The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Treatment Info

Aloha Tricky Fish,

For recording acoustic guitar, I actually prefer to track on wooden floors that are uncarpeted - as long as the room itself has been treated. In fact, I'd recommend putting a hinged 1/4" plywood panel OVER existing carpeting for tracking an acoustic guitar.

Ya don't have to guess at all as to the "problem early reflection frequencies" in your room. Nor must you spend much money for effective DIY broadband absorbers or bass traps. Nor does DIY room treatment need to be permanent (portable would be great for your study, Tricky). You need room treatment so you' re not fighting the room's reflections as you mix your tracks.

Start by putting an SPL (sound pressure level) meter (borrow one or buy - the Pyle brand is a good one from Radio Shack or even some cellphone apps provide this) on your space to ID the issues. That'll tell you where to put (or where not to put) sound treatment. It's the correct balance you're after, right? The meter takes all the guess work out.

Here are some clues RE Room Treatment:

First, two great DIY Room Treatment videos from Fran Guidry:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

Now for answers to the "Why's" of Room Treatment: Ethan Winer's Bible on Room Treatment.

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

I made 22 of Fran's absorber's that provide all the treatment I'd ever need. I don't frame them out (hard frame surfaces only defeat the purpose of the absorbers) & they are free-standing. I store them when I don't use them. You could use 4-6 panels & get what you need & put up in a closet or corner or stairwell when not in use, Tricky. I never use carpeting where I track.

So no, rugs only help control a few mid-range freq's. What you want is to get away from a muddy mid-range sound towards a fully-defined, balanced frequency spectrum with clarity & separation in your space for recording. That's the best way to control your recordings, especially on acoustic guitar w/ its complex overtone structures, Tricky. Rugs? Not really.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 07-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM

Ethan's site is a great source of information, alhtough much gets VERY techincal!
I built six 4" thick traps, used 2 as a ceiling cloud and immediately noticed the difference in my 'everything' room. I knew I had bass issues from comments from a mastering engineer and because when I moved aorund in the room during playback I could hear certain frequenceis in certain places jump out at me.
I just added two small 'superchunks' in two upper corners yesterday, and have two more 3" traps to build which will become my ceiling cloud, then those two 4" traps will be on my back wall/over the windows.
Building traps is pretty easy - only tools needed are a saw, screw gun, and staple gun.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Although many prefer no rugs - I am strongly in the yes rugs camp - with a generous amount of broadband absorbers as well. Not wall to wall carpet - but 50 to 70% coverage is actually my preference.

In most smaller home rooms there is clear slap between floors and ceilings. These early reflections if pleasant are great. If not - there will be no way to get rid of them. I have never "heard" a small room that I though sounded good without all slap echoes damped out. But many very experienced folk have weighed in the other way - so - YM will most certainly vary.

My 9' X 7.5' X 20' recording room has two large rugs and 21 broadband 2X4 (2" and 4") panels. It sounds OK now... (room is underground and has lowest background SPL)
Mixing room is much larger - 13' X 7.5' X 24' - two large rugs 22 broadband and 4 corner traps. It is livelier and also sounds good.

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 07-16-2014 at 12:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD