The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Default Blue Snowball USB Microphone - Recording acoustic guitar

I am interested in trying some recording. I don't want to break the bank over it just yet, but would like a decent microphone to have some fun with. I found the Blue Snowball USB Microphone on MF, and it seems to have great reviews and is a great price at $57. Has anybody tried using this to record your acoustic guitar? Are there any other better options under $100?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM

I would avoid USB mics. Yes, they are more convenient but less flexible. Having a dedicated interface and mic helps a lot, but it is a bit more expensive. You can use them to switch mics, record with multiple mics at the same time, record mic + pickup at the same time...and having separate units allows you to upgrade them separately if needed. If you want simple recordings, portable recorders with built in mics may be OK, like tascam or zoom.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I have a Blue Yeti at work. It is very convenient, and I like the adjustable gain control - allows you to have a perfect recording very easily and quickly. I use Audacity (free) and the sound quality is as good as my high-quality headphones can discern.

Yes, if you decide to get more 'into' recording, you will eventually get into a costlier solution, but given the price I'd highly recommend a Blue for the beginner.

Steve
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
I would avoid USB mics. Yes, they are more convenient but less flexible. Having a dedicated interface and mic helps a lot, but it is a bit more expensive. You can use them to switch mics, record with multiple mics at the same time, record mic + pickup at the same time...and having separate units allows you to upgrade them separately if needed. If you want simple recordings, portable recorders with built in mics may be OK, like tascam or zoom.
I had this sort of setup, using two KM184s, stands for these, a mic-pre, Duet interface, into Logic.

Bottom line, it was a PITA to set up and not at all conducive to spontaneous recording. Further, I never felt I had the recording skills necessary to get the max from this sort of setup.

I now use an Apogee Mic into an iPad. That's it. I'm far happier and I think my recordings are better for it. I can concentrate more on the playing than all of the kit. YMMV.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM

If you are just trying your hand at recording, the Snowball will give you an idea if you want to pursue it further, but won't do you much good in the long run (it'll go to the back of the closet).
Don't forget you'll need a mic stand, and headphones (to monitor previously recorded tracks when you overtrack).
And don't be too discouraged if the sound is not what you expected. A starting budget 20X the Snowball will get you a couple of good mics, an interface, studio monitors and a little acoustic room treatment.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I had this sort of setup, using two KM184s, stands for these, a mic-pre, Duet interface, into Logic.

Bottom line, it was a PITA to set up and not at all conducive to spontaneous recording. Further, I never felt I had the recording skills necessary to get the max from this sort of setup.

I now use an Apogee Mic into an iPad. That's it. I'm far happier and I think my recordings are better for it. I can concentrate more on the playing than all of the kit. YMMV.

Cheers,
Steve
I agree. I use the apogee MIC right into my iPad. I just recorded a stephen stills song this evening like that. A little reverb, and bang. It's in the performances section.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe26 View Post
I am interested in trying some recording. I don't want to break the bank over it just yet, but would like a decent microphone to have some fun with. I found the Blue Snowball USB Microphone on MF, and it seems to have great reviews and is a great price at $57. Has anybody tried using this to record your acoustic guitar? Are there any other better options under $100?

Thanks in advance for your help!
At $103 with free shipping from Amazon.com, I'd still vote for the Blue Yeti. It has a nice solid stand, which works really well instead of a mic stand if you have a table or desk nearby. I really like the adjustable gain control, which the Snowball does not have - it makes setting the recording levels easy-peasy.

Steve
Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 AM

I have a Snowball and I have recorded acoustic with it. It is fine for recording ideas, but I have heard much better recordings from the Apogee MiC (comparing USB mic to USB mic).
Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 PM

I had a little bit of time this weekend so I pulled out the old Snowball and did a quick recording. Here's a raw sample:

http://treative.com/agf/snowballTestRaw.mp3

I thought this would help you get an idea about how the Blue Snowball microphone sounds. The guitar is one that I built.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD