The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Recording a Live Amp

Hey Everyone!

So before I get into it, I'd like to first mention that I'm familiar with studio recording, and I have a pretty extensive home studio, so this is just sort of a side project, to see if I can get the sound I'd like to try to get.

I have an Acoustic performer amp that I absolutely adore - Guitar and vocals sound fabulous through it. Lately, I've been messing with the effects on the amp, which are fairly extensive for a little thing, and I discovered I get the most beautiful sound when I put on a rich concert hall reverb to both the vocals and guitar, and then play with a twelve string guitar. It has that live/electric sound that you just can't get if you mic a guitar normally. I think the best way to describe the sound is that it's the same sort of sound you'd hear off the first half of 'Rust Never Sleeps' (See video)

I was wondering what the best way would be to record the sound I'm getting from the amp. It must be doable, because acoustic guitars are often recorded when plugged in for live records. The amp has a line out, so I suppose I could send the line out into my mixer or my audio interface. When I did that, the recordings didn't sound quite as nice, the bass felt much heavier than what I was hearing from the amp.

How would you go about recording in this style? Line the amp out to an interface or mixer and then EQ the sound to normalize it? Or could you even just mic the amp itself?

Thanks for any help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD