The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Setting up home studio... Any advice??

So for a few years now it's been a huge interest of mine and I've picked up bits and pieces of it throughout the years, but haven't put together the big picture quite yet (mostly because I never took the time to learn how). Now that I decided to take a year off college to work and figure things out I have a lot more time to work on writing and recording.

I did buy a Samson C01U USB condenser mic years ago but it's since been lost and it was never good quality at all since its just a USB mic.

Right now I have:
  • an M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface
  • a Macbook Air laptop
  • a MIDI keyboard

Is there anything else I'll need? I think all that's left is a DAW software (please give me some recommendations, I've worked with tons but never properly learned how to create music with any of them) and a mic of course.

As far as the microphone goes, I want something inexpensive but very clear and records acoustic guitar and vocals well. Currently thinking about the Shure SM-57?

Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 PM

One of the Audio technica 40 series or shure KSM mics can do both guitar and vocals. Plenty of usable mics for acoustic guitar like oktava mk-012 or ADK A6 however mics are usually a bit more picky with vocals. That part is usually trial and error. The sm57 wouldn't be my choice and your fast track might struggle for gain. There are lots of choices and many guys here have settled for what works for them. I have a gefell M300 for guitar and a modded CAD mic for vocals.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yes, as a professional recording engineer I have advice: Make your studio comfortable. Make it inspiring. Make it reflect your personality. After all the bucks are dumped into professional studios, the biggest challenges tend to be making the space homey and comfortable.

Keep the controls where you can reach them with a guitar in your lap.

That is all.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
.......As far as the microphone goes, I want something inexpensive but very clear and records acoustic guitar and vocals well. Currently thinking about the Shure SM-57?...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorbit View Post
One of the Audio technica 40 series or shure KSM mics can do both guitar and vocals. Plenty of usable mics for acoustic guitar like oktava mk-012 or ADK A6 however mics are usually a bit more picky with vocals. .......
You will most likely get the best feedback if you give us a range for your mic budget. You will most likely also be encouraged to think about stereo recording for your guitar, but it really boils down to what you are using the recordings for and what your expectations are for quality level of those recordings.

I have an Oktava MC-012 (for sale in the classifieds) as well as a pair of ADK A6's for recording guitar. Both very nice mics. I don't have experience in recording vocals; I've read mixed reviews on using the A6 for vocals. I just recently got a used pair of 3 Zigma mics; they have interchangable capsules but are higher priced than the Oktava or A6.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Software: I recommend Reaper, free to download and try out the full version, $60 to register it. Has all the professional features of a DAW that anyone could want. 400+ page manual, extensive help forums.

Microphone: the SM57 is a workhorse, but as a dynamic mic it's adequate, at best, for acoustic guitar and vocals.
What's your budget? I'd recommend a condensor, like an AT or AKG Perception, many possible choices depending on your budget.

You are also going to need some studio monitors for mixing/playback, closed-back headphones for tracking to previoulsy-recorded tracks, mic stand and cables and pop filter.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM

Well ideally I want a good mic I'd be able to find used online for under $100 that would work with my M-audio interface. As far as the monitors go--are those always necessary? I really just want the basics that are necessary for high quality home recordings
Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Shame you didn't mention what type of music you plan on recording but I'd defo recommend looking at Presonus Studio One as an option for your DAW.

It's great value for money, really intuitive to use, coded recently (so it utilizes multi core computers fully) and has a great workflow to it. It's also amazingly stable, which can't often be said for a lot of other DAW's. It's never crashed on me.

I used to use Cubase and although it had a lot of really powerful features it wasn't very intuitive to use, and would sometimes crash mid session.

What type of music you plan on doing should be a major consideration though as some DAW's have better features that are geared up for certain types of music.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
Shame you didn't mention what type of music you plan on recording but I'd defo recommend looking at Presonus Studio One as an option for your DAW.

It's great value for money, really intuitive to use, coded recently (so it utilizes multi core computers fully) and has a great workflow to it. It's also amazingly stable, which can't often be said for a lot of other DAW's. It's never crashed on me.

I used to use Cubase and although it had a lot of really powerful features it wasn't very intuitive to use, and would sometimes crash mid session.

What type of music you plan on doing should be a major consideration though as some DAW's have better features that are geared up for certain types of music.
I plan on recording mostly just really mellow folky kind of music so wouldnt need anything too advanced but would use some virtual instruments and things like that just to play around with and use what I like on top of guitar
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Just get Reaper. Cheap and does the job. As for mics, you're probably going to be limited to some of the cheaper Chinese condensers from mxl or cad (m179 gets good reviews) with your budget. I've never liked the sound of the cheaper condensers because of the shrill highs. I'd actually prefer the sm57 over them.

Last edited by Shorbit; 07-18-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM

As long as the mic is an XLR and not a USB and is clear/has no background noise and works with my M-audio fast track pro, that's all I care about. My Samson c01u had background hiss about just as loud as the recording itself and I think it's because it was a USB mic. I'm still learning how to use my FTP interface, don't you have to download a driver for it or something? And what is Phantom power? (I looked and my interface has a phantom power off/on switch, not sure what it's for)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-v View Post
As long as the mic is an XLR and not a USB and is clear/has no background noise and works with my M-audio fast track pro, that's all I care about. My Samson c01u had background hiss about just as loud as the recording itself and I think it's because it was a USB mic. I'm still learning how to use my FTP interface, don't you have to download a driver for it or something? And what is Phantom power? (I looked and my interface has a phantom power off/on switch, not sure what it's for)
Condenser mic's both small and large diaphragm (SDC and LDC) require phantom power to run. When the switch is on power is being run through the mic cable.
Dynamic mic's do not require this.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM

My suggestions are here:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html

Monitors? Of course! You can't judge what is "good" recording technique or resultant quality if you can't hear what you've recorded accurately. You can get by with a GOOD pair of headphones to use (they will also serve as an appropriate way for you to hear while doing overdubs), but accurate monitors would be preferable to do your final mixes with.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:52 AM

Lots of basic info in Rudy's link, do lots of reading before buying ANY gear at this stage (it'll save you from things like having a USB mic that you don't like and can't resell).
Looks for used mic deals if you are trying to keep under $100, but beware that there are a lot of Shure SM57/58 counterfeits out there, so only buy one from a legitimate dealer.
For new: AKG Perception 120 and Audio Technica AT2020 are good $99 choices.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD