The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Not really an audiophile but I did take some care when putting my system together a few years ago. Rotel preamp, Sunfire amp powering these Dunlavy speakers that were made in Colorado Springs. When we downsized (home, not speakers obviously ) I wasn't happy with the sound in this room and added a Klipsch subwoofer.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-03-2016, 10:04 AM

This past December, I decided to buy my first "real" stereo of my entire life. I had never owned a stereo before then, and man, have I been missing out!

Before I get into the specs, the only thing I'd like to change out is my receiver. While it sounds amazing, the L/R fader is scratchy and sometimes one side goes out a little and isn't as loud as the other side. I opened up the front and top and tried to spray contact cleaner, but everything's so sealed up, it's pretty much impossible to get to. I did the best I could, and while it works better than it did, it'll still act up every once in a while. Otherwise, it's an amazing system. My record collection is starting to look somewhat respectable.

Below are not actual pictures of my equipment (except for the last picture), but these are the same make/model of the things I bought.

Pioneer speakers circa 1974 (CS-701A)

Onkyo R1-7530 receiver WITH ORIGINAL WORKING REMOTE!

Yamaha P-220 turntable (circa 1987). My turntable was only $25, so I spent much more on the cartridge. Worth. Every. Penny. This is a great turntable: adjustable weighted tone arm, anit-skate, a really heavy-duty platter, rubber slip mat, and now it has an amazing cartridge.

Here's what it all looks like in my basement (I didn't have the turntable hooked up yet). It couldn't fit any better than it does. It sounds so good, I've had two friends buy a turntable and a third one is in the market.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM

Those remind me of the Sansui SP-3500s that I have hooked up to the turntable in my bedroom
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I still have most of my system from 1981. The Pioneer receiver bit the dust, had it repaired once but when one channel went again I started over with a Kenwood. I still have my pioneer equalizer, processor, and sansui reverb. My cassette deck gave out as well and it is replaced with a pioneer CD deck. I gave all of my albums (over 300) to a friend in Kentucky who was an avid vinyl collector when I went to CD's. I was tired of moving them all over the world. (big mistake but I know they are being taken care of)

I don't have all of the nomenclatures for my equipment with me right now. I sold off my old 777 and 888 Kenwood speakers and bought a pair of Bose acoustimas speakers paired with a pioneer sub.

I have another system in the sun room similar to this one and my Bose wave radio sits in the garage. I have a denon system in my camper. The system I had in my media room (wife boxed it up for some unknown reason) is sitting in boxes in the basement.

So yeah, I have more stereo equipment than I need.

The joke in my family when someone enters a room is "where is the stereo"

I don't recall the nomenclature for my old pioneer turn table but the arm moved on rails straight across the album instead of angled, if that makes sense. back in 1981 I think it cost like 400 bucks by itself. In the military you can get real high end equipment, that is not sold in the US because of the high cost, in other countries through the PX system. I was told by a Pioneer rep back in the eighties the line I have was built specifically for that market and was one of the highest end systems of it's time. True? I have no idea, but it sounded cool.

Last edited by SFCRetired; 05-03-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Those remind me of the Sansui SP-3500s that I have hooked up to the turntable in my bedroom
Yup I agree..........mine very similar
Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

"Audiophile" is a word that carries so much baggage of snobbery that I sometimes hesitate to identify myself with that word. However, I love good music, I love good recordings, and I love to hear good music and recordings on good equipment enough to have gone into recording engineering and production as my vocation. Because of this, I spend a large portion of my life sitting in front of a $10,000 monitor system in a $100,000 architecturally designed recording control room. When I go home, I confess that the last thing on earth I want to do is listen on a crappy system. I dreamed for years of a particular listening system I wanted for home but it would take a miracle...

But a few years ago, through the combination of two circumstances (a lightning strike on my home that destroyed virtually every piece of consumer electronics in the house and stumbling across a pair of the very recording monitors I wanted in excellent condition, really just broken in, at literal fire sale prices) I now have my dream system. The receiver is a nice Denon and the speakers are Urei 811Cs, the little brothers of the speakers in my control room. They were built right after JBL took over UREI and improved their designs. Each speaker has a 15" woofer with a coaxial, time-aligned tweeter horn.

Because they are really designed to be soffit mounted in a control room (and aren't), each one is stacked on top of a Sony subwoofer. It helps that I have an extraordinarily tolerant wife with those beasts in the living room. It also helps that they sound marvelous, and that I integrated them into a home theater system to allow her to see movies even though she is chronically ill and can't go to movies at the theater. They live in a great room that is 30'x15'x18', so they can develop some really, um, reasonable bass.

So, I consider myself lucky to be able to go home to a system that really sounds as nice as the one at work. The tweeters on these are one revision beyond the ones at work and sound a bit nicer and I've tweaked the crossovers so that they sound pretty, rather than simply accurate.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 AM

I guess I sort of qualify: Naim Audio Supernait integrated amp, Rega Apollo CD player, Dune HD hard disk music server, Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 floorstanding speakers and REL subwoofer. Speaker cable is Naim's NACA. The REL sits on a Subdude II aurelex pad and the speakers on Fisual feet -- made necessary because of the peculiar resonances associated with ancient Italian masonry construction (the building is 500 years old).

I'm lucky enough to have a huge listening area -- about 650 square feet -- with 13 foot ceilings. With my current system, I am (audiophilically speaking) a happy camper.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:25 AM

Being a "gearhead" expands to meet disposable income. I learned a serious life lesson from an uncle of mine who had to declare bankruptcy twice while he kept his state-of-the-art stereo system updated every two years.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
"Audiophile" is a word that carries so much baggage of snobbery that I sometimes hesitate to identify myself with that word. However, I love good music, I love good recordings, and I love to hear good music and recordings on good equipment ...
I'm with you here.

When I was looking around at stereos, I found it really difficult to research due to the snobbery out there. I found that actually talking to real people about stereos was a lot better than searching online. I think the only thing I took from everything I read was to never buy one of those Crosley turntables (which was helpful), but still, it's a little difficult to navigate.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
"Audiophile" is a word that carries so much baggage of snobbery that I sometimes hesitate to identify myself with that word. However, I love good music, I love good recordings, and I love to hear good music and recordings on good equipment Bob
Sums it up nicely

As in all other electronics there are many reasonable good value alternatives to the highest priced "state of the art" type equipment, that certainly can be as good as gets, but also can carry the snobbery for the mere sake of ownership and 'Look what I have" mentality.

Back when I was selling Hi Fi I still could only afford the reasonable alternatives like NAD integrated amp and the smaller Magna Pan spk's. Thorens turntable, and Nak 1000 cassette deck.

Nowadays I have my studio system with Avid Omni interface and converters and Amphion Amp 100 and One 18 monitors.

And I have a home theater type system with and NAD T747 receiver and SVS 7.1 surround speaker system.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm with you here.

When I was looking around at stereos, I found it really difficult to research due to the snobbery out there. I found that actually talking to real people about stereos was a lot better than searching online. I think the only thing I took from everything I read was to never buy one of those Crosley turntables (which was helpful), but still, it's a little difficult to navigate.
Both snobbery and notions not based on scientific evidence are a problem for anyone seeking advice on stereo systems.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Some of the components, particularly speakers, demonstrated at RMAF or AXPONA are like Bugattis. European, exceedingly rare, unlimited volume, and a budget that would make NASA blink.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
So Far, Matthewpatrick is the the king of audiophiles
"O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad taste in music." --Bill Rattlesword.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM

Not an audiophile, in fact I didn't even know what that meant not so long ago... but I appreciate nice sounding equipment.

One time I was in the market for headphones and found a forum that was for headphones. I didn't realize it was a audiophile specific forum. I asked some questions on what headphones I should buy , between the few I had narrowed it down to. Heh.... I pretty much got "run out of town".. guess they didn't like what I picked out for myself, lol. That is when I learned what being an audiophile meant... probably not the nicest way to be introduced to that culture, lol

PS,
Just took a look and I still had the page bookmarked. This was the site:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM

Don't think this counts, but it sounds tremendous at most of the listening dynamic range: I have a Yamaha receiver that gives 80 watts a side RMS, a Yamaha 5 disc carousel CD player, Yamaha dual well cassette deck with Dolby B/C. A pair of lightly used 1979 JBL 4311 control monitors.

2019 Applegate SJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN