The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Ukulele Camp

My daughter ran a ukulele building camp in early August for girls 10-13. Stew Mac donated kits and tools, and they sent a film crew for the last couple of days of the week. I spent a day fitting necks and fooling around, and these girls were a load of fun and so intensely interested I was truly inspired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=q_yaSjYZqH8

Proud Papa
Ed
Old 09-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I just watched it this afternoon. What a neat experience.

It was so cool to see the girls get into this. Who knows what it might inspire in them in later life - maybe we're watching the next Linda Manzer...

Great stuff!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM

What a great project!! When we lived in South Carolina my husband and I taught a summer class for middle school kids. We met for four hours a day four days in a row. The kids made ukuleles from Wolfelele kits (not nearly as advanced as the Stew Mac kits). Mark (artist) taught them to build and decorate the kits, I (singer/songwriter) taught them to play . I had a classroom set of regular ukuleles they could use during the construction phase when glue and/or paint was drying etc. By the fourth day, they were playing their own instruments and singing three songs (This Land, Yellow Submarine and Rock Around the Clock) for their parents and friends. We loved doing this with the kids and were invited back every summer until we moved to Colorado in 2016. Here's a video of the second year we taught the class. Interesting that it was open to all students but we never had more than two boys in the class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwtDhgUr9SY
Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 PM

jg

Great story. My daughter has her own repair shop and wanted to concentrate on girls. She has a commitment from Stew Mac to do it again next year and hopes for many more than the 8 she got this year.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments