The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Default I messed up my neck joint - how to fix

I just realized I've built my neck joint (bolt-on) such that the top of the neck is flush with the top of the sides. That means the fingerboard cannot sit on top of the top without a gap between the fingerboard and neck.

My options at the moment are:
- Plane down the sides and the top of the neck block/ tail block the required height. This is difficult as I already have the kerfed lining on and I'm breaking the individual pieces off trying to plane. My neck block and tail block design also present some end grain to that surface, so planing that will be difficult.

- Slot the bolt holes so they can move up the thickness of the top. This would require a complicated router jig at best or a milling machine and many cases of beer to the owner.

- Somehow cut/carve off the neck block and make a new one, shifted up the required height. This one will hurt because I'm very happy with the block I've made, however it seems like the cleanest option.

- Cut a chunk out of the fingerboard to ride flush over the top : this seems like a hack and I would assume it will look ugly (especially with a bound fingerboard)

Any input on these (or other) options? I feel really dumb right now. Not the first or last time on this project, however.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM

I would plug and redrill the bolt holes, rather than slotting them. If you want, glue a thin hardwood strip on the face of the neck block to cover the plugged holes.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 PM

Of course! That makes sense

I've transferred the bolt holes to a jig, and plugged. Tomorrow when they're dry I'll shim the jig the thickness of the top and redrill.

This also means the truss rod sits below flush with the top of the neck, which I was curious about before

Thank you!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:49 AM

And we're back in the game! Mock up went well.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Looks good.

Unless you are planning to finish the surface of the fingerboard, I think you'll find that maple is not a good choice for a fingerboard: it's gets dirty and shows it.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Looks good.

Unless you are planning to finish the surface of the fingerboard, I think you'll find that maple is not a good choice for a fingerboard: it's gets dirty and shows it.
I know, it will have a mineral oil finish and I'm aware of the maintenance and upkeep required as it's not my first maple neck.

I don't really want to put a coat of varnish on it, bit do you think that's the best option?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:03 PM

In my opinion, I'd recommend a darker wood for a fingerboard, of which there are many to choose. A light-coloured fingerboard can have a surface finish - lacquer, varnish, etc. - applied, but it isn't an option I'd choose: it's a "make-maintenance" project - similar to a "make-work" project.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post
I know, it will have a mineral oil finish and I'm aware of the maintenance and upkeep required as it's not my first maple neck.
Since when has mineral oil ever been a "finish" ?
Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
It's the perfect thing to use for slicing vegetables on the fretboard.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
It's the perfect thing to use for slicing vegetables on the fretboard.
Funny, I originally wrote both of those things and edited my post to side-step the issue of mineral oil altogether.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Default A suggestion for fingerboard finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post

I don't really want to put a coat of varnish on it, bit do you think that's the best option?
If you want to use maple as a fingerboard it will need some protection. Unsealed would will pick up oils and dirt from the players fingers which will make for a grubby looking board in a matter of weeks. Other students on my course have used Rubio Monocoat as a finish for both the body and fingerboard. It’s very thin - you usually only one coat is used - and leaves a matt finish. Most importantly it seems very hard wearing and completely seals the wood.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 PM

I will look into Rubio, thank you all for the advice. I did my research early on and decided I wanted to go maple (if only for price). Next build will definitely be something else

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair