The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2019, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Why not talk to the guys at Brook Guitars in Devon? They build some nice guitars in a small workshop and, for hand-built instruments, they aren’t bank-breakers. The have several parlour models, and I believe they will make a neck to your own size-specs.

https://www.brookguitars.com/guitars/guitars.html

Just my two-penn’orth!
Thanks for the suggestion. My history with custom made instruments has been a saga of misery.

"Off the peg" for me now.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Kenl, thanks for this, and yes, I'm quite partial to 'bursts too.

That's quite a trio, Mr. M. The sunburst on that Collings, especially, is just gorgeous!

I've clicked this thread about 5 times now just to look at it. I think I like it because it doesn't have white binding. Just what is the binding, anyway.

Maybe you could post another photo or two of that one?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM

A rosewood 12fret 00 is about as good as it gets for me, particularly for fingerstyle but they can be great fun to flatpick too. Ive not played the E20-00 but all the clips ive heard sound fantastic, I would go with 00 as it gives you more versatility.

I think rosewood on a 12fret 00 gives a much fuller tone compared to mahogany, which can sound a bit thin IMHO.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Whatever you do, I'd look at OM's seriously before I got a 00 of any kind. I had a custom Martin 0028vs made for me and I ended up giving it to my son. I have owned a lot of guitars in my life and a lot of different body shapes, and I have come back to the OM as the ideal and most versatile body shape. I prefer them in rosewood with 1 3/4 inch nuts. I don't know if Eastman makes one, but if they do, it will be probably be pretty good, IMHO.
I have a Martin "reimagined" 2018 00-28 It is by far the most elegant and responsive guitar I have ever owned. It is effortless to play (short scale, 1.75" nut) and sits in my lap so comfortably that I have a hard time putting it down. The tone is heavenly with deep bass and sparkling highs. It's as close to perfect as I can imagine. The OM's and the 000's are great but this little guitar is really something quite special.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:15 PM

Andy, have a look at an Avalon S320A Americana. 1 3/4" nut, 25.5" scale, chunky neck profile, 12-fret in sitka/rosewood. Second hand, they go for about £1300-£1500 - more than an Eastman, but it could be worth exploring.

I sort of agree with Fresh1985 too - 12 frets in rosewood are great (such as my Taylor 712e 12-fret), although a mahogany deep body like my C10 custom is a worthy bedfellow.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Just received my new (used) E20P this afternoon. Lovely guitar, surprising low end and a lot of fun to play on the couch. The neck is going to take a little getting used to, but so far am very pleased.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm very pleased with the Eastman E20P that I have, wouldn't consider getting rid of it. I haven't played the E20 00 so I can't give a comparison there. I'm not well versed in describing the tonal characteristics of guitars, I can say that it is very responsive, and, being a 12 fretter projects the sound very well. It's in my rotation of 4-5 guitars that I play regularly, and when I pull it out after a couple of weeks of not touching it, I'm always amazed at the tones that it puts out. Vibratos, and bent notes really come through. To quote that old line, "if it was stolen or somehow destroyed, I get another one.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Just received my new (used) E20P this afternoon. Lovely guitar, surprising low end and a lot of fun to play on the couch. The neck is going to take a little getting used to, but so far am very pleased.
I got my used E20P a few weeks ago. Same reaction. The size is convenient, the sound is good, and the neck is full-sized, which is good for playing in rotation with a D and OM.

Last edited by vintage40s; 10-22-2019 at 07:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion