The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Default Just ordered a Taylor NS72ce

I decided to get a second nylon string to round out my guitar collection. I have a Yamaha NTX 1200R and I was looking for some more nylon variety. I tried a Cervantes crossover I and liked it. I really didn't expect to like the Taylor over the Cervantes but that's how it went down. I probably wouldn't have even considered the Taylor if wasn't for my recent infatuation with my very first Taylor: a 12 fret Specialty (GC).

The Cervantes are pretty awesome, there's no doubt. In the end, the Taylor neck with the 12 frets felt more like home as did the GC body. Resonance on the Taylor was nice, but the volume Cervantes was higher. In the end the Taylor tone spoke to me more and the guitar felt more comfortable.

If you are in the market for a crossover, I suggest you try both models as well as the Yamaha NTX series.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Good luck with your choice! On the subject, can you tell me the definition of a crossover guitar? I'm thinking that it's an electrified nylon string?

'Scuze my ignorance...lol

Taylor DN3
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
Boss BR 1600CD
Zoom H4n
Dell XPS M1640
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Monitor Headphones
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

No doubt the NS72 is a nice guitar and a very well done crossover.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratt2828 View Post
Good luck with your choice! On the subject, can you tell me the definition of a crossover guitar? I'm thinking that it's an electrified nylon string?

'Scuze my ignorance...lol
By crossover they mean a nylon stringed guitar targeted to a steel string player. They are typically somewhere in between a true classical and a steel string. For example, a classical guitar will have a 2" nut and a flat fret board. The Taylor NS72CE has a 1 7/8" wide nut and a slightly radiused fret board. So it falls in between the classical at 2" and a Taylor 712CE with a 1 3/4" nut. Many crossovers also have pickups for amplification where a true classical typically does not. There are other differences depending on the guitar in question such as bracing, scale, etc.

Cheers!

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Enjoy that Taylor. They are beautiful and well made. I really like their playability and plugged in tone. Congratulations.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I think the Taylor nylons are great, and are extremely comfortable and easy to play. Good luck and please post clips and pics when it arrives.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 AM

Congratulation and welcome to the 72-owners-club ;-)
Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 AM

I've also just got a Taylor NS, a NS74CE. I'm a steel string player but have been looking for a nylon string that is like a steel string guitar for YEARS!

I've tried many nylon string guitars but as mentioned here, the wide nut, flat fingerboard, typically high action don't do it for me. Then I tried the 74. Woo, that's more like it!

14 frets, 1 7/8 nut, radius on the fingerboard, the new super duper discrete ES-N electronics (I really don't like a BIG control panel on the side of the body). I've had the action lowered and I'm sure Segovia is cursing somewhere but for me it means I can even play all my fast finger style pieces on it. It came with extra high tension strings, I've put on coated medium tension strings and much prefer them. So it's a very non classical nylon string guitar and I love it.

Just what I've been after all these years and it slots in nicely next to my Taylor W12C.

Would like a LKSM 12 string to complete the trinity.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 AM

Wow, Congrats to both of you. The NS72 is a sonic beauty.

Enjoy !

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical