The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Pro tools tips you may not know about

For those who use Pro Tools. I was just thinking about a very useful tip I got from the Pro Tools Expert blog.

It is a method to create customized track "presets" that show up in the "New Track" options window in the PT edit window. The usefulness here is that unlike session templates which are great, this feature is for individual tracks or groups of tracks that you can add to session, with any plugs and routing already set up.
I'll show the youtube vids for PT 11 there also vids for PT 10 if you search "Pro Tools track hack" you should find them.

So here it is for PT 11 on a Mac

Here for PT 11 on a PC, Windows 7

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-05-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:18 AM

I have always had a folder on my audio drives that have pre-set, saved sessions that do exactly this. I have for example a 16 midi channel/aux track set up for Stylus. I have another for 8 midi channel setup for Omnisphere. Still another for the acoustic guitar audio chain I'd typically use. I have a channel strip pre-set for the various VO guys we work with. I
create the scenario as I'd like to see in a future session. I save it, then strip all the elements away (fade files, the audio folder, any session backup folders ect) It winds up being only the simple raw Pro Tools session icon. Named appropriately "Omnisphere, Stylus, acoustic guitar start ect.

Then once I'm working on a new session if I want to get my 16 channel Stylus running, I simply import session data into the existing session. It's as quick as what they're demoing here and I don't have to turn on any of the sends!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I have always had a folder on my audio drives that have pre-set, saved sessions that do exactly this. I have for example a 16 midi channel/aux track set up for Stylus. I have another for 8 midi channel setup for Omnisphere. Still another for the acoustic guitar audio chain I'd typically use. I have a channel strip pre-set for the various VO guys we work with. I
create the scenario as I'd like to see in a future session. I save it, then strip all the elements away (fade files, the audio folder, any session backup folders ect) It winds up being only the simple raw Pro Tools session icon. Named appropriately "Omnisphere, Stylus, acoustic guitar start ect.

Then once I'm working on a new session if I want to get my 16 channel Stylus running, I simply import session data into the existing session. It's as quick as what they're demoing here and I don't have to turn on any of the sends!
Well that is certainly one way to do it. And if I am not mistaken with this method you can save the track preset with the sends active on individual tracks. Although he did indicate that sometimes it gray's out on a multi send outputs from an instrument, which is only a single keystroke and click to fix across multiple tracks provided your sends from the instrument are in numerical sequence ?

It probably is not that much difference time wise setting up pre sets or creating sessions then stripping . I just think it is very useful to have everything you are describing as well as individual tracks all pre configured available as an option right in the session.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-05-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well that is certainly one way to do it. And if I am not mistaken with this method you can save the track preset with the sends active on individual tracks. Although he did indicate that sometimes it gray's out on a multi send outputs from an instrument, which is only a single keystroke and click to fix across multiple tracks provided your sends from the instrument are in numerical sequence ?

It probably is not that much difference time wise setting up pre sets or creating sessions then stripping . I just think it is very useful to have everything you are describing as well as individual tracks all pre configured available as an option right in the session.
No I agree. The method shown here is really cool and it is a worthy update to be noted. For my day job any Pro Tools time saver can potentially get me home quicker!

Pro Tools is pretty dang mature these days and honestly my "wish list" has grown very, very small. I'd wish for a more Logic-like freeze track scenario but short of that I dunno what could significantly be made better.

What about you. A wish list?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No I agree. The method shown here is really cool and it is a worthy update to be noted. For my day job any Pro Tools time saver can potentially get me home quicker!

Pro Tools is pretty dang mature these days and honestly my "wish list" has grown very, very small. I'd wish for a more Logic-like freeze track scenario but short of that I dunno what could significantly be made better.

What about you. A wish list?
Humm wish list ? Lets see well as you say not much I can think of off hand, plus not being under any pro time constraints and so far my system is powerful enough and my use of VI is generally no more that 2 to three and such that I really don't run out of CPU

Even when I was taking a class at Berklee in advanced music production in PT where we had to compose a piece of music and use all the bundled PT VI's I had no issues at all running real time.

the only thing I can think of off hand is a bug fix which is the topic of a thread over on GS , for the AIR Dynamic Delay, which doesn't save the delay time adjustment with the session or even if you save it as a preset. It saves all user adjustments except the delay time itself which is a pain.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 07-06-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Folders in the Clip List. Or has that happened? I'm still on PT10.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Folders in the Clip List. Or has that happened? I'm still on PT10.
I'm not on 11 yet either so I'm not sure. It funny to note however that Digi, waaaay back in the v4 days was promising 'bin" management tools (including folders) as one of their very next upgrades. They missed that mark

For Post Production (particularly if one works on the same show, with the same files needed daily) bin management would be great. I'd recommend Soundminer if you haven't already tried it. It's a solid solution and alternative for me and my workflow.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend Soundminer if you haven't already tried it. It's a solid solution and alternative for me and my workflow.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
The other one I'd like to see is an Espresso emulation...
Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
The other one I'd like to see is an Espresso emulation...
Yea man I'm with ya. I love my job, to that end there can be no doubt and I am ever so grateful. That said the pressure, the push-&-shove, the endless churning of production can take it's toll. I take care of myself (the best I can), I get good sleep but inevitably by Thursday morning I'm drinking enough coffee to sink a battleship. I squeeze by Friday and hope to high heaven I can get enough rest to start over again.

Espresso emulation is now on my list

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD