The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 PM

How does your Mobile Cube compare to the AC-33 ?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM

The Mobile Cube, of course, is excellent for its size and configuration, but doesn't have the rich(er) tone of the AC-33. In short, I think the AC-33 is a step up in quality from the MC (in addition to having the looper, etc.

The reverb/ambience effects are much better for acoustic guitar in the AC-33 - i.e., the effects in general (EQ, chorus, reverb) are voiced for acoustic guitar, rather than trying to be all things to all people as in the MC.

For me, the bottom line is that I wouldn't have purchased the MC if the AC-33 had been available at the time, but I am glad I have the MC now as an excellent, tiny amp backup that has an acceptable acoustic sound, and won't be selling it on EBay (I did sell my Vox DA-5 and DA-10, which preceded the Mobile Cube) ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicksNStrings View Post
How does your Mobile Cube compare to the AC-33 ?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all your postings about the AC-33.

I currently use a Cube Street as my traveling amp. I like it because it has a decent tone for my instruments - a tenor ukulele w/piezo pickup, a lap steel guitar w/magnetic pickup and an acoustic guitar w/either a piezo or magnetic pickup. I also like the fact that it has a carrying case with a shoulder strap and the ease of packing the amp in my suitcase when I fly.

I recently bought a Fishman Loudbox 100 for my local gigs. I never paid much attention to acoustic amps, but now I realize what I have missing.

I will be checking out an AC-33 soon. How do you like it compared to a cube street? Do you hear much difference in the streets 6.5" speakers vs. the AC-33 5" speakers? Much volume difference between the two. Any word from Roland on a carrying case?

Thanks.

Gerald's Website
Gerald's YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/gbross
Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM

For me, the Cube Street sucked from my acoustic perspective. I thought the effects and tone were thin, oriented toward electric guitar (i.e., I didn't like electric guitar amps - microcube and up - for the same reasons). I was very disappointed, since the form factor really appealed to me.

That said, the Cube Street has a lot of good reviews on Harmony Central, so it may be just me....

But from my perspective, there is no contest. The AC-33 walks all over the Cube Street for my instrument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbross View Post
Thanks for all your postings about the AC-33.

I currently use a Cube Street as my traveling amp. I like it because it has a decent tone for my instruments - a tenor ukulele w/piezo pickup, a lap steel guitar w/magnetic pickup and an acoustic guitar w/either a piezo or magnetic pickup. I also like the fact that it has a carrying case with a shoulder strap and the ease of packing the amp in my suitcase when I fly.

I recently bought a Fishman Loudbox 100 for my local gigs. I never paid much attention to acoustic amps, but now I realize what I have missing.

I will be checking out an AC-33 soon. How do you like it compared to a cube street? Do you hear much difference in the streets 6.5" speakers vs. the AC-33 5" speakers? Much volume difference between the two. Any word from Roland on a carrying case?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM

I am excited about the AC-33 and am planning on A-B'ing with the Cube Street to see if I want to buy it.

From a traveling musician's perspective I like the bullet-proof design of the Cube Street - the metal grill, the heavy plastic corner bumpers and carrying case. The AC-33 with it's cloth grill cover and lack of corner bumpers is a defecit in that regard. The AC-33 does not have a carrying case with shoulder strap. A shoulder strap is the "friend" of the multi-instrumentalist.

But if the AC-33 can give me a better sound I will buy it and just be more careful with it when I travel. I also like the fact that it has:

1. A line out - sound men are always complaining about the Street's lack of this.

2. A dedicated volume control for the Aux in. I also teach when I travel and plug an Ipod with backing tracks into the amp.

How do the 5" speakers handle the bass of your low E and A strings?

Gerald's Website
Gerald's YouTube Channel
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM

I have a Cube Street, Micro Cube , and Cub RX.. all are pretty cool for electric guitar and my Yamaha Silent Guitar but just not good for acoustic guitars (if you want an acoustic sound that is).
Waiting to find/try the BA-330 to try with guitar and keys.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM

Fine for me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbross View Post
How do the 5" speakers handle the bass of your low E and A strings?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

thanks for the great review..

Love the amp..i used to have AC-60..

And I have been thinking either AER 60 Compact or SCHERTLER David..

I will try this amp at local guitar center..and hear how good this amp is..

BTW.. the guy who is playing with AC-33 is Tommy Walker..(not the long hair dude)..
Love his music..

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...ProductId=1052

yey!

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM

I played through the AC-33 at my gig last night. It was a "Chucky Cheese" night - 30+ teenager girls (visting LaCrosse teams) with all their voices pitched at presicely A-440 at 106 db.

Luckily they were seated way at the end of the room at a number of tables end-to-end, but the noise was deafening. I turned the volume on the AC-33 up to half before I started getting looks from closer tables and had to back off a bit...

That said, the regulars and restaurant workers commented on how much better the AC-33 sounded than my SoloAmp (and I really, REALLY like the Soloamp - if I had known about the LaCrosse teams, I would have brought it instead).

I think the AC-33's quality of sound is the best I have tried so far for relatively small, intimate venues where you're not providing dancing, or "get it on" music (i.e., trying to be a visual CD player with a bit of personality..:-) But it sure makes my nylon string Takamine TC132SC sound great. The amp may be too small if the crowd gets noisy (which is rare where I play).....

I'm still not altogether convinced it is a flat, dry pure FRFR - it sounds too good for that.........

YMMV, of course; I'd certainly like to hear others' reactions. This amp may not work for everyone, but for me it is a real keeper....
Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM

I just bought an AC-33 on Saturday. It sounds fantastic. So fantastic that I sold my Roland Cube Street yesterday on Ebay. The CS is a great amp but it's voiced for an electric guitar. The 33 is much better for my electric ukulele (piezo pickup) and Taylor acoustic (expression system pickup) and even my lap steel which has a traditional magnetic pickup.

Great amp!

Gerald's Website
Gerald's YouTube Channel
Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 AM

I just pulled the trigger on one of these from Sweetwater. They had a Valentines' Day promotion which helped out a bit.

I'll see what it's like in a few days, I hope. (They had one left when I called.)

Ray
Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Default AC-33 (and SoloAmp) with Boss BR-600/BR-900CD

I finally got around to trying the acoustic modelling in the Boss BR series (I had ignored them for a long time because the hardware (AD-8, etc.) had not done that much for me with the other amps I had auditioned....

I just tried the AC-33 with the BR-600 acting as a front end into the Aux In, using the |SML> DI + COMP2 (VO + ACOUSTIC) patch (U45) which is a guitar/mic patch. Turned reverb on a bit in the input, and it sounds just great.

It makes the SoloAmp sound gorgeous too (plugging into the Aux In).

For my application, the acoustic amp/BR-600 or BR-900CD are Killer! (they also give me a drum machine with my own samples and sequences, and the latter gives me the ability to play a CD for intermission)....

With the Tak pup/pamp, things just keep getting better. Now I got to figure out how to get back to 20 years old, when I started playing....
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
I Now I got to figure out how to get back to 20 years old, when I started playing....
Mirrors maybe??
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Mirrors maybe??
Naah, I already tried that.....
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I just pulled the trigger on one of these from Sweetwater. They had a Valentines' Day promotion which helped out a bit.

I'll see what it's like in a few days, I hope. (They had one left when I called.)

Ray
FedEx tried to deliver it yesterday (24 hrs after I placed the order!), but I wasn't home.

Got it today. I tried it out and I have to say I'm VERY impressed!

It sounds very good with the guitar (CA OX) plugged in directly and with the mike plugged in directly (I use a SM-57 with a windscreen for vocals).

Running the guitar/mike through my Mackie 802 it's phenomenal, considering its size.

The sound is equally as good as my Roland AC-90 (just not as loud). I also think the sound is cleaner than the AC-90 (which is really quite good).

I also set it up as a monitor for the AC-90 (my secondary usage for the AC-33) and was pleased with that.

Tonight, I'll give it a try using battery power only.

Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification