The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 AM

The "correct" fix for the bridge is often replacement.

The top crack along the fingerboard is serious stuff and needs realignment before it starts to look like this:

Frank Ford

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-25-2018 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzybt View Post
I bought this Washburn D-56SW from guitar center online. Beautiful guitar and a wonderful sound. While I was cleaning it up, I saw this crack along the neck on the top. The neck block is not cracked or loose. Anyway, I'm going to try and repair it with runny super CA glue.
Let’s start with, I would return it.

I find the bridges crack like that from loose bridge pins, so after bridge repair, either the pins need to be made larger so they don’t rock in the pin hole or the bridge plate is in need of repair or replacement.

The soundboard at neck location, that is not good, it has taken a hit substantial enough to split the top of the guitar, so it’s suffered a bad trauma or the neck block is loose or tongue brace is loose

Not something I would recommend a person with no or minimal repair experience tackle, if it’s covered under any sort of warranty go back to them.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I find the bridges crack like that from loose bridge pins, so after bridge repair, either the pins need to be made larger so they don’t rock in the pin hole or the bridge plate is in need of repair or replacement.
More often bridges crack from people pushing/banging the bridge pins into the holes too hard in the mistaken belief that there has to be enough friction between the pin and bridge to keep the string from slipping. The truth is the pin only needs to be inserted hard enough so that it will not fall out. It is only needed to keep the ball of the string from coming up through the hole. The strings are not pulling on the bridge pins. The strings are pulling up against the bridge plate inside the guitar and are pushing down hard on the top of the guitar through the saddle and bridge. The strings will not pull the bridge off.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:52 PM

I inspected the crack, and it really looks like it took a good wack. The neck block is tight with no cracks, the crack is only on one side, the braces are not broken, nor have they come loose from the top. I think I will just glue it with some thin CA glue and test it out. I humidified the guitar which has closed the crack a bit. Any tips on gluing?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I think I will just glue it with some thin CA glue and test it out. I humidified the guitar which has closed the crack a bit. Any tips on gluing?
Yes, dont use ca glue.

With a split as large as per your photo and the subsequent mis-alignment, you have to have a broken brace or loose brace up the front there, it needs to be fixed first

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-29-2018, 06:11 PM

Don't do it.

Accept the advice that you solicited. Expert, experienced luthiers have told you it is a not a simple crack that only needs glue.

The top has suffered a shear failure with displacement. The neck block has rotated causing the failure. It needs more attention than glue.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:39 PM

To join wood to wood you need wood glue, such as this, and clamps.

WOOD GLUE.jpg
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM

Default time to return

I think there's no way this guitar warrants the kinds of repairs it needs. OP bought the guitar at an undamaged price and received an instrument worth less than the cost of repairs. I think this instrument would be overpriced if it was free.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:19 PM

It was indeed a loose brace. All fixed now.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:43 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Wow. I had to scratch my head on this one. No offense but is this an April fools in November? Dude! That is so not.... a super glue fix. And GC does have a decent return policy. Come on, this was a joke right? Tell us you try and make funny one.

They refunded my money, then told me to keep it. Since it was nothing but a loose brace running across the neck block;(most likely from the factory), I re glued and clamped it, resulting in the crack closing so tight that it looks like a finish crack. It is now a wonderfully playing guitar that I essentially got for free. Repairing guitars is not a mystical talent; it is simple woodworking. Diagnosing though, that's a different ball game!
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Repairing guitars is not a mystical talent; it is simple woodworking. Diagnosing though, that's a different ball game!
Whilst I am happy you have it solved and resolved, I dis-agree with your comment.

Repairing guitars is very much a talent based skill, bordering sometimes on “mystical”, far different to basic woodworking and no disrespect to any builders here, but IMO, far harder than building a guitar (yes I do build guitars).

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM

+1 on Steve's comment comparing build to repair. I think building involves a 'clean sheet of paper', repair can involve anything. I think it's tougher to make a repair invisible than to build that same area afresh.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
They refunded my money, then told me to keep it.
Glad it worked out for you. They apparently realized that it would be impossible to sell upon return, and you were willing to tackle the repair.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:25 PM

I did find that the brace that goes across where the truss rod adjustment allen head is, had no glue under it! this caused the stress that made the crack along the neck. After gluing the brace down, the crack closed up and there was almost no room to glue the crack. The guitar plays beautifully now and is one of my favorite to play. GC refunded my money and I got to keep the guitar. A freebie that plays great, can't ask for better!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
The "correct" fix for the bridge is often replacement.

The top crack along the fingerboard is serious stuff and needs realignment before it starts to look like this:

Mine was cracked on one side of the neck, with very little pulling by the string tension. Got it fixed now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair