The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Have you ever played a scalloped fretboard?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 7 43.75%
What's a scalloped fretboard? 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 PM

Default Have you ever played a scalloped fretboard (electric)?

Have you ever played a scalloped fretboard? Yngwie Malmsteen is famous for using one on his Strat.

I played my first one tonight (unplugged), the Yngwie signature Strat. I thought for sure I'd play out of tune but I didn't. I could play without difficulty, although it felt different. I have no desire to have a scalloped fretboard on any of my guitars though.

Your experiences?
Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 PM

if your note sensitive and have to have perfect intonation it can help. can also help you develop a light touch. I like the high frets scalloped like 18 through 24 is what I do but not the low ones. and do not ask me why I just do. it is a feel thing I do not understand my self.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 PM

Yngwie got the idea from one of his main idols, Mr. Blackmore. I think his other idol, Ulrich 'Uli' Jon Roth may have dabbled in the scalloped realm too.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 PM

i really like the feel of a scalloped fretboard.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM

I have never actually played one. I have been tempted to order a guitar with a scalloped fretboard as much Yngwie and Racer X as I've listened to.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Have you ever played a scalloped fretboard? Yngwie Malmsteen is famous for using one on his Strat.

I played my first one tonight (unplugged), the Yngwie signature Strat. I thought for sure I'd play out of tune but I didn't. I could play without difficulty, although it felt different. I have no desire to have a scalloped fretboard on any of my guitars though.

Your experiences?
you know, unless you normally press the strings (or really press your fingers) into the fretboard, playing with a scalloped fretboard is the same. it's easier though, because you don't even need to touch the fretboard. things like vibrato or bends have less resistance.

i think if one uses really light strings, like 8s or 9s then it might be more of an issue, but those are also an issue with frets that aren't super low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I have never actually played one. I have been tempted to order a guitar with a scalloped fretboard as much Yngwie and Racer X as I've listened to.
i bought a yngwie malmsteen neck off of ebay (the stratosphere?) and put it on my strat when it was due for a refret.

Last edited by mc1; 01-10-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
<<snippet>>

i bought a yngwie malmsteen neck off of ebay (the straosphere?) and put it on my strat when it was due for a refret.
Cool. Do you use it often?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
i bought a yngwie malmsteen neck off of ebay (the straosphere?) and put it on my strat when it was due for a refret.
If I ordered one, it would likely be a bolt-on just in case I decided it wasn't for me. Feeling moderately shreddy, I played my old Kramer Nightswan II, which has a 24 fret neck, flat radius, LOW action, and 24.75" scale. I can't scallop that one, but it has me wondering how something with scalloped frets would compare. That thing plays so easily.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM

If you have a crazy ear for intonation you can press a little harder and make the note come into range for your ear. but really they are no faster. you have to watch your touch play light with very good technique .
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Cool. Do you use it often?
well, i hardly use any of my electrics these days, and i have a few that are really great.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
well, i hardly use any of my electrics these days, and i have a few that are really great.
I'm the same way ... although I pulled out my Epi Les Paul Joe Bonamassa / Marshall tonight during the Patriots game at halftime. I didn't play as fast as that super fast guy in your other thread though.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I'm the same way ... although I pulled out my Epi Les Paul Joe Bonamassa / Marshall tonight during the Patriots game at halftime. I didn't play as fast as that super fast guy in your other thread though.
ha!. my favorite electric is my carvln holdsworth with duncan p-rails. it's been plek'd and plays and sounds great. it hads a 20" radius fretboard, so it's almost flat.

check out the latest video in the other thread. he's shredding up "flight of the bumblebees", in totally blurry fashion.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 PM

Yes. I thought it was strange, and It helped me figure out what I didn't like about the huge frets my Highway One model had.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
ha!. my favorite electric is my carvln holdsworth with duncan p-rails. it's been plek'd and plays and sounds great. it hads a 20" radius fretboard, so it's almost flat.

check out the latest video in the other thread. he's shredding up "flight of the bumblebees", in totally blurry fashion.
You've got the Carvin Holdsworth? Cool. Did you order it direct from Carvin or did you get it used? You don't see too many Carvins in the Maritimes.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You've got the Carvin Holdsworth? Cool. Did you order it direct from Carvin or did you get it used? You don't see too many Carvins in the Maritimes.
i bought it from a friend of alans (in maryland?), who told me it was a prototype from carvin that he rejected. he also included some alternate takes of alan's latest album, which showed me that alan plays every take differently, and is a true master. blew me away.

here he is on one of his delaps:

Last edited by mc1; 01-10-2015 at 08:24 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars