The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Spruce/Cedar, 640/650?

There seems to be endless articles regarding spruce vs. cedar top classical guitars. I've concluded it's largely a matter of personal preference.

So, for those of you who own both, are there particular pieces or musical styles that cause you to choose one over the other? Do you switch guitars for different pieces?

As far as scale length is concerned: If you wanted a 640 and a 650, and you also wanted a spruce and a cedar, how would you choose to pair them? 640 spruce and 650 cedar? or 640 cedar and 650 spruce?

Are these dumb questions? Am I overanalyzing?

Last edited by SlimGeezer; 12-08-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Just my opinion:
Quote:
Are these dumb questions?
No.
Quote:
Am I overanalyzing?
Maybe a little.
Quote:
Spruce vs. cedar. I've concluded it's largely a matter of personal preference.
It is.
Quote:
Do you switch guitars for different pieces?
No.
Quote:
As far as scale length is concerned: If you wanted a 640 and a 650, and you also wanted a spruce and a cedar, how would you choose to pair them? 640 spruce and 650 cedar? or 640 cedar and 650 spruce?
That doesn't matter at all.
What matters most is the build quality and your own preference for either length, i.e. if you prefer 640 over 650, then that's what you go with.

Generally speaking, there are certainly tonal differences between both spruce and cedar, but the quality of the guitar build is much more important. All things being equal, i.e. same build, go with the tone (cedar vs. spruce) and feel/playability (640 vs. 650) you like best.
One last comment/opinion:
A lot of the tone you might hear from other players in videos and such is largely in their hands, and less the tone wood. So, best that you decide on your own what you like best. Ideally, a side by side comparison.
Also, two different builds may sway your opinion of cedar vs. spruce, and also scale lengths. What you thought you liked better turns out not to be the case necessarily.
So, try not to focus too narrowly on those details, i.e. try not to over analyze.
The good thing is, it doesn't matter much in the end what you end up with, as long as you're happy with it.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 PM

Thanks! That makes sense. I've been playing on a 660mm classical guitar for a long time and because of age I'm considering going down as far as 640 to make it a bit easier on myself. I've heard a lot of people talk about the benefits in playability by going from a 650 to a 640. But I'm wondering about any down side. I'm not sure I want a narrower nut size as I'm happy with the string spacing on a 52mm. I plan to go out tomorrow and try some 640s, but sometimes it's like trying shoes -- they seem okay in the store, but after you get them home they are not quite what you thought.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I too played for many years on a 660mm+ sized guitar, and that, combined with relatively high action, made it a bear playability wise, not that I knew any better back then. I just rolled with the punches.... (So, I understand where you’re coming from.)
Years later, and wiser?, I learned that I much preferred smaller scale guitars. Currently, I have two 640s, and one 645. 640 is my personal favorite but honestly, I don’t think 10mm makes that much of a difference. If I were to get a new one I wouldn’t rule out a 650 model, because there are many more out there. It seems like it’s become the de facto standard.
That said, there are many that prefer even lower scale lenghts, like 630 and lower still.
So, it really comes down to personal preference. If the guitar is well built, it will have potential. If the smaller scale works better for you, then by all means go for it, but do keep an open mind, maybe give yourself a range, like 630...650 so that you don’t miss out on a good one, especially if you’re in a position to try them out.
Generally speaking, a smaller scale like 640 will tend to favor standard tension strings, but I still use high tension, having never weaned myself off of them from the early years playing the longer scale guitar.
So, there are no firm rules.
Good luck with your search. If you find a good one, do let us know, with pics too.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 12-09-2018, 09:18 PM

Thanks! I live in Memphis, Tennessee where classical guitars are not easy to find. I'm hoping to find something at Guitar Center or at a guitar academy that sometimes carries Cordoba and Kremona. I'm eager to see what they have tomorrow. I'm also considering a Pavan, but I'm a little nervous about ordering something I haven't played.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGeezer View Post
I'm also considering a Pavan, but I'm a little nervous about ordering something I haven't played.
That's certainly a consideration, but at least with Pavans, you would be dealing with a reputable luthier who oversees their builds.
One last thought, should you not find anything that floats your boat:
The builder Kenny Hill (based in CA) has always been a fan of smaller scale guitars. He offers a line in the same price range as the Cordobas, his "New World" Player series, with solid woods and scale lengths ranging from 650 down to 615.
You might not come across any of these either where you are, but, worth a consideration sight unseen if you're still undecided. He too stands behind all his products 100%.

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Guitar Center had nothing except low-end Cordobas. They are nice for the price. The guitar academy has two Cordoba Master Series: the Torres and Hauser. They also have a C12 and a couple C10s. I played a spruce and cedar C10. I think I'll rule out cedar because of the tone. I can play down the brightness of the spruce, but I don't think there's any way to really brighten the cedar. I'm still not sure about the 640 scale. I think I'll have to go back next week and spend a little more time with the Torres. I need to be sure about that smaller nut width.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Might I suggest you get in touch with Chuck at All Things Nylon in North Carolina?? They've got a great selection of nylon string guitars.

Chucks a great guy and can talk you through some of your questions.

https://allstringsnylon.com

hope this helps

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical