The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM

Default Strings question

Hey all. When I first purchased my guitar (Fender Acoustic all MahoganyCD-140) I told the guy from Guitar Center I was a rookie and wanted the most play able, easy on my fingers strings.
The last time I got re-strung I did the opposite. I asked to have the best sounding deepest tone strings that were reasonable priced (unfortunately I do not know the brand on ether of these).
So that leads me to where I am now. I really like the sound of the heavy strings I have now. But also I have been playing mostly plugged in as I gear up to start hitting up some open mics.
So I want strings that will be easy to play, but still have a deep tone. Oxymoron? Lol. My thought is that since I will be plugged in the sound of the strings would not matter as much since I will be getting most of my tone from EQ and amp. Is this faulty thinking?
i thought of this while I was at GC today. I played at least 10 different acoustics just looking to see if Anything jumped out to me. Then on the way out I picked up an electric and boy was that so much easier to play. Meaning I never felt like I hit a bad note. I assume a big reason is the strings which lead me to think if I got a light, playable strings for my acoustic, the sound/tone would still be fine when I am plugged in.
What are your thoughts?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Martin Retro Monel strings go well with mahogany.

You might find the custom gauge 11-52's easy to play without sacrificing too much of that deeper heavy string sound.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 AM

My approach is to first find the strings that sound best on my guitar. Then I put the string box/envelope in my case with notes regarding my evaluation of those strings on that guitar & the date of the installation.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

For a lighter feel, less tension, easier to bend, etc. try a light gauge round core string like DR Sunbeams or Newtone Masterclass. They have great tone and sustain.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 AM

I'm a big fan of LaBella silk and steel at the moment, but I do play the mediums - 0.12-0.56. Still have a much softer feel than 0.12 phosphor bronze or 80/20 strings that I tried also. So, for me, the best compromise. I found that 0.11's were just too light to drive my cedar top dread.
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 12-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

As already mentioned, Martin Retro's are a favorite for mahogany and they are very easily playable. But, you can't compare strings unless you know what you have on the guitar. I keep a diary of the strings on the guitars with comments when they go on and when they come off.

And what are you doing going to GC to have strings put on? There is really nothing to it. Look on Youtube and see how to do it, but all you have to do is wrap it around the post a few times, stick it through the hole, and tighten it up!

Can't wait to hear about your first open mic, go break a leg!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:44 AM

Kpronline -

Getting past this hurdle is one that I also dealt with. Here are some ideas:
  • #1 and most important, make sure that the guitar is set up properly so that it is easy to fret.
  • An old trick is to tune down a half-step (D#-G#-C#-F#-A#-D#) or a whole step (D-G-C-F-A-D). Not only will it make it easier to fret the guitar, but many guitars seem to have more bass when tuned lower. Use a capo when playing to instructional videos or with friends.
  • Play in a livelier room (more sound reflection) and you might find that your guitar has more bass than you realized; also, consider letting a friend play it for you so that you can hear it from the listener's perspective.
  • Round core strings - (above mentioned Newtones and Sunbeams) have lower tension, as do Silk and Steels, SCGC parabolics, and Straight up Strings. I found that the smoother strings (ie) Elixir coated) were easier on my fingers too.
  • It's counter-intuitive, but as you become a better player you'll put less force on the strings when fretting, and there will be less finger-fatigue. One exercise I used was to put as little fretting pressure on the string as possible and yet still produce a note; relax the hand and repeat. Then practice switching chords and doing small licks - again, as little pressure as possible.. Once you fine tune that pressure, you'll be able to play on most strings, regardless of gauge.

Hope this helps.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 12-10-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Smile

Thanks all! I went with the Martin Retro Monel strings 11-52 and they sound great with awesome playability. And I’d changed them myself I could become addicted to string experimenting!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpronline View Post
Thanks all! I went with the Martin Retro Monel strings 11-52 and they sound great with awesome playability. And I’d changed them myself I could become addicted to string experimenting!
You will like those strings. Give them a few days to settle down.
They are easy to play and if you're plugged in a lot the gauge really doesn't matter much sound-wise. Enjoy!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion