The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-08-2014, 07:23 AM

Default ZOOM H2n or H4???

Hey there and thanks for checking out my post. I'm interested in buying the above recording devices and have a couple questions for those who have used them.

I'm just looking for something i can use to record some of my song ideas. I do tab most of my music but would like to record my sessions as well.

I do use standard condenser mics and audio interface but i do not have a ton of space to keep this set up all the time.

question 1
Is the recording quality good for solo acoustic guitar?
question 2
Can i do a final mix on the recording saved to the sd card?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceltia63 View Post
...[snip]....I do use standard condenser mics and audio interface but i do not have a ton of space to keep this set up all the time.

question 1
question 2

Thanks
I used to use the Zoom H4 quite a bit. I have a little familiarity with the H2n but can't answer your questions for it.

1) The H4 is quite nice for recording acoustic guitar, but its internal mics are limited to X-Y pattern. Also, while it can do 24 bit recording its internal noise floor limits useful resolution to probably 16-18 bits (which under many/most simple applications is just fine).
2) If you set up the H4 for 4 channel recording you can do simple mixing of the channels with it (panning, levels, etc). However, the user interface is very cumbersome. I rarely used the built in mixer; instead I copied the files over to computer DAW for mixing.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-08-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fceltia63 View Post
question 1
I have the H2n. Yes, you can get VERY nice recordings of acoustic instruments. It even will let you do mid-side mic'ing (has FIVE mic capsules!) just by moving the selector switch. There are nice features such as compression, limiting, auto gain control and more. Learn how to use them and you'll find getting a good recording in almost any situation is easy-peasy. I've set it up three feet in front of 15" PA speakers and gotten quite decent live recordings.

Quote:
question 2
The H2n is a single track, so no mixing. But if you mean move it to a DAW for post tracking EQ, compression, etc ... then yes. You'll have a dozen or more digital resolutions and formats to choose from when you record. Choose WAV at a high bit rate for best audio results. I use mine for recording our acoustic band's rehearsals ... set up on mic stand in the center of our circle I have it set on omni (four capsules) and it mixes internally to stereo. Nice. I record MP3 at 256K, and get HOURS of recordings on a 2gb card. The H4n is a better choice if you want to use external mics, but the sound quality is no better than the H2n.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

You might also consider the H6. It costs more, but it's a big step up. Much better user interface, much faster on things like startup and disk formatting (major annoyances to me with the H4n). Plus up to 6 inputs, and a nice variety of attachable mics.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Or the new H5, only four channels but a lower price tag and with similar features as the H6.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Hey folks thanks for the input! I respect all the opinions and will let you know how I make out and which one I choose. Thank again.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Well I picked up the H4n yesterday. Pretty easy to learn how to use it. I can hear myself breathing when recording an acoustic solo and I like the fact that it is an independant unit as well as being able to run it through my computer and software. I will post some recorfings when i get a day off work! Thanks for the input.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 PM

My original Zoom H2 was borrowed by a friend of my daughter for recording a concert and now appears to have disappeared into some sort of baroque musicians' Bermuda triangle.

I was thinking of a replacement, and have seen Fran's accounts of using the H6.

Does the H5 provide phantom power to external mics, and would it be an effective replacement for the H2, while cheaper than the H6?

I used to use the H2 for 'sketches', when I was trying out new pieces or working on a difficult passage, and didn't want to go down to the recording room and fire everything up for a proper recording session. I thought the ability to add external mics to a replacement device would be useful for recording with a little more quality when out of the house.

Kym
Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Yes, phantom power. Yes, effective replacement for H2 while cheaper than H6. And more flexible and marginally better quality (lower self-noise) than the H2n.

Also much better battery life than the H2, H4, H4n. But not better than the H2n.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD