The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM

This thing is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KLBw...embedded#at=81
Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Little case for the Porch Board Bass. Captured with a small Camera gizmo.

Live last year
Notice the professional fumble and recovery!

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM

I use....a bass drum! \

Go to a pawn shop or music store with used gear and find a small fusion bass drum. Can't beat the sound, and you can mic it if you need more sound (which you won't). Its a little bigger than a stomp box, but it won't break down on you.

I just can't find any kind of stomp box I like without having a huge woofer to play it through.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 AM

That's my problem. I can't really get adequate volume with what I have and I don't know if it would be any better with a big bass speaker. I actually tried my setup through a 1000w QSC K-sub and it wasn't that loud at all. Actually my 100w sony sub was louder ????

No idea why.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
That's my problem. I can't really get adequate volume with what I have and I don't know if it would be any better with a big bass speaker. I actually tried my setup through a 1000w QSC K-sub and it wasn't that loud at all. Actually my 100w sony sub was louder ????

No idea why.
That is why I gave up and went with a bass drum. It looks kinda funny I am sure, but I don't know what the heck to play through that will give a real good thud! (My problem is probably that I am a drummer and have been for 20 years...and I always hated electronic kits)
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Guest 2143

This is my last comment on this thread, I promise! I put my footbass straight into my Yamaha EMX512SC mixer (2 X 500 watt amps at 8ohms), connected to my 12" EV SX100+ speakers, and have never had the volume on the footbass channel past halfway, even at outdoor venues. It is really hot. I can make the objects on the bookshelves in my practice room rattle with ease. I cut the treble control on the channel all the way, usually much of the mid, and dime the compression on the channel. Thud, thump, whatever you want to call it....I am sure it would sound even better if I had I sub, or just a nice 15" speaker.

YMMV, but this thing really works for me.

Last edited by Guest 2143; 06-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:05 PM

My Ellis sounds every bit as good as that puck job up there. I run it through a small Hartke bass combo if the system I'm using has anything less than 15'' woofers. Sure it needs EQ, but so does that one up there I bet.
Mine was a cosmetic second from the shop for a few scratches and cost me hardly anything. Scratches? I'm gonna put it under my foot, what do scratches matter?

I think these things are over thought. Just get one and use it.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Well I don't think they are overthought. A lot of them miss the thump and give a boxy trebley tone IMO. Especially the cigar box ones.

My problem is mostly volume. My setup works fine but doesn't produce the volume I need. Right now I'm mic'ing my powered bass bin through another 15" powered PA speaker. It's ridiculous to have 300lbs of equipment for just a thud sound that is loud enough.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 AM

I looked into building one early last year..never got round to it but i'm going to do it next month. Not sure how it will turn out but i'm going to put a guitar pickup in- a plain jane cheap one like this

That way i can eq it without extra pedals or what not.

Also i saw someone on YT nail an old US License Plate onto one (blank/empty) side of the box. It has a bit more give and looks really good!

Not sure how it will turn out but something to perhaps consider?

EDIT: This is the YT vid i was referring to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BM0WNtJzcs

Last edited by Calluma11; 01-22-2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM

Whoops. Just seen when this thread was posted, sorry for re-raising it!!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm still interested, need one! It's a confusing market. "Mike" in this video has two things going, I am, especially, interested in his tambourine right foot setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtO27E1atBU

Whatever he's doing, it sounds good to me!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calluma11 View Post
Whoops. Just seen when this thread was posted, sorry for re-raising it!!
Oldie but goodie!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM

i got the logarhythm for an xmas present and have used it a couple of times with great success. you do have to have a rather hard-soled shoe to get a bigger sounding bass kick drum sound tho. here is a link to it.

http://log-jam.co.uk/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Well, since this thread got resuscitated once in 2013, I decided to revive it once more, rather than start a new one.

A few weeks ago, I got an SBX II from SX (Rondo Music). I ran it through a 10-watt bass amp, turned the treble and mids down on the amp, and "dimed" the amp's bass knob. The SBX II is good, but I'm looking for a good used subwoofer to use with it. I just bought a Kustom PA50, which has a "subwoofer out" jack, so whatever I get for a subwoofer can do double duty.

I also recetly fell into a good deal on a Footbass, and it should be arriving in the mail pretty soon. On the Footbass site, they suggest a subwoofer of at least 75 watts output, with at least an 8" driver, so that's what I'm checking eBay for. Maybe something with dual 8" drivers, or a 10", and maybe some more power (wattage) so it'll have some "headroom." (And trying to find a good one that weighs less than 50 lbs. )

There's a YouTube video with Kaki King holding a Footbass and getting some additional sounds out of it, and I think she looped them. I don't have the link for that video.
When I watched this Footbass demo today, I decided to plug my headphones into the computer, and what a difference that made. Both the bass and the cajon sounded deeper.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

After reading this old thread, I decided to give it a go. I've been playing my cigar box guitar lately, and in the spirit of cigar box guitars, decided I needed to scrounge a stomp box from stuff I already had. I came up with some nice clear heart 2x2 redwood and remembered a long non used Baroilini steel guitar pickup.

Used the license plate method laid out by the 1969 guy.

Cut the 2x2s a bit larger than the license plate, caved and spent $15 for an Ohio plate at the local antiques mall, nailed it together, no fancy screws or glue here. and nailed a pine board bottom. Put the pickup on a 1/2 " riser, wired it to a jack, no volume or tone yet, plugged it in and proceeded to stomp my way through every blues tune I know....twice.

I originally had it on a bamboo desk mat, but it was picking up the mat vibrations so I folded a towel to put under it. Now it makes a nice dead thud through my Carvin AG 300. Another reason I'm glad I got the AG 300. The 12" speaker really rocks the stomp.

If you do any kind of rootsy music, you need one of these. Put a tambourine on the other foot, hang a harmonica around your neck, grab the funkiest guitar you have and get down.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification