The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
I was a double reed player in another lifetime, and the time I spent fiddling around with reeds, cane, windings, shaping seemed unending. Picks, strings, etc. these all shape tone and volume. Learning to shape the sound of an instrument is part of the process of learning to play it. But then again, you probably know that.
LOL! Ya, I hear you. I have played clarinet for about 55 years, and sax for just under 50. Now lead tenor in an 18 piece big band, and clarinetist in a klezmer band, and smaller ensembles. Reed, you know, is a four letter word. And, to be sure, an obsession with mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures, barrels of different sizes, geometry and materials is no stranger to me.

But here is the interesting thing, and one that I have chewed on since I got my first guitar just one year ago. I play the same, solitary, clarinet I got 50 years ago, and have never pined for another. Same with my alto sax I got two years later, and my tenor sax about 7 years after that, which I purchased from my teacher's family when he passed away. Here is the point: I have never hankered after any woodwind instrument the way I do with guitars which I find so lust-worthy. Surely, spending time with you all gives that lust a place to roost. But, I occasionally visit clarinet and sax sites and come away totally GAS-free.

I know this is wildly off-topic, but it is my thread after all....
Guitars, to my eye and ear, are art. And I am an visual artist (photography), as well as a musician. And I collect art and fine wood furniture. The guitar, for good or ill, ticks all the boxes of my heart's desire.

My FB H12 is right next to me, a this very moment. Like a faithful dog, though one trimmed in curly maple, just waiting to be scratched. I glance over and admire it for what it is - an object of great visual beauty and the love child of extraordinarily skilled hands that put it into mine. It speaks to me silently, at rest. And when I awaken it with my clumsy fingers, it gives me back exactly what I merit. There is, perhaps, nothing so honest than a human-powered musical instrument. You get exactly what you are entitled to. Figuring out what it wants from me is truly an exciting new journey, though at 63, I do wish I had set out a bit sooner. But I believe all things come in their time. And I am working hard to be the player my guitars deserve.

Anyways, again, I am most grateful for this generous community of artists and kind souls. I hope, in time, I can begin to give back some of what I have taken from it.
David
Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Hello David-

Welcome to the rabbit hole!! I think it's a wonderful place to be

My best to you on your guitar journey!

beth
Beth,
Thank you for your kind note and links. I will surely look into the events you mention. In return, I can offer a fledgling one here in Maine: https://hallowell.org/luthiers/.
We are a small state, but have a deep bench - Bourgeois, Circa (John Slobod), Laurent Brondel, etc.

Best to you as well.
David
Old 02-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
LOL! Ya, I hear you. I have played clarinet for about 55 years, and sax for just under 50. Now lead tenor in an 18 piece big band, and clarinetist in a klezmer band, and smaller ensembles. Reed, you know, is a four letter word. And, to be sure, an obsession with mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures, barrels of different sizes, geometry and materials is no stranger to me.

But here is the interesting thing, and one that I have chewed on since I got my first guitar just one year ago. I play the same, solitary, clarinet I got 50 years ago, and have never pined for another. Same with my alto sax I got two years later, and my tenor sax about 7 years after that, which I purchased from my teacher's family when he passed away. Here is the point: I have never hankered after any woodwind instrument the way I do with guitars which I find so lust-worthy. Surely, spending time with you all gives that lust a place to roost. But, I occasionally visit clarinet and sax sites and come away totally GAS-free.

I know this is wildly off-topic, but it is my thread after all....
Guitars, to my eye and ear, are art. And I am an visual artist (photography), as well as a musician. And I collect art and fine wood furniture. The guitar, for good or ill, ticks all the boxes of my heart's desire.

My FB H12 is right next to me, a this very moment. Like a faithful dog, though one trimmed in curly maple, just waiting to be scratched. I glance over and admire it for what it is - an object of great visual beauty and the love child of extraordinarily skilled hands that put it into mine. It speaks to me silently, at rest. And when I awaken it with my clumsy fingers, it gives me back exactly what I merit. There is, perhaps, nothing so honest than a human-powered musical instrument. You get exactly what you are entitled to. Figuring out what it wants from me is truly an exciting new journey, though at 63, I do wish I had set out a bit sooner. But I believe all things come in their time. And I am working hard to be the player my guitars deserve.

Anyways, again, I am most grateful for this generous community of artists and kind souls. I hope, in time, I can begin to give back some of what I have taken from it.
David
Ha! I have thought about that a lot. I had the same clarinet and oboe all the way through conservatory. Even with fiddles, I play the same one constantly. I cannot say the same for guitar, although it was my first instrument in grade school, and my first obsession. I think it’s because there is so much variety, sound wise, and visually. Different guitars for different jams (depends if I want to be heard over the accordion player). The same for mandolins.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
Taylor 322e 12 frets sure don´t sound small.
I was just gonna say the same ... I have a Blackwood/hog 322 12 and if anything, I've gotta pay attention to not getting too loud on it.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Ha! I have thought about that a lot. I had the same clarinet and oboe all the way through conservatory.
"Misery stick(clarinet) lovers, unite."
David
Old 02-16-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
"Misery stick(clarinet) lovers, unite."
David
Lol. I haven’t heard it called that in ages.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I've found that classical builders that venture into steel string guitars produce some amazing instruments. They seem to understand how to get the most out of a top, because there's not a lot of string tension to work with; and classical players are very discriminating in terms of balance and tone. ChuckS and I have posted that notion in the past.

I think that's why my Rein 00 is what it is, but the first time it caught my attention was with this Traphagen 000. Put some headphones on and give it a listen. This is my "one that got away". When I was ready to pull the trigger on it, it was sold.
...[snip]....
I am definitely in line with this view of steel string guitars built by luthiers who started in classical guitars. They seem to be on the responsive side, but I think the luthiers have a focus on tone/balance/responsiveness over volume. (Not to say they aren't 'competitive' on the volume side, I just don't think that is their primary goal).

@dneal, congratulations on getting that Rein 00. I had checked that one out several times when it was being offered for sale.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-16-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Not to say they aren't 'competitive' on the volume side, I just don't think that is their primary goal
I agree, but I sometimes think volume is just a side-effect of responsiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
@dneal, congratulations on getting that Rein 00. I had checked that one out several times when it was being offered for sale.
Me too. I didn't buy it when it was available at Fazio's, but as fortune would have it a poster had it for sale when I was selling a Brook Taw. He offered it as a trade, and I couldn't be happier with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion