The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I'm surprised that this patent application actually went through the system at the US PTO and became a patent.
I'm not. I've spent the last forty years in high tech, and I've seen far too many bogus patents. I believe the patent office is overwhelmed and pretty much rubber stamps whatever comes through. The search for prior often only seems to cover patented prior art, and ignores things already in the public domain. In addition, I don't think most patent inspectors have in-depth knowledge in all the fields in which they investigate, which makes it easier for bogus patents to slip through.

The problem is, once a patent is issued, it is very difficult and expensive to get it overturned.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 02-26-2020, 06:07 AM

I just caught up to this and am going to need a little time before I comment.

Well, other than the last sentence....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Well, until Murph weighs in, let me just say that Scott's picks made with the black material are pretty nice and I noticed that on his website, they come in a nice variety of shapes and thicknesses. I have several of the casein picks which are my faves but I may be wanting a black tri to check out at some point.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-27-2020, 07:27 AM

Okay I've decided.

It ain't right.

If D'Andrea had done that in the 20's we would have never had the Fender picks, and many, many more.

I'm agin it...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Murphy Slaw; 02-27-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

It ain't right.

If D'Andrea had done that in the 20's we would have never had the Fender picks, and many, many more.
..... or maybe if D'Andrea had done that in the 20’s, Fender, and many others, would have spent their efforts finding other, possibly better, materials for which to make picks from.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Charmed Life Vespel Picks Now Being Made in Mexico

A couple days ago a new thread popped up in AGF related to this topic. I've added an update of where we're at in there. I won't repeat it here. The link is below.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=576962

For those who might be interested, we are in the process of opening a manufacturing facility outside the U.S., to manufacture Vespel/polyimide guitar picks. Stay tuned.

Let me be clear: This facility will be for producing our popular brown series, Vespel picks for INTERNATIONAL SALES ONLY. Pursuant to the existing USPTO patent in place in the United States, we have no plans at this time to manufacture or distribute Vespel picks in the U.S.

Let me know if you have any questions.

all the best,
scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 04-04-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Nobody claimed this was a novel invention per se. The novelty is the use of the material and the changes that means to a pick. What it means, and what's been recognized by the USPTO is a novel application of the material and an admittedly minor innovation in picks. Enough to qualify for a patent obviously. If it's still confusing then I'd recommend you read my prior post. If you still don't get how this patent was approved and why then I'd recommend a study on Patents. As to your example, if in fact the material you pointed out hasn't yet been used for what you're applying it to (here it's guitar picks but it could be anything else) then yes, you may get a patent.

As the material in question here is itself a patented product the new patent claimer must refer to that material (which they did), claim a new use of that material (which they are), be the first to do so (apparently that applies here) and it's highly likely they're paying the original patent holder some sort of fee. Oh, they are also allowed now to LICENSE the use of their patent to others. Simply allowing others to do it without any attempt to enforce the Patent means they'd lose all of it.
You're providing facts to people who just want to be outraged.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion