The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Lol

I meant to use it as the computer mic...

And I can't get Reaper to read midi files I already have.. it seems to only read it's own files
Reaper works with MIDI files and will import and use anything that Audacity uses. Reaper will handle just about anything you can throw at it, with the exception of some older machines that use proprietary compression formats, but that's very rare these days.

Any DAW will require serious study to understand its use, and the setting up a particular DAW with a particular type of computer or operating system will add to the need to work through compatibility issues.

Factor in the need to be chained close to a computer to use it as a recorder and also deal with fan noise, etc.

That's why I always recommend something like the Zoom R8 for someone who wants to record and not spend a huge amount of time just getting to the point where they CAN record.

Everyone picks their own poison.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Great Point Rudy....

Any thoughts on the Portastudio's over the handheld... Prices seem similar
Like the: TASCAM DP-008EX
Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I'm probably over thinking what I need, I'll probably either buy one of those PreSonus Audiobox 96 studio's For $199 or a Zoom H4 I do think I need to up grade from my Tascam DR 5, the recordings are mainly just for me, for improving in my singing and playing
You don't need to buy anything else. You need to spend a little time figuring out how to make your current equipment work. Buying something else will not solve your problems.

You record to the Tascam and then to edit you can upload the files to your computer and Audacity.

As far as I know, Audacity will not handle MIDI. You can download Reaper for as a free trial and that will play both MIDI and audio.

But why do you need a DAW to play and record MIDI? Do you understand what MIDI is?
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Well, I guess not.. but that's why I'm here asking questions from the pro's
Old 11-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Great Point Rudy....

Any thoughts on the Portastudio's over the handheld... Prices seem similar
Like the: TASCAM DP-008EX
If you're going the portastudio route I'd make sure the bit depth is 24 bit. The Tascam DP-008 records at 16 bit only. At least two phantom power equipped XLR inputs are also a must-have.

The reason why I suggest 24 bit recording is that it makes it much easier to record at lower levels and stay above the noise factor. Twenty-four bit recordings in WAV format can easily be edited in a DAW and provide superior results from what you'll be able to achieve with 16 bit WAV files.

Portastudios are designed to make multi-tracking easy. You can overdub with your DR-05 but it's much more difficult and the quality and results of the recorded overdubs is limited.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you're going the portastudio route I'd make sure the bit depth is 24 bit. The Tascam DP-008 records at 16 bit only.

The reason why I suggest 24 bit recording is that it makes it much easier to record at lower levels and stay above the noise factor. Twenty-four bit recordings in WAV format can easily be edited in a DAW and provide superior results from what you'll be able to achieve with 16 bit WAV files.

Portastudios are designed to make multi-tracking easy. You can overdub with your DR-05 but it's much more difficult and the quality and results of the recorded overdubs is limited.
Thanks Rudy...
Old 11-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
You don't need to buy anything else. You need to spend a little time figuring out how to make your current equipment work. Buying something else will not solve your problems.

You record to the Tascam and then to edit you can upload the files to your computer and Audacity.

As far as I know, Audacity will not handle MIDI. You can download Reaper for as a free trial and that will play both MIDI and audio.

But why do you need a DAW to play and record MIDI? Do you understand what MIDI is?
I googled it and read it... The purpose of this thread to find out what I need to do decent personal recordings to help improve my vocals for playing in live situations as a solo act... Not to become a Sound engineer and that is why all the stupid questions..
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I googled it and read it... The purpose of this thread to find out what I need to do decent personal recordings to help improve my vocals for playing in live situations as a solo act... Not to become a Sound engineer and that is why all the stupid questions..
Right. So it doesn't sound to me that you need anything that records and plays back MIDI. Audacity will work just fine then.

But I'm wondering why you even need Audacity. You can listen to what you've recorded on the Tascam simply by plugging headphones into it.

But you're going to have to spend some time reading the manual to know how it works. Coming here asking the types of questions like you have requires us to spend time typing out the same answers you'll find in the manual.

The only reasons to transfer your recordings from the Tascam to your computer are,
1. To edit the recordings, or
2. So you can monitor play back on speakers.

Why do you want to get the recordings to your computer?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Right. So it doesn't sound to me that you need anything that records and plays back MIDI. Audacity will work just fine then.

But I'm wondering why you even need Audacity. You can listen to what you've recorded on the Tascam simply by plugging headphones into it.

But you're going to have to spend some time reading the manual to know how it works. Coming here asking the types of questions like you have requires us to spend time typing out the same answers you'll find in the manual.

The only reasons to transfer your recordings from the Tascam to your computer are,
1. To edit the recordings, or
2. So you can monitor play back on speakers.

Why do you want to get the recordings to your computer?
You ask more questions than I do........... LOL

Last edited by CASD57; 11-18-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You ask more questions than I do........... LOL
ROTFLMAO...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
The purpose of this thread to find out what I need to do decent personal recordings to help improve my vocals ... Not to become a Sound engineer
That has been my situation precisely. I bought a Tascam DP008ex as recommended in a post above. Very quickly I was able to make simple recordings of the sort you're after; and thereafter I was able to become a bit more adventurous without too much difficulty. True, my recordings sound like they're made in the kitchen, but then, they ARE made in the kitchen.

I once spent three weeks trying to master the Focusrite system in conjuction with my laptop and the fancy software that came with it. The exercise was so complicated - it took me two days even to INSTALL the software, let alone learn how to use it - that it not only nearly killed my wish to record music, it also nearly destroyed my will to live. To this day, that Focusrite kit still sits in disgrace, in a dark cupboard.

I went back to the Tascam and have lived about 80% happily ever after.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

I’m late to this thread, but what computer system are you using? If Windows, I got nothing that hasn’t already even mentioned. But if Mac / IOS, just get an Apogee mic and you’re set. Plugs into your Mac, iPad, or iPhone, and you can use Garage Band on any of those devices. For my own self-critique, I just plug it into my iPhone and shoot a video of myself playing and singing. It’s not professional sound, but I can hear my many and profound flaws very clearly on it. And using Garage Band, you can record as many tracks and overdubs as you want and manipulate the sound to your heart’s content.

You can go with the cheaper Blue Yeti USB mic, and it’ll work with your Mac, but I don’t believe it does with iOS and the sound quality isn’t as good. It’s not a pro setup but you said just for fun home recording, right?

-Ray
Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’m late to this thread, but what computer system are you using? If Windows, I got nothing that hasn’t already even mentioned. But if Mac / IOS, just get an Apogee mic and you’re set. Plugs into your Mac, iPad, or iPhone, and you can use Garage Band on any of those devices. For my own self-critique, I just plug it into my iPhone and shoot a video of myself playing and singing. It’s not professional sound, but I can hear my many and profound flaws very clearly on it. And using Garage Band, you can record as many tracks and overdubs as you want and manipulate the sound to your heart’s content.

You can go with the cheaper Blue Yeti USB mic, and it’ll work with your Mac, but I don’t believe it does with iOS and the sound quality isn’t as good. It’s not a pro setup but you said just for fun home recording, right?

-Ray
Win10 is my poison ..But the blue Yeti would still work..
I've got a Tascam DR05 (Handheld) that doesn't do a bad job but hunting for stuff through the menu's sucks I prefer knobs-sliders etc.., That's why I'm starting to go in the portastudio route like the Tascam DP0008 but someone earlier said it only records in 16 bit, not 24 bit.. So I might have to move up the line.
Also in the midst of improving my vocals/ vocal-playing, I might want to polish the song a little to put on Soundcloud which audacity or Darkaudacity would do..
I will look into garage band
Old 11-23-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what to buy so that I can record myself (Vocal-Guitar) thru my computer.
I'm looking at this bundle

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-recording-kit

Or is there an easier way? plug and play?

Just want to do some recording for myself...
That package is a decent way to start out. If your used to mixers, and can watch some YouTube videos for a bit, studio one is a good DAW to learn. That’ll give you everything you need, except the mic stand. Then you’ll have a bit of learning
Curve. Sweetwater will help you out with all of it, plus there is a lot of YouTube videos. It’s really not that hard to get that system up and going.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 AM

Download the new Taylor guitar app on your phone or tablet and in 10 min you are recording on a 4 track system. Also does mix down, some effects, eq etc. it’s easy and fun and a great way to introduce yourself to the magic of recording. And its FREE!

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD