the Player are excellent but the tuning machine for the low e string doesn’t hold and the instrument requires higher volume to really shine.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Tomorrow I’ll be returning and exchanging my new Fender Player Telecaster for the Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster due to the more clear bite at low home volume of the Squier aided by the tight grain quartersawn neck. The bent steel saddles of the Player are excellent but the tuning machine for the low e string doesn’t hold and the instrument requires higher volume to really shine.

Could be a setup issue with the Fender? The tuning peg is a bummer, it’s usually a good idea to upgrade those, but they should hold tune even if it’s the cheapest Bullet.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Could be a setup issue with the Fender? The tuning peg is a bummer, it’s usually a good idea to upgrade those, but they should hold tune even if it’s the cheapest Bullet.
Yes they should from the factory not slip. I did have a full set up done by my tech who told me the intonation at the saddles was off. The soft feel neck got to me though. Too soft for a tele, the hard gloss of the Squier helps thicken up the notes.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-01-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:13 PM

I wonder if the issue is just with that single guitar and that you got one of the 'bad' ones. Regardless, the Classic Vibe is a great guitar.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I wonder if the issue is just with that single guitar and that you got one of the 'bad' ones. Regardless, the Classic Vibe is a great guitar.
I’m not sure. The Player was a arctic white with mint three ply pickguard and the finish quality on it was perfect and really nice looking. I ran it through my Pro Junior IV LTD that almost demands to be turned up because it really sings. Any pro musician would have had a gas playing blues with this combo but I don’t have the sonic room where I live and have to keep it really quiet, thus my earlier questions about the feasibility of low volume electric guitar practice at home. As stated by others many times previous here, personal preference and style has a lot to do with what works for each guitarist. The CV feels like home to me.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-01-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I’m not sure. The Player was a arctic white with mint three ply pickguard and the finish quality on it was perfect and really nice looking. I run it through my Pro Junior IV LTD, the latter which really wants to be turned up because it really sings. Any pro musician would have had a gas playing blues with this combo but I don’t have the sonic room where I live and have to keep it really quiet, thus my earlier questions about the feasibility of quiet electric guitar practice at home. As stated by others many times previous here, personal preference and style has a lot to do with what works for each guitarist. The CV feels like home to me.
Sounds like you made the right choice. The CV also has a different neck carve too, doesn't it.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sounds like you made the right choice. The CV also has a different neck carve too, doesn't it.
Mine was manufactured in 2016, vintage blonde and as per my previous one, the neck carve is slightly less thick from fretboard to back of neck at widest point than the Player standard; it’s also far from the slim carve of the 60s classic vibe custom. I now am running the CV 50s through a BJ III* NOS with much more forgiving volume taper and am getting excellent low volume clean.

*manufactured in 2017 and particularly well biased from the factory, it’s rich and smooth. My previous BJ III manufactured in 2012 was hard and brittle when new.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-01-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM

I really appreciate the elegant vintage style tuners on the classic vibe tele but I loath the black plastic pickguard, so with 800 grit cloth in circular fashion I removed the gloss from the pickguard (separate from the guitar) then carefully applied high quality flat white paint spray. Once dry the 50s maple board vintage blonde model with white pickguard comes close in appearance to a ‘58 reissue for a massive dose of Fender Telecaster eye candy all available at a everyperson price.

Last edited by Jaden; 11-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 AM

I've owned many Telecasters both Fender and Squier (Nashville's, Baja's, Thinlines, CV's, Standards, MIM,MIA,MIK,MIC etc.) and had the opportunity to extensively play CS models such as Nocasters, and the CV tele's are some of the best out there IMO. I have one of the first BSB pine CV's which is so nice I don't think I'll ever sell. What I did with mine was to lightly sand the body and shoot with satin nitro lacquer. The only mod I may do in the future is to re-wire with a 4-way reverse harness. Tele's are meant to be a cheap workingman guitar, the difference between a $300 and a $3000 Tele is negligible in reality.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I have four Squires, including a CVC tele, a CV 60s strat, a J Mascis Jazzmaster, and a VM 5 String bass. All of them are exceptional instruments and rival their Fender counterparts.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 PM

OK I finally arrived in Mexico with a Fender Telecaster ‘50s Classic Series. The entire guitar is slathered with gloss nitrocellulose lacquer* the likes I’ve never seen except on a J-45 a few years back. On a solid body electric guitar it does not inhibit resonance (irony & humor) but appeals to those who like the feel. The classic vibe is in no way a lesser Telecaster but only in its more basic poly finish.

*beautifully polished, meticulous fret work, soft action at the nut, vintage tint fat ‘50s neck a dream fit in the hand.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-06-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 AM

This thread is making me want to buy a Classic Vibe Tele!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday I stopped and tried this one'

It's an absolute beauty! I don't know enough about electrics yet but he said he'd do a good deal on it. Right now, I'd say that I'll be going back for that one and a small amp when I'm ready!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Sorry that that pic is so big, but it really is a beautiful guitar.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 AM

Always 'get the guitar that works for you and your playing conditions'. The guitar with 'bite' you like at lower volume might not sound as good at gigging volume, but if that's not what you do, it doesn't matter. For electric guitars, its always a match between the guitar/pickups AND the amp you use.

I don't understand the tech's 'saddle intonation' comment - the saddles are adjustable, right? Did he mean that the adjustment all the way to one side (long or short) still doesn't get it right? Too bad about the slipping tuner, that would be a reason for exchange right away.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars