The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2018, 03:54 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats! Beautiful wood and workmanship.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Double Trouble - Fraternal Twins

Mike R and Mike A, Louie and Matthew, thank you for having a look and your comments!

Tyler actually built two fraternal twins with this Fiddleback Mahogany. The other guitar, a R.1ca differs from mine by adding a florentine cutaway. Also the rosette and backstrip are identical but a reversed mirror image. Lastly, on my R.1a, he applied a burst finish to the fiddleback mahogany on the front and back of the headstock, rosette, neck heel and the backstrip which really makes it pop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Love the rosette!! I'd consider ordering one for that alone!
The rosette is something I really love about this guitar as well. Included below are some pics of both sets in progress:

The R.1ca is a beauty which sold through Dream Guitars. Here is the video review Paul Heumiller recorded for that guitar:

"]

Last edited by doodahdoug; 12-13-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Picture editing
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

That instrument looks incredible. Although I do like the Tree, I actually like this fiddleback a bit more.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That instrument looks incredible. Although I do like the Tree, I actually like this fiddleback a bit more.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ditto
Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

That is such a stunning instrument ... kudos to Tyler!
Old 11-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
The rosette is something I really love about this guitar as well. Included below are some pics of both sets in progress:

The R.1ca is a beauty which sold through Dream Guitars. Here is the video review Paul Heumiller recorded for that guitar:

"]
Amazing. I shouldn't order a guitar just because of the rosette, but I'd make an exception for this one.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Hog Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Justin and Codfather thank you for posting. "The Tree" mahogany is one of my favorites and I am fortunate enough to own a commissioned Razo Tree mahogany GA finished last year and now this Robbins R.1a in "The Fiddleback Tree". Both put a big smile on my face every time I play them.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=razo

David Wren, thank you for your comments, I am sure Tyler especially appreciates hearing this from a builder of your standing.

If you are interested in Tyler Robbins work you may enjoy a thread by Jim Magill, Director of the Swannanoa Gathering, that includes a very thoughtful review of his own Robbins R.1 that I found very informative:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=Tyler+Robbins

I have not read a review that breaks down the components of a guitar's "sound" the way that his does.

Thank you to everyone for following along. I want to commend Tyler Robbins for his creative design sense and excellent workmanship on this fine instrument. He is a genuinely nice guy and I am proud to own one of his guitars. I promise I won't be wearing this tye-dye guitar shirt again until the next Woodstock show in 2020 (if ever) but when in Rome...

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-13-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 PM

Oh cool, so I played this guitar at the Woodstock show. Same deal as you, back in one of those quiet rooms. It's super nice. Sounded and played great. Don't worry, I was careful with it

Like you, I saw Tyler walking around the show and after chatting a bit asked if he had any guitars there to play. Your was it.

I also played the Cocobolo/spruce guitar he brought to last years show. If Paul at Dream Guitars hadn't already snatched it up I would have bought it on the spot. The incredibly clear figure on that cocobolo was unforgettable, and it was one of the three best sounding guitars I played there all weekend, and I played some really nice ones.

Congrats on your guitar, it certainly made me happy for the 10 minutes I spent with it
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM

Default My take on “Robins Guitars” and Tyler Robins the builder

A couple years ago - maybe three now, I was having trouble with my Heritage Golden Eagle. I needed a luthier to work on it to replace the nut, which cracked at the B string. I was led in the direction of Galloup Guitars, where I met Tyler. He was more then accommodating to me and did the work on my guitar, which turned out fantastic. He fixed the nut, dressed the frets, total setup. It played as good as new, maybe better! I am a jazz guitarist. At that time I was getting interested in learning more about playing gypsy jazz style. I didn’t realize at the time what a high quality of a guitar builder Tyler was. I hadn’t seen his guitars yet. Like I said I was getting interested in gypsy style and Tyler builds extremely high-end acoustic guitar.

After seeing and playing one of his guitars and doing more research I realized I was dealing with a very talented builder! After several months I started thinking of the possibility of having him build a gypsy guitar for me. So I contacted him, he was more then happy to give it a try. We talked about different options for possible style and how he would probably only build one and that he is very serious about his brand of acoustic guitars. It came to me then that rather then gypsy, I had to have a “Robins” guitar. With that decision, I gave him the go ahead to start building mine. He was ready to start building his second model, the R.2 a slight bit smaller version of the R.1 I thought that would fit my style of playing well. With that, he has been building it for me since mid summer. I have no doubt of the quality that I will soon be getting. I also have no concern about the timeline. Tyler is a very professional communicator, hard worker, with a true sense for business. He is very easy to work with and really takes time to help with understanding the process of construction. I’m just a jazz guitarist - not too guitar technical! I’ve asked him many questions along the way, he has promptly addressed my questions with knowledgeable easy to understand responses.

I am of course very excited to start playing my new first of a kind R.2 Robins acoustic guitar. I can’t thank Tyler enough for his patience and sharing his skills to make this work of art for me.

If you are looking for quality, look no further!

I will try to add some pictures soon. Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Robbins R.2 Coming Soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreszka View Post
A couple years ago - maybe three now, I was having trouble with my Heritage Golden Eagle. I needed a luthier to work on it to replace the nut, which cracked at the B string. I was led in the direction of Galloup Guitars, where I met Tyler. He was more then accommodating to me and did the work on my guitar, which turned out fantastic. He fixed the nut, dressed the frets, total setup. It played as good as new, maybe better! I am a jazz guitarist. At that time I was getting interested in learning more about playing gypsy jazz style. I didn’t realize at the time what a high quality of a guitar builder Tyler was. I hadn’t seen his guitars yet. Like I said I was getting interested in gypsy style and Tyler builds extremely high-end acoustic guitar.

After seeing and playing one of his guitars and doing more research I realized I was dealing with a very talented builder! After several months I started thinking of the possibility of having him build a gypsy guitar for me. So I contacted him, he was more then happy to give it a try. We talked about different options for possible style and how he would probably only build one and that he is very serious about his brand of acoustic guitars. It came to me then that rather then gypsy, I had to have a “Robins” guitar. With that decision, I gave him the go ahead to start building mine. He was ready to start building his second model, the R.2 a slight bit smaller version of the R.1 I thought that would fit my style of playing well. With that, he has been building it for me since mid summer. I have no doubt of the quality that I will soon be getting. I also have no concern about the timeline. Tyler is a very professional communicator, hard worker, with a true sense for business. He is very easy to work with and really takes time to help with understanding the process of construction. I’m just a jazz guitarist - not too guitar technical! I’ve asked him many questions along the way, he has promptly addressed my questions with knowledgeable easy to understand responses.

I am of course very excited to start playing my new first of a kind R.2 Robins acoustic guitar. I can’t thank Tyler enough for his patience and sharing his skills to make this work of art for me.

If you are looking for quality, look no further!

I will try to add some pictures soon. Thanks
Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum Randy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with Tyler's work.

I am looking forward to the debut of his R.2 model. Tyler mentioned to me that the R.2 is based on a Gibson L-00 shape. He also shared that he has a couple of pre-orders underway and hopes to have a third one completed in time to bring to the Artisan Guitar Show.

May I suggest, since the R.2 is a brand new model for Tyler, that you start a new thread to feature your R.2. That way folks interested in the R.2 can easily find it.

Starting your own thread is as simple as selecting the "New Thread" button in the lower left area of your screen once you are in the Custom Shop sub-group.

Again, welcome to AGF and I look forward to seeing more of the new Robbins R.2.

Best - Doug
Old 12-05-2018, 05:08 PM

I love the bevels!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Doug!

Like you, I had a bit of in impulse at Woodstock, but every time I pick up my new guitar, I am soooooo glad that I listened to my inner self. I'm glad that you get to experience the same.

I appreciate you taking me down to the quite room (with Tyler in tow) to play your new guitar. From my limited time with it, the fit and feel was definitely on par with the best guitars out there. I have a feeling I'll be able to check it out again. The whole theme of the guitar is awesome, and most importantly, it sounds great.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

WOW!! How did I miss this thread?? (Must have been playing the guitar...)

Congratulations, Doug, on a beautiful instrument built by an extremely talented luthier. That's some serious mahogany, dude! I love all the details and how they come together in a cohesive whole. It looks like an ergonomic dream, as well. Tyler deserves all the praise he's been getting, that's for sure!

Enjoy in peace.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a wonderful new Guitar.

Tyler is a builder that has taken guitar artistry to another level...not to mention the voice, simply angelic. Enjoy!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Congratulations on a wonderful new Guitar.

Tyler is a builder that has taken guitar artistry to another level...not to mention the voice, simply angelic. Enjoy!
As much as I love the design elements and stunning figuring of the fiddleback mahogany on this guitar, it is the beautiful voice that sealed the deal for me.

I've had the guitar for 1 month now and it sounds even better than when I first played it in a quiet room at Woodstock and I expect will continue to open up beautifully over time.

Thank you Godfather, Deft, Nootis, Ovation and everyone for having a look!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop