The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

The darkest Martin I’ve played was a specific HD-28V. Far warmer and darker with richness that doesn’t even compare with a straight braced guitar (like the D-35) or OM body size. I did also hear a 50s D-18 that was surprisingly dark sounding (Although was partly the player). No Taylor comes close, in this department. I’ve also heard the D-28 Authentic 1931 is very dark tone as well, but still haven’t found one to strum.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
I have a Taylor 320e Spring Edition all Mahogany Baritone that is very dark. I distinguish dark from the natural low note sound. This guitar to me is a jumbo Dred-it makes my Martin DC-Aura look small next to it in the cabinet. It has a natural reverb to it. Deep and dark. My favorite songs to play on it are Castles Burning by Neal Young and CSN’s Ohio. I love it!!
Thanks for that, I've been playing Ohio and I actually have that same guitar, just tried it... cool!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 AM

Love this thread and this question and love, love the recordings posted. Ouch!!
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

A late 1960's Guild F-50 R Navarre Brazilian was the darkest tone I can remember. That huge jumbo body swallowed treble tones like a Black Hole. That back wood was absolutely gorgeous. Deep purple and some green hues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion