The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Default How many people here own a US Richie Sambora strat? How is....

Like the title states how many of you here own a Sambora USA strat? How is the neck shape? Which version you prefer the most, the one with the 25db boost and large star inlays or the newer model which had a 12db boost and small star inlays?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

bumppp bumppp
Old 08-27-2010, 02:05 AM

I have a pal who has one of the old ones because he plays in a bonjovi tribute band.

I've personally never bought into the signature model idea as I'd mod it away from the extra $XXX spend withing days anyway
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
I have a pal who has one of the old ones because he plays in a bonjovi tribute band.

I've personally never bought into the signature model idea as I'd mod it away from the extra $XXX spend withing days anyway
I'm with you. Although a cool idea, buying a signature model at elevated prices is something I've never seriously considered. Just spend some time on craigslist looking at the adds of sellers hoping to recoup some of the $$ they (over)spent on a guitar for which few others would do likewise.

Having said that, however, IF the instrument has the exact neck, pup's, woods, fretboard...and it would be cheaper to buy than having one made custom, then there's likely value in it. Especially if it's a guitar that you really want and will keep and play. Otherwise, taking the coolness factor out of the equation , you can buy a standard USA strat with the neck you like and juice it up with pups, etc to your liking for a whole lot less.

Lastly, next to the guy that buys a MIM strat and dumps $600 worth of upgrades into it then expects others to overpay for his foolishness, is the guy who (over)pays for a sig model and expects everyone to line up and overpay for the privilege of buying his "prize"...then gets' angry when people won't. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Just think about your options. And at the end of the day, if the sig is your axe, buy it, play it, enjoy it, and love every minute of it.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbf View Post
I'm with you. Although a cool idea, buying a signature model at elevated prices is something I've never seriously considered. Just spend some time on craigslist looking at the adds of sellers hoping to recoup some of the $$ they (over)spent on a guitar for which few others would do likewise.

Having said that, however, IF the instrument has the exact neck, pup's, woods, fretboard...and it would be cheaper to buy than having one made custom, then there's likely value in it. Especially if it's a guitar that you really want and will keep and play. Otherwise, taking the coolness factor out of the equation , you can buy a standard USA strat with the neck you like and juice it up with pups, etc to your liking for a whole lot less.

Lastly, next to the guy that buys a MIM strat and dumps $600 worth of upgrades into it then expects others to overpay for his foolishness, is the guy who (over)pays for a sig model and expects everyone to line up and overpay for the privilege of buying his "prize"...then gets' angry when people won't. I'm not trying to rain on your parade. Just think about your options. And at the end of the day, if the sig is your axe, buy it, play it, enjoy it, and love every minute of it.
Very good points! I do like the model though, love the cherryburst finish which fender didn't use on many models, love the electronics on the sambora models whether its version 1 or version 2, and looooove the inlays on the maple neck

I really would prefer just to buy th neck and build my own custom or buy a beater sambora so i don't have to worry about playing it live and leaving dents in the finish and such. Heck with a beater guitar I could take parts from it and transfer it to my custom strat body I have waiting for a Sambora neck.

Thanks for the ideas though! I do appreciate input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification