The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Roland AC-60 with Subwoofer

I just got a Roland AC-60 and was wondering if I could use a Fender BLues Jr. tube amp with 12" speaker as a sub for larger places. I was thinking about what gear I already have rather than having to buy something else.

If not, anyone have an inexpensive suggestion of what I might be able to use instead.

Thanks.

Last edited by jricc; 08-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM

I've got the Roland AC-60 and I have it paired with a Sony 10 in.active subwoofer . I set the Roland with legs out on top of the sub and have a really nice compact package with a really small footprint on the stage . I don't remember what it cost(maybe $200?) but, I don't think it was that much and they really sound nice together .
Good luck with your search .
Dan
Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I just got a Roland AC-60 and was wondering if I could use a Fender BLues Jr. tube amp with 12" speaker as a sub for larger places. I was thinking about what gear I already have rather than having to buy something else.

If not, anyone have an inexpensive suggestion of what I might be able to use instead.

Thanks.
Since the lowest not on a guitar tuned to, E, is approximately 82 Hz, the question arises, why do you want to extend the low frequency response of the AC-60?

The Fender's open back cabinet makes it subject to phase cancellation which diminishes its low frequency response so even though it has a 12 inch woofer, the low frequency response is not adequate for use as a subwoofer.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM

I played a Roland 60 combined with a Fender Rumble 60 bass amp at my local fave store - you can get those for $269 most anywhere - that combination made the Roland huge sounding and very guitar neutral - when I switched from a Taylor 710 to a Gibson Advanced Jumbo the difference was easily heard and noticeable. I found the Fender Rumble 60 a good mate to the output of the Roland - I tried a Rumble 30 for a little less money but the Roland could out-pace the 30 watt bass amp. I ended up buying a Roland 90 and a Hartke 120 1X12 combo and while more stuff to cart around - they compliment each other so very well it's worth it - both amps are solid state so they are not all that heavy to begin with. I put the Roland on a speaker stand and set the Hartke amp underneath it, a compact tone center - Seriously if you try any smaller bass combo with that Roland 60 you will not want to use the amp with out it again - it sounds that good.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Herb and doublescale1 for your replies.

When I get some extra $, I'll have to start looking for a Fender Rumble.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:34 AM

If you are considering a micro bass amp, these reasonably priced ones are made in USA:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...p?product=MB10

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...p?product=MB15
Old 08-28-2010, 03:47 PM

If I got one of these guys (like the Carvin unit) for extending the bass performance of an acoustic amp, how would I hook it up?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If you are considering a micro bass amp, these reasonably priced ones are made in USA:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...p?product=MB10

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...p?product=MB15
Hi Herb,

It's nice to see another Carvin Fan!

If more folks were aware of, and considered and tried Carvin products, especially their electric guitars, and PA gear and guitar amps, Carvin would be all over AGF's board categories in any manner of discussions. Carvin products, most of which are made in the U.S.A., coupled with Carvin's factory-direct sales scheme which eliminates the middle-man, are reasonably-priced, quality American goods! The only downside that I can see to buying Carvin products new is that their sale value as used equipment isn't as high, proportionately, new to used, as the well-known mainstream instrument and gear builders.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post

It's nice to see another Carvin Fan!
Another Carvin fan here, I have used their PA heads and they've been very good to me.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:38 PM

buzzaedwhiskey - the Roland 60 & 90 have dedicated sub-woffer 1/4" out puts for use with a regular guitar cord - so all you do is go out from there to the front input where you'd plug in an instrument - just that easy - those are the only ones I've done this with so that is all I can tell you.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublescale1 View Post
buzzaedwhiskey - the Roland 60 & 90 have dedicated sub-woffer 1/4" out puts for use with a regular guitar cord - so all you do is go out from there to the front input where you'd plug in an instrument - just that easy - those are the only ones I've done this with so that is all I can tell you.
Ah, very good. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification