The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM

Default Dumb Question...But How Often Should i Change My Strings?

I always wash my hands before playing.....and it only gets used around 10 hours a week...I don't gig, but I am jamming with a mate now, and it sounds good to me....I think I put new ones on about 3 months ago...when I first bought it. So been wondering if I wait til one breaks or can see a discolouration of the strings?? Does it all depend on how often you use it? Thanks Guys....and gals

Daza. (sorry this is probably old issue like...any tips for playing barre chords.)
Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 AM

There are many factors that determine when you should change your strings; coated or uncoated strings, environment, chemical makeup of your skin, how often you play, etc. So there is no set number of days/weeks for every situation. Best advice is to change them when they start sounding dead. The more you play and the more you change your strings the more you will know when it is time to change. At three months, it would be a good time to experiment. Play the guitar now and remember how it sounds, then change the strings. If you notice a big difference, you probably should have changed them sooner.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:30 AM

I just change them when they start to sound dull and "off." How long that takes depends on the strings and the guitar. I have three guitars and play them all rather equally, so it can take some time before I start to think they'd sound better with newer strings.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

It's one of those things that's "in the ear of the hearer", LOL! Like has been said, when they sound dead, thuddy or just "off" in some way.

I use Elixirs and am amazed by how long they sound good to me; when I used to use Dr Rare's and was gigging a bunch, I'd change 'em every couple of three weeks or sooner - that's on my 6 string. 12 string they seem to hang in there for 2 or 3 times longer than the 6 string. My electric guitars' strings last even longer - I have heavy flatwounds on my ES-175 jazz archtop, and I can go years without changing them! (I like the "dull, thumpy, dead" sound with those!)

I don't use any "stuff" on my strings... I just wipe them down completely, after every extended use...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 AM

hm, "when they start to sound dull"...who will tell me/him that they sound dull when he/i don't have the impression even after a few months...one my friend once told me that he had one string set 2 years on his guitar!!! and he had the impression that they still sounded good. of course, experienced guitar players have "the time to change the strings" in the ear but how a novice should know when to change them. advices like "you will hear it when it's time to change strings" are useless because in the ears of the novice they may sound "good" until they break, really. i think that to know the time is a matter of a few year experiences of playing. so my advice is to change them regulary every two months at least until you learn to know the time for changing, what will come naturally after years. moreover, though strings may sound good even after 2-3 months, they should be changed becuase too worn out strings don't do frets any good

Last edited by Ivob; 10-29-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 AM

I use DR Sunbeams and they last long time for non coated strings, but as a rough guess i probably change them after 30 -40 hours of playing.

I generally like the 'worn in' tone as long as it doesnt sound flat. DR Sunbeams have that worn in tone for quite a long time, and the good thing is that when they go flat, they really go flat, it just dies on you so its a good indicator that its time to open a fresh packet.

But 30-40 hours is probably aroudn the mark.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 10-29-2010, 05:58 AM

Ivob and Daza,
Both good questions and rightly so if you're relatively new to guitar.

Here's what I was told. Take your index finger underneath one of the none-wound strings (High E, B, G?) and run your finger up or down the neck a lil ways.

OK?

Now if there's any gunk or it feels like it might cut you or it feels rough. Its way past time to change the strings.

Another good rule, for uncoated strings (which I'd suggest early on in learning guitar), if you do play/practice frequently, change them every 90 days or so.

A pack of non-coated strings don't cost that much and cheaper if you buy in 3x 5x 10x packs. So its not an expensive thing to change them that often.

After a while you know when its time. You'll remember that "Fresh/New" sound and feel of strings and you'll either like that sound/tone or not.

But again its a personal thing. I have a few guitars with 6 month old strings. They still sound fine to me. Another one of my guitars I change them x3 months always.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutFiddler View Post
Ivob and Daza,
Both good questions and rightly so if you're relatively new to guitar.

Here's what I was told. Take your index finger underneath one of the none-wound strings (High E, B, G?) and run your finger up or down the neck a lil ways.

OK?

Now if there's any gunk or it feels like it might cut you or it feels rough. Its way past time to change the strings.

Another good rule, for uncoated strings (which I'd suggest early on in learning guitar), if you do play/practice frequently, change them every 90 days or so.

A pack of non-coated strings don't cost that much and cheaper if you buy in 3x 5x 10x packs. So its not an expensive thing to change them that often.

After a while you know when its time. You'll remember that "Fresh/New" sound and feel of strings and you'll either like that sound/tone or not.

But again its a personal thing. I have a few guitars with 6 month old strings. They still sound fine to me. Another one of my guitars I change them x3 months always.
Thanks I think I look at getting some new strings soon, I have to be honest and tell you I have only changed strings twice on my guitars, because I didn't know how to and always let the shop do it, it is something I feel now that that all people starting out should do and not be afraid of messing it up , thats another reason I think the novice puts it off too?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
...Daza. (sorry this is probably old issue like...any tips for playing barre chords.)
Hi Daza…

Three short videos I did for my students and friends on barres…

Barre…where is the pressure - CLiCK

Barre-above and behind the neck - CLiCK

Barre from the front - CLiCK

Hope this helps...

As for strings, when they become dull sounding or lose sustain, I change them...my style is really dependent on sustaining strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
Thanks I think I look at getting some new strings soon, I have to be honest and tell you I have only changed strings twice on my guitars, because I didn't know how to and always let the shop do it, it is something I feel now that that all people starting out should do and not be afraid of messing it up , thats another reason I think the novice puts it off too?
I've seen some videos on changing strings, or just putting on strings on Youtube. After I built my first from a kit, I took it over to Stephen Kinnaird's place, all proud of the job I'd done on the guitar. First thing he noticed was that I'd wound the strings to the outside of the posts! Heck, I didn't know any better. They will play that way, but, I guess convention is that they go on the inside. At any rate, try looking for string videos. You'll have a nice looking headstock for sure.
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write