The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Question for drummers

I just got some of the Ahead Drum Silencers. They fit all the drums and sorta fit my cymbals, except for one. I'm kinda sitting on the fence with them. They're OK, but the rebound is not as good as I had hoped. It's not bad, but considering how good practice pads have been for decades, I thought these would be a little better. Has anyone ever tried these or a different brand?

I've found my ears are not as thrilled about the volume of my drums as they were 40 years ago. Who'd a thunk it?

Anybody use some sort of silencers on your set?

IMG_2243.jpg
Old 12-08-2018, 07:51 PM

I use Remo Silent Stroke heads and Zildjian L80’s low volume cymbals. My wife approves and would like me to put them back on.

I have those same pads you’ve got there in a box somewhere. At least they didn’t cost a lot.

Here is a picture of my kit from a while back before I went back to real heads and cymbals.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Johnny... great pic! I appreciate the info. Nice-looking cymbals!

Vic Firth makes some like the ones I've got and I'm sure they're better. I just wonder how much better. Right now, I think these will serve my purpose, but I wish they had a little more rebound.

I really don't want a practice pad set, but I don't see why someone can't make something with practice pad technology to go on top of the drumheads. Makes sense to me.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Thanks, Johnny... great pic! I appreciate the info. Nice-looking cymbals!

Vic Firth makes some like the ones I've got and I'm sure they're better. I just wonder how much better. Right now, I think these will serve my purpose, but I wish they had a little more rebound.

I really don't want a practice pad set, but I don't see why someone can't make something with practice pad technology to go on top of the drumheads. Makes sense to me.
You literally just this minute gave me an idea that I am going test out with my backup Pearl kit. If it works, I'll share.
FYI I like your vintage (Ludwig?) kit. One of my favorite color wraps.

Even if you still have to do the pads, I cannot highly enough recommend the investment in the LV80 Cymbals. Zildjian sells a cymbal pack for less than 300 bucks and you get a set of 14" hats, a 16" crash and an 18" crash/ride. I paid I think 140 bucks for the 20" ride cymbal as a separate item.

I think i now own more cymbals than I do guitar picks. It's crazy. I have a spent almost 1000 bucks over the last couple of months on used K Customs to match the sizes of the LV set. And thats in addition to all the Wuhan's I bought prior and the set of Sabian B8's that came with the Gretsch kit.

Last edited by Johnny K; 12-09-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
You literally just this minute gave me an idea that I am going test out with my backup Pearl kit. If it works, I'll share.
Excellent... I want to hear all about it.

Quote:
I like your vintage (Ludwig?) kit. One of my favorite color wraps.
Thanks! I still like it too. It's the Buddy Rich model Slingerland set in his white marine pearl. I added a bass tom and cut out his 2nd floor tom. Where he had his little splash, I chose an 18" crash. Great set!

My first nice set was a Ludwig back in their heyday... similar to the Slingerland without the 18" crash on the bass drum. My brother inherited it and still has it.

Quote:
Even if you still have to do the pads, I cannot highly enough recommend the investment in the LV80 Cymbals.
Oh yeah, I love Zildjians... outstanding cymbals. I'll have to see if I can find the ones you have. I'd be interested in their sound. Thanks a bunch for the info. Wish I could find somebody who has the Vic Firth silencers. Happy drumming!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:55 PM

I have both some pads like you posted in the picture and the Remo silentstrokes. I've learned to tolerate them on all parts of the kit except the bass. The rebound is far too springy no matter the adjustments I've made.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Wow... the rebound on the bass? I don't think I have that problem with any of mine.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I love Zildjians... outstanding cymbals. I'll have to see if I can find the ones you have. I'd be interested in their sound. Thanks a bunch for the info. Wish I could find somebody who has the Vic Firth silencers. Happy drumming!
I bought mine at Chuck Levin's Washington (D.C.) Music Center. This place is a treasured local institution. Like the original Sam Ash in NYC. But you can get them at Guitar Center.

Those Vic Firth mutes are not much different from what you have.

Silent Stroke heads are the way to go. In fact, check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/Avedis-Zildji...=silent+stroke

Heck of a deal. I paid more collectively. This is about the price of one Zildjian K ride cymbal.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusca View Post
I have both some pads like you posted in the picture and the Remo silentstrokes. I've learned to tolerate them on all parts of the kit except the bass. The rebound is far too springy no matter the adjustments I've made.
I had the same issues. So I took mine off. Good riddance. I put on a P3 and stuffed about 4 pillows in it. Problem solved. As a bonus, it records very well. I get a nice deep low thump with no overtones. When i put the coated pins back on I didn't bother to un-stuff the kick drum. I am of the opinion that it's not really the noise that puts folks off so much as it is the overtones. I have moongels on all my heads.

Last edited by Johnny K; 12-09-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I've tried the pillows and blankets in the past... gives them a great thump, but not dramatically quieter. Thanks Johnny, I'll check out the Silent Strokes.

I've looked on some drum forums, but still not finding much.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I've tried the pillows and blankets in the past... gives them a great thump, but not dramatically quieter. Thanks Johnny, I'll check out the Silent Strokes.

I've looked on some drum forums, but still not finding much.
Hate to say it, and I'm constantly looking on FB Marketplace, E-Drums and headphones are the way to go.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hate to say it, and I'm constantly looking on FB Marketplace, E-Drums and headphones are the way to go.
I know... you're probably right. I looked into E-drums when they first came out, but just couldn't get excited about them. Kinda like the practice pad set.... that would solve a few issues too, but they're just not enough like the real thing.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I know... you're probably right. I looked into E-drums when they first came out, but just couldn't get excited about them. Kinda like the practice pad set.... that would solve a few issues too, but they're just not enough like the real thing.

Kerbie, what did you end up doing?

I think I got myself sorted so I don’t have to do the dreaded edrums.

Today I cleaned up some space and set up my spare Pearl kit and put the the Silent Stroke heads and Zildjian low volume cymbals back on.

I also, finally, set up a spare snare with a DrumTec 3 ply mesh head. I bought it months ago, paid a fortune for it, and never used it. I’m sold. It’s better than the silent stroke. I’m gonna get a 12 and 16 now.

The kick drum is still a real head, but I have it full of pillows, placed a bunch of foam mats in front of the reso heads so the sound has no where to go and put a fuzzy wool beater on the pedal. Now I have to go buy another one.

I am fully wife approved! And I still have my Gretsch kit still available when she’s not home.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Hey Johnny, I ended up sticking with the Silencers. Not the best, but they're acceptable. I've got two nice practice pads. And I do have opportunities when I can play without bothering others, but I think I'd like to protect my hearing. We ain't getting any younger...
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Hey Johnny, I ended up sticking with the Silencers. Not the best, but they're acceptable. I've got two nice practice pads. And I do have opportunities when I can play without bothering others, but I think I'd like to protect my hearing. We ain't getting any younger...
I wear in-ear monitors with sound isolating foam tips. Check these out. They won’t break the bank.

https://youtu.be/UZrrgybRfTM

I’ve boyght a couple sets of these.

You have to buy foams tips separately. Another 10 bucks. I got a set that had 3 pairs, all the same size. About time they were sold this way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic