The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Default guitar pick-up half volume

I have a guitar that I built about 4 years ago that's my favorite and I play it often. When I built it I installed an LR Baggs Element under saddle pick-up. It worked fine until about 2-3 months ago. Seems it suddenly lost about half it's volume. I took the pick-up out and looked it over, everything looked okay. Short of replacing the pick-up I have no clue what might be going on. I thought someone here might have had the same thing happen or have some clue about what I might try?
Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 12-30-2019, 06:54 PM

Probably a loose wire or a little buildup on the contact points. Try twisting the instrument cable inside the jack a few times. Also, is the saddle fully seated in the bridge up against the pickup?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:33 AM

Default original poster

I thought someone might might benefit from this.
I replaced this pickup with a new identical pickup and still had the same half volume problem. Long story short, the problem was in the saddle. Since the saddle leans forward slightly the bottom of the saddle must be shaped on a slight angle so that it sits flat on pickup woven ribbon. I had to replace the saddle and get it shaped right and this gave the guitar full volume.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Why did it change?
It was good for a while and then only half the sound.
Is the saddle the original one?
Old 01-24-2020, 07:58 AM

Why did it change?

Good question. At some point I reset the neck and replaced the saddle. I remember the guitar playing really well after, but I don't remember how long it was after that I tried playing through a PA. When I took the saddle out recently it looked like the angle on the bottom was backward. Sounds retarded I know but I am 70 and something of a scatterbrain with many interests besides building guitars and playing music. Cheers!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:03 AM

just to be clear..are you talking about
acoustic volume or amplified volume?
Old 01-26-2020, 07:54 AM

just to be clear..are you talking about
acoustic volume or amplified volume?

Amplified volume. The bottom of the saddle lying flat on the pickup element makes a big difference in amplified volume.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
Why did it change?

Good question. At some point I reset the neck and replaced the saddle. I remember the guitar playing really well after, but I don't remember how long it was after that I tried playing through a PA. When I took the saddle out recently it looked like the angle on the bottom was backward. Sounds retarded I know but I am 70 and something of a scatterbrain with many interests besides building guitars and playing music. Cheers!
Perhaps you put the saddle in backwards with the treble end on the bass end?

It may seem like it would be way past obvious, but not always. Phone rings in the midst of a string change, the wine kicks in, and next thing you know you're questioning your sanity.

Flip it.

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification