The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM

I bought my Martin D-35 because of it's deep, rich bottom end.
I have never thought of it as dark though.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Looks like the OM35 is taking an early lead.
Yeah, I find that a bit surprising.
Personally, I do think the nature of the OM/000 body style is more accommodating to a darker tone than a dread, but the standout quality I noticed in the one OM-35 I played was how balanced the tone felt.
That said, I still think the full scale adds a punch to the tone that articulates the treble more than sub-25" scale acoustics.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [J.K.] View Post
Personally, I do think the nature of the OM/000 body style is more accommodating to a darker tone than a dread, but the standout quality I noticed in the one OM-35 I played was how balanced the tone felt.
That said, I still think the full scale adds a punch to the tone that articulates the treble more than sub-25" scale acoustics.
I think what it shows is that peoples idea of balance is different and, hence, what constitutes dark. The 35 series, as I'm sure you know, has 1/4" braces, so the probability of them being more bass-dominant is higher.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

For me this one

and I'll refer you to this thread if you wish to read more detail and to hear some recordings of it:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=164387

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-17-2019, 03:14 PM

I have a Taylor 320e Spring Edition all Mahogany Baritone that is very dark. I distinguish dark from the natural low note sound. This guitar to me is a jumbo Dred-it makes my Martin DC-Aura look small next to it in the cabinet. It has a natural reverb to it. Deep and dark. My favorite songs to play on it are Castles Burning by Neal Young and CSN’s Ohio. I love it!!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYE...oE4Or&index=33

This Jeff Traugott RJ Brazilian / German

Kind of guitar that I wonder why most highly successful acoustic players in the world couldn't pull out for some thick tone songs. Some great players choosing to play amazing vintage Martins and the many balanced and clear toned hand made guitars. But where are the deepest of the deep? Coaxing piano like lush tone on stage from millionaire performers that we love to hear play?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Cedar/Rosewood Breedlove.

Way too dark for me. I really thought I wanted one of these until I played it, and ended up with Sitka/Rosewood instead.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Whatever John Lennon used on Working Class Hero. Can’t get much darker than that song.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 PM

Default The darkest tone you've heard from an acoustic

Quote:
The darkest tone you've heard from an acoustic
A Collings, and a Bourgeois come to mind that I've played a few times.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYE...oE4Or&index=33

This Jeff Traugott RJ Brazilian / German

Kind of guitar that I wonder why most highly successful acoustic players in the world couldn't pull out for some thick tone songs. Some great players choosing to play amazing vintage Martins and the many balanced and clear toned hand made guitars. But where are the deepest of the deep? Coaxing piano like lush tone on stage from millionaire performers that we love to hear play?
I'm drooling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYE...1dwWVl4kyoE4Or
Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 PM

That Traugott sounded incredibly beautiful to me in my headphones. Seriously, when he started to strum, my stomach dropped out!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-17-2019, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The darkest toned guitar i have ever played is a Kevin Ryan Nightingale in cedar and east indian rosewood.i have also played sitka/eirw nightingales and they were almost aa dark.
For me it also was a Ryan Nightingale: Englemann and Cocobolo. I saw it listed for sale and arranged to visit, a 4 hour round trip--I really wanted to like it. But it was too dark. Before that I didn't know such a thing was possible. I like a dark tone.

The darkest toned guitar that I liked was a McKnight HighLander in Redwood and Cocobolo. Absolutely amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I bought my Martin D-35 because of it's deep, rich bottom end.
I have never thought of it as dark though.
I played an HD-35 for 7 years. It's just as you describe: deep and rich, but not dark.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 AM

Likewise - i have played an om35 martin before and the one i played certainly did not sound dark to my recollection at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [J.K.] View Post
Old 01-20-2019, 02:44 AM

That nightingale tone is not suitable for all songs and all genres as it is so thick and heavy that it was like drinking a super thick hot chocolate when you thought you were drinking a syphon made single origin cup of brewed coffee.

For some songs however no other guitar will sound as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
For me it also was a Ryan Nightingale: Englemann and Cocobolo. I saw it listed for sale and arranged to visit, a 4 hour round trip--I really wanted to like it. But it was too dark. Before that I didn't know such a thing was possible. I like a dark tone.

The darkest toned guitar that I liked was a McKnight HighLander in Redwood and Cocobolo. Absolutely amazing.

I played an HD-35 for 7 years. It's just as you describe: deep and rich, but not dark.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I bought it here. An OO Melbourne. A neat guitar. The back and sides are very old Repurposed Oak, the top is Douglass Fir that dried as a set for 75 years before being used. The guitar was built then put away for 35 years. I am ( as far as I know) the second owner after a 35 year nap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion