The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Finger zingers?

A couple years ago I re-entered the guitar world after a 30-yr hiatus. Since then I've been fingerpicking acoustic steel string most every day, usually for 30-60min or so. So the finger tip calluses on my left hand are fairly well developed. A few weeks ago I developed a pain in my left middle finger tip. I get a sharp pain while pressing on a string. Sort of like I hit a nerve. Now its starting to happen in my left index finger. I can't think of anything that's changed recently - other than new sets of strings, which seems an unlikely explanation.

Anyone else get these? Any solutions, other than stop playing? Maybe thimbles, which could also be a new kind of slide?
Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM

I have had this happen a couple of times, but it didn't last more than a day. It has only happened on my index finger for some reason. I don't have a good explanation for it.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I've had that happen and have heard others talk about it. Take a day or two off and it will go away. And come back on occasion. Nothing to worry about. More annoying than anything. Seems to be normal but a little disconcerting for sure. I always think that I must have some sort of metal sliver from the strings in there! That's what it feels like.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I always think that I must have some sort of metal sliver from the strings in there! That's what it feels like.
Yes, that's exactly what it feels like...
Old 02-15-2020, 08:48 PM

I’ve had it. Now we have a name for it!
Old 02-15-2020, 08:56 PM

Yup, this is a thing. Thankfully, short-lived.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 PM

Default Finger zingers?

I have had my index feel like a bruise a little. Oddly the classical seems to bring it on more. I almost think the thicker string is worse even though nylon is softer.
I heard one guy say not to press any harder than necessary Comes and goes. Always a hint of worry that it will get bad
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I can't think of anything that's changed recently - other than new sets of strings, which seems an unlikely explanation.
Different gauge strings? I've experienced this sort of sensitivity before, but it usually goes away after a day or two. I see it as an opportunity to work on my slide technique.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:09 PM

As mentioned previously, it will take some rest for the fingers, they're overworked after the hiatus. If I press the practice to 2-4 hrs. a day on weekends, that can happen, I just back off a bit and it remedies itself.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
Different gauge strings? I've experienced this sort of sensitivity before, but it usually goes away after a day or two. I see it as an opportunity to work on my slide technique.
''

Not a new gauge, but now that I think about it, I've added a new guitar into the mix in the past few weeks. Maybe I'm giving it the death grip. Good to know it goes away.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 PM

For me, these seem to happen when the callous has developed a high spot or some irregularity. I file the callous a bit and things get better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion