The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM

I have ernie ball black trebles. tried to check there site for extra hard tension, but the site is a little wierd to use.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 AM

this video confirms it - he uses d'addario folk strings:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2...ason_Mraz.aspx

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM

As a major Mraz fan, he uses D'Addario folk nylons strings, they have ball ends. So no tying!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Default nylon string

YES there is your answer!! I should have checked D'Addario's website, good thinking! It says he does use the EJ32 Folk Nylon Silver/Ball End Black Treble. So happy I finally found this answer!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstills890 View Post
YES there is your answer!! I should have checked D'Addario's website, good thinking! It says he does use the EJ32 Folk Nylon Silver/Ball End Black Treble. So happy I finally found this answer!
I tried these out, they sound great but... suck at staying in tune. I wonder if this is just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
Ahhhh....humanity, don't you just love it. When the doo doo hits the fan the good people come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for helping to reset my "GRUMPY" button.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seijou View Post
I tried these out, they sound great but... suck at staying in tune. I wonder if this is just me?
I also use the EJ32 on my NS72, I thought this is a specific problem with nylon strings...
If they finally stay in tune after 2 weeks, they don`t sound good anymore, I have to restring - and the trouble starts again.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM

This thread seems to become a Mraz-fans' meeting point. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ons/icon12.gif
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Default BUT what about the tension?!?!

Hey guys so I appreciate all the responses and it is true that he uses the EJ32! However, I understand that these are medium tension and the NS72CE is meant to be for extra hard tension. Wouldn't medium tension screw up the neck?! I thought you had to get your guitar neck suited to play a certain tension string? I play a NS74CE and use extra-hard tension. Won't I screw up my neck if I switch to the EJ32s?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Hey guys so I appreciate all the responses and it is true that he uses the EJ32! However, I understand that these are medium tension and the NS72CE is meant to be for extra hard tension. Wouldn't medium tension screw up the neck?! I thought you had to get your guitar neck suited to play a certain tension string? I play a NS74CE and use extra-hard tension. Won't I screw up my neck if I switch to the EJ32s?
Using reduced tension strings would probably require a truss rod adjustment to compensate for the drop in tension but wouldn't cause damage. The reduced tension would also cause a drop in volume. A guitar top requires a certain, optimum tension. Too much tension begins to dampen soundboard response and too little doesn't sufficiently drive the top.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Hey thanks for the response! Just wondering, if normal guage is duller and not as bright as the heavier gauges, why even bother switching to normal? In other words, what would be the benefits of having normal gauge?
Old 02-25-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for the response! Just wondering, if normal guage is duller and not as bright as the heavier gauges, why even bother switching to normal? In other words, what would be the benefits of having normal gauge?
I don't know why one would want strings whose tension would be below the guitar's optimum range. I would think the lower tension strings are intended for very lightly built guitars whose I deal tension range is lower.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzice View Post
Hey Stoogey,

I just purchased a JMSM a couple weeks ago...
Congrats, I'd like a JMSM, but am pretty well satisfied with my 32, but if money were no object.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 02-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I don't know why one would want strings whose tension would be below the guitar's optimum range. I would think the lower tension strings are intended for very lightly built guitars whose I deal tension range is lower.
Oh ok. Then another question would be why Jason Mraz uses these black ball trebles anyways? The guitar he is using is a NS72CE and Taylor Guitars makes those guitars meant for extra hard tension. Why would Jason Mraz switch down to normal gauge (the folk nylon black balls?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical