The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Default Lute humidifying

Ok, I picked up a 1950s era lute from Gruhn's a couple of years ago (with non-historical details here and there that were common in that era.)
No case, just a cloth bag.
During the winter months it develops a couple of dryness cracks.

Any suggestions on how to humidify it so I can get those cracks tighter? (I don't believe Dampit has a lute model.)

Guild
'56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '62 F-20, '64 Mark II, '65 SF IV, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVP, '90 Pilot, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird
Acorn House Guitars
Parlor #1, Butternut Deuce, Rounder, Kulakeiki
G&L '93 Legacy
Lute '03 Lyn Elder
Old 12-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Use an electronic humidifer or get a hygromoter and Google "diy humidifier" You don't need a dedicated product for lutes.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Default AcornHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
Ok, I picked up a 1950s era lute from Gruhn's a couple of years ago (with non-historical details here and there that were common in that era.)
No case, just a cloth bag.
During the winter months it develops a couple of dryness cracks.

Any suggestions on how to humidify it so I can get those cracks tighter? (I don't believe Dampit has a lute model.)
Hi strummers and pluckers
and Hi Acorn
You don't say if your Lute is a flat back or bow, however the solution is very is very easy to answer in the short term to protect your lute and for the longer term, the same or slight modification:-
Go to your DIY store and buy a panel of Styrofoam (blue ,orange or white), the orange has a higher density and is better for insulation. Depending on the depth of the panel you might need to glue 2 or 3 together.
Put the Lute on the panels and draw around it, then cut our the shape so the lute sits comfortably. Then use another panel for the lid...... thats Stage 1

Stage 2. If you can't live with an insulated box in your house ! buy some 'hard board ( coloured or not), stick it on ............... that's it.

Best insulated box you can get.
Now, you have a great new year
Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Default Teleman52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Use an electronic humidifer or get a hygromoter and Google "diy humidifier" You don't need a dedicated product for lutes.
Hi strummers and Pluckers
and Hi Tele,

would you be prepared to answer a question I have? ( if you don't , that's ok)

You say no need for a dedicated product for lutes-- what do you mean?
I have never heard of a special product for lutes.
Generally, they are made of the same wood as guitars, generally the depth of the wood is the same and in some cases string tension could be less if playing Medieval Music.
I would be very interested to know the answer.
Have a great New Year
Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM

I find it better to humidify the house and not the instrument. Your house, furniture, cupboards, nose, floors and all your instruments will thank you. It is not expensive to by, cheap to run, lasts a long time and does more good than almost any appliance you will ever own. Just my opinion
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM

I do not know about a old lute.. but care for modern ones are the same as any guitar .. string tension is not a big problem the necks are shorter and more stout than a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments