The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Do I need to replace the nut?

Hi all,

About a month ago my Yamaha FG700S was in a guitar stand and got knocked over. Looks like it hit the tile floor at the nut, by the high 'e' string because the nut's chipped.

I have noticed that when I strum chords with an open 'e' string, it will ocaccionally buzz.

I found a 'check' on this site where one places a capo at the first fret and a quarter should just clear the stings at the 12th fret, and the coin touches both the B and e strings.

So besides the nut being chipped, I think it also pushed it into the neck/headstock.

I'm a beginner so its not like I need the instrument for recording or anything...

Any opinions are welcome.

I took a photo but I can't post attachments.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Posting photos is a PITA on this site, my only complaint. If you measure from the bottom of the string to the fretboard at the nut on both E strings you'll have a better idea of what is happening there, as far as string height at 12th fret you are measuring relief. If the nut is chipped from the edge to the slot I would replace it.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Using flat automotive feeler gages, I measure 0.038 inch clearance at the e string, but 0.052 inch clearance at the E string, a difference of 0.014 inch.

Sounds like it needs replacing...

Tony
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM

pictures are easy:

1) sign-up and upload a picture to a "free storage" site: flickr, picusa, imageshack, etc...
2) grab linking code generated from free site.
3) paste linking code into your post.

some smart phones will link to a site of your choice. like with my andriod phone i can "share" with my flickr account with one poke of a button.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM

You need more clearance on the lower strings do to the way they vibrate. Can you find the specs on this guitar?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM

I (and likely others) have posted a method for checking nut slot depth several times. Here is a link to one of the earlier threads with one of my posts explaining this process.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288602

Incidentally, whenever you buy a new guitar, you should always check the nut slots and insist that the vendor have them adjusted properly before purchase. The nut slots on most (including guitars up to 2000 dollars and more) are rarely cut down to the proper depth, since to do a careful and accurate job of this requires about 25 minutes or so by a skilled craftsman. To add this extra time to the production line would require guitar manufacturers to charge more money for their guitars, making them less competitive on the market. Hence, manufacturers choose to drop in nuts made in bulk that are higher than the required minimum nut slot height.

Good luck with assessing and rectifying your issue.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair