The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Other People's Forums-Thanks for the manners AGF

Now and then I am reminded that we should not take for granted the civility and general helpfulness of the AGF.

I am in the process of buying a solid body electric and wanted some advice about a specific model of an iconic guitar. I joined the manufacturer sponsored website for that guitar last night and put up a post requesting information. It was the kind of post that all of us around here would recognize.

Within a few minutes I received three sarcastic and flaming responses. One guy who obviously knew less about the guitar than I did essentially told me that the guitar was not worth the price and that I was wasting space on the forum by asking questions. According to his signature, this guy is one of those thousand posts a year guy on their forum.

The second response posted information about a similar but different guitar that the poster "was able to find in about five seconds"- why couldn't I? The third poster simply dismissed my question saying that I had a bad case of
G.A.S.

I never did receive the kind of helpful reply that is almost instantaneous around here.

Thanks very much to our moderators here who keep things polite and to our members who are almost without exception helpful and friendly.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 PM

I totally agree. On this site you can ask the same question that's been asked several times and the experienced ones will so graciously answer them just as if the question was raised for the first time. Number of posts are not mentioned much on here. Each person is treated with full respect.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:55 AM

I agree too. This forum is one of the nicest I know and I like to come here. This is a rare situation in the forum world unfortunately.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 AM

This is a great thread topic and I appreciate you posting it. The folks on these forums are some of the best around and I've always been impressed and grateful for everyone's civility, manners, and helpfulness.

BTW, I'm not an electric guitar expert but I do have quite a few and have played one for a long time. If I can be of assistance to you feel free to PM me.

Y'all have a good day...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
Now and then I am reminded that we should not take for granted the civility and general helpfulness of the AGF.

I am in the process of buying a solid body electric and wanted some advice about a specific model of an iconic guitar. I joined the manufacturer sponsored website for that guitar last night and put up a post requesting information. It was the kind of post that all of us around here would recognize.

Within a few minutes I received three sarcastic and flaming responses. One guy who obviously knew less about the guitar than I did essentially told me that the guitar was not worth the price and that I was wasting space on the forum by asking questions. According to his signature, this guy is one of those thousand posts a year guy on their forum.

The second response posted information about a similar but different guitar that the poster "was able to find in about five seconds"- why couldn't I? The third poster simply dismissed my question saying that I had a bad case of
G.A.S.

I never did receive the kind of helpful reply that is almost instantaneous around here.

Thanks very much to our moderators here who keep things polite and to our members who are almost without exception helpful and friendly.
I'm pretty sure about the guitar forum that you're talking about. And I feel for you...
While I do recommend this forum, I'd also recommend the Telecaster Discussion Page: http://www.tdpri.com/
Of course they're passionate about Telecasters, but they're happy to talk about other electric guitars...with respect.
Come check it out.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM

I agree, too.
The mods do a great job of keeping things civil
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thanks, folks. I really appreciate that.

J.R. Rogers
AGF Owner and Founder
Old 08-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tochiro View Post
I agree too. This forum is one of the nicest I know and I like to come here. This is a rare situation in the forum world unfortunately.
Plus 1, I haven't been part of the AGF for a that long, but everyone here seems to be very patient and helpful with their comments.

Thanks to all!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Yep, this forum is different from many (most?). If you want to get beat up politely , try the double bass side of Talkbass ... lots of knowledgeable people there, but some are pretty full of themselves and their conservatory training.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Yup, pretty nice crowd generally, although you'll get the occasional smart-aleck, like any big forum....

What I like esp. about AGF is it's not a one-brand premise, and there are a good mix of makes represented in the community. So you don't get that smarmy snobby attitude that prevails when everyone has exclusive allegiance to The Make.

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrubin View Post
Yup, pretty nice crowd generally, although you'll get the occasional smart-aleck, like any big forum....

What I like esp. about AGF is it's not a one-brand premise, and there are a good mix of makes represented in the community. So you don't get that smarmy snobby attitude that prevails when everyone has exclusive allegiance to The Make.
One could justifiably call this place The Eclectic Acoustic Guitar Forum!
Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I'm pretty sure about the guitar forum that you're talking about. And I feel for you...
While I do recommend this forum, I'd also recommend the Telecaster Discussion Page: http://www.tdpri.com/
Of course they're passionate about Telecasters, but they're happy to talk about other electric guitars...with respect.
Come check it out.
I agree, the TDPRI forum is also a great place to get info and help. As far as the AGF goes, with all the questions I bombard this forum with, I'm surprised I'm still welcome. At least I think I'm still welcome.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm another AGF member who plays electric guitar. If I can be of any help concerning an electric guitar question, shoot me a PM.
And thanks to the AGF for being what it is---a great place for guitar players!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 AM

One of the "curses" of this place is that I get comfortable and start to consider web civility normal--until I go somewhere else and am reminded how nasty some people can get on message boards.

Should have said this before, but thanks to everyone here for being such good community members!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote - Sombras said: "One of the "curses" of this place is that I get comfortable and start to consider web civility normal--until I go somewhere else and am reminded how nasty some people can get on message boards."

Sad but true. I think the problem there is that people like that have some other issues; and wouldn't have the guts to say to your face what they say to you via a keyboard. So they hide behind the computer.

Thanks from here also to the moderators for making this a nice place to visit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification