The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Any reason I'd want a nylon string guitar in addition to steel strings?

I was doing some reading about the physical differences between nylon and steel string guitars. I know that nylon are used in classical music. I thought I read also that they can be used for other acoustic genres. I play almost exclusively rhythm, and use a pick on steel strings. I think you don't or can't use a pick to strum nylon strings, just your fingers?

This is mostly educational for me from you experienced nylon players, as for why I might want to add a nylon string guitar to my collection. Would the combination of its different construction, the strings and stumming with fingers be a materially different sound than from a steel string guitar played rhythm with a pick?
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes, it would sound different. And yes, you CAN use a pick with a nylon string guitar.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM

I grew up playing nylon strings and played everything on it from classical to surf. They are very versatile and I think all players should have one.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

OK, this is good to know. Thanks guys. I thought about it for a couple of reasons... I wouldn't spend a whole lot on it, learning (to use) something new and different, and using it to take to work, the beach or a park instead of taking my Seagull or Yamaha and potentially damaging them.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Cheap classical guitars are not all that satisfying to play and classicals are usually more delicate and sensitive to the environment that flattops are. Even though I had a classical guitar and played classical music on it for years in the past I no longer have one or feel the need for one with what I like to play today. It does not sound like you really "need" one for your current musical tastes but on the other hand it might be fun for you to try something different.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Yes you can use a pick on nylon. The reason you would want to add oneto your steel string is for the richness in tone. They are worlds apart on the tone spectrum. Playing just steel string is like coloring with the 24 count box of crayons. Add a good nylon and you've got the full 64 count box.

When comparing with steel Stringed guitars, you have to spend more $ to get better quality. You really can't go cheap on a nylon.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It does not sound like you really "need" one for your current musical tastes but on the other hand it might be fun for you to try something different.
True, it's a "like to have" not "need to have". Good to know about their sensitivity to the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
Yes you can use a pick on nylon. The reason you would want to add oneto your steel string is for the richness in tone. They are worlds apart on the tone spectrum. Playing just steel string is like coloring with the 24 count box of crayons. Add a good nylon and you've got the full 64 count box.

When comparing with steel Stringed guitars, you have to spend more $ to get better quality. You really can't go cheap on a nylon.
Interesting, and answers I was looking for. So if I want to get a classical, using the above mentioned "like to have" not "need to have", I'll go with quality. For a beater guitar I would look at something else.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I agree with most of what's been said, but I'd disagree with the notion that less expensive nylon string guitars are unpleasant to play or somehow more sensitive to environmental conditions. A very expensive classical guitar is going to be more sensitive, in the same way that a very expensive steel string might be more sensitive to changes in humidity, temperature, etc, because of thin finishes, thinner top wood, and so on. But you can find a decent or even very good nylon string guitar for less than a comparable (quality-wise) steel string guitar. Obviously, your own experience is going to determine whether you like that more or not, but companies like Yamaha and Takamine and Cordoba are all out there making instruments that might be worth an experiment. I like yamaha especially for the cost/quality relationship, but there are others out there.

In my view, nylon-stringed guitars, even very cheap, crappy ones, have a tonal quality and a timbre that you just can't experience with all-metal strings. There is something rounder and more gentle about the sound, and because they're generally smaller and not so loud, something more intimate as well. This might go away somewhat if you strum hard with a pick, but once you've used an instrument for a while you learn what works and what doesn't. If I had to go the rest of my life with just one inexpensive guitar, I would absolutely get a classical guitar, even though I currently play mine only about 10% of the time I dedicate to making music.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM

You want a nylon because it will expand your playing style, repertoire and interests.
When I pick up my nylon, I tend to play different songs from what I play on my steel string. And even the old favorites end up getting reinterpretted. It's a great way to kickstart yourself out of a rut.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

My Ovation Country Artist sounds good and handles varying environmental conditions about as well as anything short of CA or Rainsong. They can be had for fairly reasonable prices. With a 1-7/8 nut, it's sort of the original crossover. I like switching between various guitars and getting the different possibilities for a piece of music.

Joe
Pimentel Concert #1 '74
Breedlove C25 Masterclass Custom
Ovation Country Artist
Old 02-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I should qualify inexpensive classical guitars would be less satisfying to me. Perhaps I got spoiled with high end classicals and now high end flattops. Classical guitars, at least ones that sound any good, are more lightly built than any flattop is and thus are more quickly affected by the environment, especially humidity. Also the fact that there is no truss rod could come into play should something happen to the neck relief.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
You want a nylon because it will expand your playing style, repertoire and interests.
When I pick up my nylon, I tend to play different songs from what I play on my steel string. And even the old favorites end up getting reinterpretted. It's a great way to kickstart yourself out of a rut.
I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
I agree with most of what's been said, but I'd disagree with the notion that less expensive nylon string guitars are unpleasant to play or somehow more sensitive to environmental conditions. A very expensive classical guitar is going to be more sensitive, in the same way that a very expensive steel string might be more sensitive to changes in humidity, temperature, etc, because of thin finishes, thinner top wood, and so on. But you can find a decent or even very good nylon string guitar for less than a comparable (quality-wise) steel string guitar. Obviously, your own experience is going to determine whether you like that more or not, but companies like Yamaha and Takamine and Cordoba are all out there making instruments that might be worth an experiment. I like yamaha especially for the cost/quality relationship, but there are others out there.

In my view, nylon-stringed guitars, even very cheap, crappy ones, have a tonal quality and a timbre that you just can't experience with all-metal strings. There is something rounder and more gentle about the sound, and because they're generally smaller and not so loud, something more intimate as well. This might go away somewhat if you strum hard with a pick, but once you've used an instrument for a while you learn what works and what doesn't. If I had to go the rest of my life with just one inexpensive guitar, I would absolutely get a classical guitar, even though I currently play mine only about 10% of the time I dedicate to making music.
I agree with you and with the suggestion that even if your main instrument will be steel strings, a classical guitar will offer a different palette of sound worth exploring.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM

OK, I'm sold on getting a classical to add to my small collection. You guys are very persuasive.

I cannot afford to spend very much on one, just in the $100-$200 range. I'm not sure what I can get for that. Just for kicks I checked GC, not that I have to get this one, or from GC for that matter. Just something along these lines. I know you will have suggestions and critiques, and advice.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lucero-L...85-i1171410.gc
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'd definitely look for something with a solid cedar (or spruce) top, even in that price range. Here's a higher-end option from musician's friend:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=H68072

I'd stick with brands like cordoba, yamaha, takamine, or maybe these rodriguez caballeros that I'm seeing on there - in your price range, used might be a better option (more quality for the price) than new. But as suggested above, play everything you can get your hands on before you make your decision. You'll know when you've found one you like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical