The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 PM

Default Afraid I am hooked.

I am FLOUNDERING at my first build. Sanding and scraping saw marks off of two rosewood plates and planing the edges to prep for gluing. Plane, check for light, sand with a true edge, check for light, Plane again.

I am actually enjoying it. Never have I enjoyed something I am so bad at. It even beats golf. I actually became decent at golf. Dont know what the guitar building equivalent to breaking 90 is, or playing an entire round with one ball?
Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 PM

People under estimate the value of self worth, when making something with your hands and mind it can be incredibly rewarding.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-28-2018, 09:55 PM

Oh boy, you're in for it now...

All sorts of interesting challenges to overcome ahead.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 PM

LOL the analogy to golf is very well put.

I was talking to my self when touching up a guitar that I am finishing in French Polish today thinking that certain things like using hand tools or French Polishing and so on are like art and music in of its self. You can have the best music teacher for example or apprentice under the best luthier and no matter what if you are going to be successful you have to make it your own, you have to improvise.

Using a hand plane to join the top is just like that. In the beginning you have to work and work and work until you start to see how it's done through your own lens. Some like to focus on the middle for example, others the ends. Some will shoot the board with one stroke and adjust the pressure based on what they saw on the light table.... And so on...

That's why building guitars is just as much of an art as playing them.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 PM

I still have to work at my plane skills. In the meantime I just use a straightedge and a router to true up the edges. I want to work to the point where I use power tools less.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 PM

Card scraper is my new obsession.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair