The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM

Default more specific simple recording advice.

i've read other threads on this topic, but would really appreciate if someone would be so kind as to provide more specific advice.

Purpose: to record backing tracks to play while developing lead lines and to hear in another way what the guitar sounds like. $$ is an issue.

Q1. i have a Tascam DR-08. From what I read this is probably sufficient for my immediate simple needs. Right?

Q2. I need a mike for sound hole recording right? It seems the little built in mikes are insufficient. Guitar is Taylor 712ce, but i don't want to record it amplified.

Q3. Which mike? Simple guitar at this point. No voice yet.

Q4. Do I need a stand for the mike?

Q5. Besides headphones, what should I play it through? Want simple, but good quality sound reproduction.

Probably go to Guitar Center here. No other decent music stores in this small town. If they don't have what you recommend will go online.

thanks so much in advance for your advice

Rick

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
i've read other threads on this topic, but would really appreciate if someone would be so kind as to provide more specific advice.

Purpose: to record backing tracks to play while developing lead lines and to hear in another way what the guitar sounds like. $$ is an issue.

Q1. i have a Tascam DR-08. From what I read this is probably sufficient for my immediate simple needs. Right?

Q2. I need a mike for sound hole recording right? It seems the little built in mikes are insufficient. Guitar is Taylor 712ce, but i don't want to record it amplified.

Q3. Which mike? Simple guitar at this point. No voice yet.

Q4. Do I need a stand for the mike?

Q5. Besides headphones, what should I play it through? Want simple, but good quality sound reproduction.

Probably go to Guitar Center here. No other decent music stores in this small town. If they don't have what you recommend will go online.

thanks so much in advance for your advice

Rick
Q2. Why do you feel the built in mics on your Tascam DR08 are insufficient? If you're on a tight budget, why not just work on good placement of the DR08? If you do want external mics (which could be a possible improvement) you need to determine what's compatible with the Tascam. I noticed it is a 1/8" mic/line input; do you know if it can provide phantom power? This would be a major factor in determining compatibility. Once you determine what's compatible, and within your price range, consider again if this amount of upgrade will be that much better than the Tascam mics. Another possibility is to get an external mic and external preamp and feed the preamp output into the Tascam line in. This could be your best upgrade path assuming you want to use the Tascam (not an interface and a computer).

Q3. I think you would get more appropriate advice if you stated your budget, but without that information here's my recommendation. The Oktava MC-012 is a very nice small diameter condenser. It does need phantom power. I have one for sale in the AGF classifieds. I also have a M-Audio DMP3 preamp for sale in that listing. Another great choice is the ADK A6 medium diameter condenser.

Q5. Again, playback system would depend on your budget. I have Equator D5 near field monitors, which I like a lot. For used, I would look at small near field monitors from Event.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-11-2014, 07:47 AM

You say $$ is an issue.

Purchase a inexpensive boom stand and rig up a way for your DR-8 to record your guitar. Don't stick it in front of your soundhole! Position it 8" out where the neck joins the body and adjust your input levels accordingly.

Purchase a set of small powered monitors to port the output to. Many can be purchased as singles if you don't mind mono. I have Presonus Eris 5's that work well.

All this premised on saving $$. There are better setups, but this allows you to accomplish your intended purpose without a big cash outlay. The mics on the DR-8 are fully capable of providing good quality sound if they are positioned and used correctly.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

You are probably going to get a number of different responses so perhaps I can help clarify some of your questions.

In general as to your intended "purpose" for the first part the Tascam is totally usable and adequate. As for "to hear in another way" that's a bit vague can you be a bit more specific as to what exactly do you mean because the answer to that could be the Tascam is fine by itself, or your going to want to spend perhaps at least $200 or more on a mic, to get a significant improvement in sound.

Q1 yes more the Tascam w/ its onboard mics, is completely adequate for part one of your Purpose recording "rhythm" tracks and to record a lead track.

Q2 again for clarity, if by "built in mic's " If you are talking about ones on the Tascam then yes the are "sufficient" or adequate and that is what I would use to start with. Can you get a a better sound with an additional mic probably but the Tascam by itself is completely usable until such time you decide to spend a fair bit more. And most importantly As a practice in general do not place a microphone of any type, at the sound hole.

Q3 depends on budget

Q4 For an external mic yes a stand will make life much easier

Q5 to start HP wil be adequate again which ones depends on budget.

hope this helps

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Default good to know

good to know the DR-08 is a good starter recorder. i can maybe cut loose a couple to 3 hundred, but that's it. and i don't have a monitor yet.

anyhoo, attached it to a broomstick and my guitar stand and did some recording. i'm listening to through Sony MDR V600 headphones right now. i'm going to have to learn what to set for the playback, e.g. cancel noise, treble boost, middle boost, bass boost and low cut. seems you only get to pick one. and for record similar choices under record EQ but add high cut. have to get the manual and see what to do.

there is a little vibrato effect, like the sound is wobbling or played through water. i have it set on noise cancel for playback and off for everything else. mikes spread as wide as they'll go and recorder about 8 inches off where the neck meets the body.

these elixir strings sure sound tinny particularly with the unwanted vibrato effect.

down to a Recorder and a Harmonica

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD