The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar cable with volume control

Now this is a neat invention. Taylor had just patented a guitar cable that has a volume knob on the (angled) plug so that anyone can have "onboard" volume control that wouldn't otherwise have this. It seems so obvious once you see it, it's hard to believe that noone thought of this one before.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM

I dont know about a guitar cable but now that i think about it a mic cable with volume control would be just great!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM

Cool. That was the only downside I found with the No Controls ES I had in my old R Taylor. The volume had to be adjusted elsewhere, which could be a pain. Looks like they have solved that. Good show!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Also Guyatone

Guyatone also makes an excellent volume cable - I bought one several years ago, don't need it anymore, and it's now for sale. It is a straight plug though, not angled.

Guyatone Speed Cable
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Ahh. Cool. Didn't know about that version. I'd assume unlike the Taylor specific version it's unbalanced. Still, nifty!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Ahh. Cool. Didn't know about that version. I'd assume unlike the Taylor specific version it's unbalanced. Still, nifty!
Joe,

The Taylor version is also unbalanced. I had to double-check; I thought it was balanced as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
Joe,

The Taylor version is also unbalanced. I had to double-check; I thought it was balanced as well.
Well geeze! Ok so much for that idea. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Shadow makes a cable with a little preamp (volume and tone controls included) built into it. Its especially useful for guitars with passive pickups.

PUTW makes a "Power Plug" preamp (volume control included) which plugs into the strap-jack and acts as an interface between the guitar and cable.

Schatten Design makes a passive "Black Box" which similarly interfaces between guitar and cable. The caveats with the Black Box are that a) its only recommended for use with active pickup systems and b) there's some treble roll-off as the volume decreases.

Gary
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I'd be interested in one of those, so long as it doesn't affect the overall tone of my guitars... I currently use an Ernie Ball volume pedal, but only to mute my guitars when I switch the cable between my 6 and 12 string guitars. I have noticed that the pedal rolls off a TON of high end if it's not totally engaged... thereby rendering it useless as a volume control, IMO...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
Joe,

That's really too bad. I presume it's because it's "taylored" (haha) for the GS Mini pickup, which doesn't have the ES controls.

But with many ES stealth and blue pickups out (especially in high end RTs etc.) you'd think they'd offer a balanced cable with volume for a premium price.

rr
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM

Just saw the new Taylor vol cable in the Wood and Steel - looks very good. Don't NEED one, but looks good.

Think I will try the new fold-up stand though. Always something!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 AM

Default Where's the cable?

Been surfing for one (New GS Mini on order) ... only Elderly seems to have them and they are on backorder for late September. If anybody knows a source that has them, I'd like to know.
Thanks - Doug
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 PM

Here's an old favorite from way back. They have a second version which also has a tone control in it, so may help with any treble loss problems?

http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm#Cables
Old 08-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Now this is a neat invention. Taylor had just patented a guitar cable that has a volume knob on the (angled) plug so that anyone can have "onboard" volume control that wouldn't otherwise have this. It seems so obvious once you see it, it's hard to believe that noone thought of this one before.
is it active?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM

I saw that in the latest Wood and Steel. Like most Taylor products, it looks to be very well thought out, and very high quality. I have no need for it, but I'm sure it will be a useful tool for many.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification