The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 12:20 PM

Smile Newbie Question...

Haven't been learning that long, but I am wondering how can you tell when it is time to move up in string gauge? I have been using 10's on my acoustics and 9's on the electrics.

The other day I purchased a new Alvarez MD60EBG and it came with D'addario EXP's in 12's and they feel and sound really good to me. By comparison the 10's on my other acoustics seem weak and bland. Might it be time to move up to bigger strings?

I started private lessons a couple of weeks ago and have been improving rapidly from the noodling I have been doing over the last five years. How did you know when it was time to move up?

Last edited by skypeace; 01-17-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM

There are variables here. How long have the 10's been on? What type of guitar are they on? If you like the 12's move on to them. I like 11-52's on my guitars and I really don't think it matters much with any appreciable loss of volume, at least not to me.
9's are very commonly used on Fender Teles. Electric guitars are not generally as touchy with regard to string gauges.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM

String gauge is a matter of personal preference, and not a stage in development.

That being the case, the answer lies in your question. If the 12s feel and sound good to you, now's the time.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Hi,

here is a good explanation video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAwhFkWLG5g

I play 13 newtone master class (roundcore) on my acoustic, cause I often play in very low tunings for example CFCFg#c. I guess this wouldn´t work too well with lighter gauges. And they feel good to me and my guitar likes them :-)

So try different strings till you find your personal favorit.

Tone comes from the material used the winding method and the core used and not so much from the gauge.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

It seems like you're ready, and you'll likely get improved projection and tone with the 12s. Your guitar may need some small adjustments with the change in string tension.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:24 PM

12s or 'Lights' are probably the most common gauge used by steel string acoustic guitarists. Less common are 13s - used primarily by dreadnought & jumbo flatpickers and heavy strummers. Less common still are various lighter gauges used by folks w/special, lower tension needs or on lightly built smaller guitars. Hop on the bus!
And definitely experiment with different brands & materials; for a lot of folks myself included, D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze are a good benchmark to compare other sets to (no affiliation..).
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM

So many great replies, even watched the suggested video, and a few others, ordered some D'Addario EXP16 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings Light 12-53 and some EXP11 80/20's in 12-53, these strings ain't cheap.

Been trying to avoid this part of the journey for awhile as I don't like being in transition, but I can't so I have got to invest in personal R&D by experimenting. Had some Elixirs but didn't like how slippery they felt, that made me grab the Martin's M170's 80/20 Bronze in 10's but the EXP's feel so much better and sound better too. The Martins I could get for sometimes less than $4 a set online, that made them accessible, but I really want to move up.

I am still at the beginner level where I really don't even know what I don't know. but the good thing about that is I am having fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:58 PM

I really think you'll do well with the 12's on your acoustic and 10's on electric. A happy medium with control but able to still bend fairly comfortably. I am one of those that liked 13's on their dreads however.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:35 PM

i believe the 10's are what is referred to as Custom lights -
12's are lights -which is perfectly fine to put on your guitar right now .
Your instruments tone will be kicked up a notch which means it will be a bit louder and sound better --- where the fun part starts is the coated/ uncoated strings / different brands and stuff like PB and 80/20's - but that really is a learning hands on thing -- good luck my friend !
Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM

....funny.....I didn't know we had to "move up" to larger gauge strings....been using 10-46 for years, and don't plan on moving up any time soon....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 PM

Smile intelligent conversations

Got a couple of packs of EXP16's last night, put them on and really have enjoyed them. The projection is increased, they feel more substantial, if that is even a thing, and they sound great, also they are less filling, just kidding.

For me they are a right of passage as every thing led me to believe to start with 10's as a beginner and indeed that did work for me as the larger strings were too hard on my finger tips and I never liked them. Now I love the 12's.

Thanks for all of the informative feedback. This is one of the few places on the net where people actually read books. I come here a lot just to follow the intelligent conversations. Peace
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypeace View Post
Haven't been learning that long, but I am wondering how can you tell when it is time to move up in string gauge? I have been using 10's on my acoustics and 9's on the electrics.

The other day I purchased a new Alvarez MD60EBG and it came with D'addario EXP's in 12's and they feel and sound really good to me. By comparison the 10's on my other acoustics seem weak and bland. Might it be time to move up to bigger strings?

I started private lessons a couple of weeks ago and have been improving rapidly from the noodling I have been doing over the last five years. How did you know when it was time to move up?
The nice thing about experimenting with strings is that they are a relatively inexpensive tweak. As a person new to this, I suggest you experiment wisely by keeping a journal. Every time you change strings- gauge, brand, material of the string, write down all that info.

Write down your initial impressions of the sound, feel, etc. of the new strings. Then after 10 days of playing them, go back and write down how you think they sound, feel, play, etc.

You will start to discover what works for you. And yes, I think 12s will be something you will like. It depends on the specific brand of string, of course and how you play. Some players do well with very light strings.

The right strings... FOR YOU... can make a very big difference.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypeace View Post
....10's as a beginner... Now I love the 12's.
I mentioned 10s to my wizened old luthier, and he wouldn't let me. No, you've got to have 12s, he said. He was right. Glad to hear you got there, skypeace!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks for the replys guys, totally inspiring.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 AM

One thing you need to remember is that there is absolutely no right or wrong answer. Some people play 10's their whole lives and love them. Some people find them too light or too heavy. Heck, Hendrix used 7's!!!! Some people play 14's and swear by them. Others use whatever they are comfortable with. I use everything from 9's to 14's depending on the guitar and am happy with all of them.

That said, when I'm in my shop setting up a guitar for someone who isn't sure what they like, I typically go with EJ16's. It is a good starting point and a reference that any tech and most players will know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion