The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the in-depth review. The original Pink Floyd Live in Pompei is a favorite of mine, albeit with no audience.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Thanks for the in-depth review. The original Pink Floyd Live in Pompei is a favorite of mine, albeit with no audience.
+1 on both counts.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

On the UK's BBC Two TV on Saturday, November 18th, an hour-long version of David Gilmour Live at Pompeii will air. Click here for more.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Resurrecting a dated thread...just saw these posts. I was fortunate to attend the first of the two nights at Pompeii. Have to say one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. A friend and I had gone to his Radio City Show in April, 2016 - and agreed that if we could get tickets, we’d see him at Pompeii. The venue was amazing - it was a warm July evening, and a crowd of less than 3000. It’s hard to express the electricity in the air just prior to the first notes of 5 am breaking out. I had just arrived earlier that day, so was a bit tired...but immediately woke up when the band kicked in. Really a night to remember. Great review of the DVD - I haven’t got around to watching it yet as I’m concerned it won’t live up to my memories of the event!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
Great review of the DVD - I haven’t got around to watching it yet as I’m concerned it won’t live up to my memories of the event!
Lucky you!!! Thanks! It was beautifully shot and recorded so it shouldn't disappoint.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:48 AM

Nice review Bob.

If there is one thing that me (55) and father (78) bond over , it is the music of Pink Floyd.

He got me into it as a child

We saw them live in 1994 at RFK. 3rd Row from stage.

He lives in Houston now and I flew down last September to go to the Cinema in Houston that was screening it.

Before I arrived I also order a copy of the original Live At Pompeii to be delivered to his house.

The screening was fantastic and the theater had a excellent sound system, but while I enjoyed it immensely, I felt empty by the absence of Echoes.

So later in the same day we popped in the original DVD and watched on my fathers excellent Home Theater set up.

FWIW, I am old enough to have gone to a midnight screening of the original Live at Pompeii at an art house theater back in the early 80's. I have to say I miss theaters screening these things. I've seen quite a few concert films at movie theaters in the late 70's/80's. I guess MTV killed more than the radio star.

I have to admit, I think the original is still the better performance. For me it was all about Echoes and the band itself as a unit.

Much to my selfish embarrassment, I only learned recently the David Gilmore has said in a past interview that he would never perform Echoes with out Richard Wright.

I felt horrible for condemning what I thought was a big miss on the 2017 show.

The 2017 show is still fantastic, but I have not seen it since the the screening, I don't own the DVD, though my father did buy it. He also has Live at Gdansk too (i bought it for him when it came out) and it's a favorite of his. Mine also. I bought myself a copy as well.

I might buy it now. Thanks for the review.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You are welcome. By the way, David Gilmour Live at the royal Albert Hall features a nice rendition of "Echoes" with Richard Wright. It too was nicely shot and recorded.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN