The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 AM

Default J-50 & Monels

Hey all,
I just got my old J-50 back after selling and regretting it last year. While it was gone, it was on consignment at Carter’s in Nashville, where (I assume) it was restrung with a set of Martin Monels. I’ve used those strings before, with different results, but all I can say is WOW. On the J-50, they take the midrange growl and that good ol’ Gibson thump and kick it up about 10 notches. It has such a good mellowness to it when fingerpicking, but when I dig in, it gets really mean-sounding and focused, almost like there’s a compressor on it to reign and tighten up the natural overdrive from the top. I’ve been considering picking up a set of handmade brass strings from Gabriel Tenorio in LA, but I don’t have any idea what the sound profile of straight 100% brass strings are, as I’ve had no experience with them. After this, however, I might just stick with the much cheaper Monels, as the tone for this guitar is just perfect, already.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I hear you, buddy.

My J 50 gets monels or pure nickels every other string change. To me, they sound transparent.

I alternate between a J 50 and a 000 18. One of the two will be strung with round core PB strings, the other with monels or nickels. I like to have the choice.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Only Monels for my j45....medium.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:28 PM

I own a 1942 J50 and prefer Newtone Masterclass Nickel. I have tried Monels and thought they were fine and do keep a couple of sets around. But I just prefer the Newtones. Maybe it is because I do not use picks and only play with my fingers. But in 55+ years of playing I have never heard the kind of change you are talking about with any string.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I own a 1942 J50 and prefer Newtone Masterclass Nickel. I have tried Monels and thought they were fine and do keep a couple of sets around. But I just prefer the Newtones. Maybe it is because I do not use picks and only play with my fingers. But in 55+ years of playing I have never heard the kind of change you are talking about with any string.
That’s fair. I’m positive that it was partly an “absence makes the heart grow fonder” thing. Having not heard the guitar in a year, I probably over-hyped it in my head. I guess I just like the tone of the guitar more now than I remember it a year ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion